IDEA: Random Map settings to remember height and width.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

IDEA: Random Map settings to remember height and width.

Post by irrevenant »

IMO, it would be good if the Random Map settings screen remembered the parameters from last time. (I'm only using height and width at the moment, but I assume the other settings are lost between games too).

Thoughts?
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I'd like that too.
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

Agreed.

I can see very few reasons to not change it.
If you already have tweaked the settings for your own preferance there is probably less to change than from the default setting in nearly any chase.
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

But it will collide a little with an other (maybe underused) feature: You can create special random map scenario.
Check the files Random-something.cfg in data/multiplayer/scenarios. These default parameters are written in it. So you can create a new random map scenario "little-random-map.cfg" or "no-villages-random-map.cfg" and save it in your (user)/data/scenarios/multiplayer (probably also better to change the map name in the cfg file)

- If we save the last used settings (and of course use it for generating the map, I suppose that it's your point), it will overide the default parameters of the random scenario and so kill these random map specificities.

- Editing scenario files seems not handy, but the good point is that it allow you to "save" different settings, not just the last used.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Alink wrote:But it will collide a little with an other (maybe underused) feature: You can create special random map scenario.
Check the files Random-something.cfg in data/multiplayer/scenarios. These default parameters are written in it. So you can create a new random map scenario "little-random-map.cfg" or "no-villages-random-map.cfg" and save it in your (user)/data/scenarios/multiplayer (probably also better to change the map name in the cfg file)

- If we save the last used settings (and of course use it for generating the map, I suppose that it's your point), it will overide the default parameters of the random scenario and so kill these random map specificities.

- Editing scenario files seems not handy, but the good point is that it allow you to "save" different settings, not just the last used.
But it would be possible as well to keep a cache of settings for randommap scenarios that have specific name*, i.e. "settings cache for Winter random map".

Fortunately they already ought to be unique*.

(*): the id= value under the MP scenario tag, not the translatable name.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.