Somethings Fishy....

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dveman115

Somethings Fishy....

Post by Dveman115 »

I composed this after I went looking for 2hours for my glasses. Therefore, it is kind of a search theme if you will. Enjoy!

mp3= http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/MzQ5MDQ=

ogg= http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/MzQ5MDM=

(don't forget to critique! I'd love some constructive criticisms because I new at classical music.)
hagabaka

Post by hagabaka »

The high-pitch violin part sounds like a speed-up version of a segment from a Twelve Kingdoms soundtrack. For a sample of that track, go to this page (Japanese), scroll to the list of tracks, and click the Real or Windows Media icon next to the 12th track. (This direct link might work, or try [url=mms://streamingsv3.jmd.ne.jp/locker03/016/4988002433384_20020/001/001/SF012_G2104554.wma]this[/url]).

Well it might be just a coincidence (seems unlikely to me, because it sounds like exactly the same pitch, only faster tempo), and if you did "borrow" this part I don't know whether it's short enough to be justified.
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

No, I did not borrow it, and I had no knowledge that song even existed. I know the flute and oboe sections need to be lowered in volume, and I know the end BANG is bad, but other then that do you like it?
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Hm. Musically it's not bad, if a little repetetive. It has a sort of classic horror movie feel, which might or might not be appropriate for BfW (depends on the context it is used I suppose).

However, the big problem with it -- aside from that it's too short and I need to hear more in order to give you proper feedback -- is that the samples are no good. Actually, most of them are really really bad. All instruments have a nervous, buzzing quality like they're pitched way above their natural range (even though I can hear that they aren't). What are you using, some kind of physical modeling soft synth?

If you are serious about contributing to Wesnoth, you should get yourself better samples. The ones you're using now just won't cut it I'm afraid.
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

West wrote: I'm afraid.
I'm very afraid :wink:

but really, I know what you mean. The problem is that I have a great midi keyboard at home with great instramints on it, but I can't find any software that lets me use those. If you know how to get this to work with reaper, then I would be very grateful. Do you know how to do this at all? (use sounds from the keyboard and not from the program).
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Dveman115 wrote:The problem is that I have a great midi keyboard at home with great instramints on it, but I can't find any software that lets me use those. If you know how to get this to work with reaper, then I would be very grateful. Do you know how to do this at all? (use sounds from the keyboard and not from the program).
Well I have both REAPER and some outboard gear so I should be able to figure it out (I've never used an external module with REAPER though). I'll have a look at it as soon as I find the time.

Be aware though that there is no hardware unit in existance that will give you the sound quality, power and flexibility that a software sampler will. When it comes to sampled sounds, computers are making traditional hardware synths obsolete.

I'm not saying it can't sound good, mind you; a couple of TimothyP's tracks in mainline were made with a Korg Triton with an orchestral expansion IIRC, and those sound fine, if a bit muddy. But you just can't compare any hardware stuff with the software around these days, it's a whole other world of realism and quality.

Uh... I think I was trying to make a point here... oh, right.

Don't expect your synth to be everything you need. I still think that if you're serious about writing orchestral stuff, you should get your hands on the best sounds you possibly can. Doesn't have to be VSL or anything, but I'm fairly sure that a h/w unit really won't be good enough.

Then again, please do prove me wrong. Sample quality isn't all, a big part is also how you use whatever equipment is available to you :)
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

This music sounds like you sampled loads of classical CDs and added them together. Am i right?

Sounds cool though! ;) (where is Dracula?)

Aleksi.
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

West wrote:Don't expect your synth to be everything you need.
I know, but it will really help me I'm sure.

Also, Aleksi, I actually bought a cd with some classical samples, and I composed this using them. But some of the samples could have been inspired by Dracula :wink:

but yeah, I intend to make the above changes tonight or tomorrow, so I'll tell you when the link is updated. BTW, thanks for all your help.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Well as it turns out I can't find a proper midi cable (I thought I had one... but I must have lent it to someone or lost it *shrug*) so I can't really say if this will work, but...

First of all, you need a midi cable with both a gameport plug and a standard DIN midi plug.

Secondly, IIRC, you'll have to this:

1. Connect the gameport plug to your soundcard

2. Connect the midi OUT plug to the midi IN jack on your synth

3. Connect the midi IN plug to the midi OUT jack on your synth

4. Connect your synth's audio output to line in on your soundcard using the proper cable (I'm assuming L/R mono phone plugs to mini stereo phone plug)

Then, in REAPER, create a new track, open the I/O routing for the track, and under "MIDI hardware output" select your soundcard's MIDI out as a source. You also need to select the soundcard's midi IN as your preferred input device in Preferences -> MIDI hardware settings.

I *think* that should work, but I can't promise anything. I'm flying blind here as I can't test the procedure. Also, all the above is assuming that you have an old fashioned gameport on your soundcard. Otherwise you must get yourself some kind of MIDI/USB interface... which means you're on your own, I've never used any stuff like that ;)
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

West wrote: some kind of MIDI/USB interface... which means you're on your own, I've never used any stuff like that ;)
Well, as it turns out...lol I just bought one of those :wink: Your process worked, except I still can't get the VST's on the keyboard to play in reaper. I get it to record, but it sounds like Grand Piano. Any help here? The docs are no use when I comes to that...
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Dveman115 wrote:Your process worked, except I still can't get the VST's on the keyboard to play in reaper. I get it to record, but it sounds like Grand Piano. Any help here? The docs are no use when I comes to that...
Hm, actually I have no idea why that happens. If you have loaded a VSTi into the track, it *should* play back with the VSTi and not midi out.
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

West wrote:
Dveman115 wrote:Your process worked, except I still can't get the VST's on the keyboard to play in reaper. I get it to record, but it sounds like Grand Piano. Any help here? The docs are no use when I comes to that...
Hm, actually I have no idea why that happens. If you have loaded a VSTi into the track, it *should* play back with the VSTi and not midi out.
I think thats my problem.

How do I import the keyboards VSTi into the fx chain?
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Dveman115 wrote:I think thats my problem.

How do I import the keyboards VSTi into the fx chain?
I'm sorry, I don't follow you. Exactly what do you mean by "the keyboards VSTi"? :?
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

I mean the synths that are on the keyboard. I don't the exact terminology for it... know what I mean?
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

I think this is not possible at all. (You want the synth sounds from the keyboard in your computer?)

You can use your keyboard only as playback machine or as input machine, but can't copy the samples of the keyboard.