Fake attributions for the start of game hints?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Fake attributions for the start of game hints?

Post by irrevenant »

Currently all the hints at the start of game are attributed to "The Tome of Wesnoth". It might add a bit of flavour if the hints were all attributed to characters, some of which we've heard of from campaigns, some of which we haven't.

eg.

Code: Select all

"Arcane Attacks are very powerful against Undead."
--High Mage Delfador, 515YW.
Hints that use explicit game terminology might be better attributed to texts eg.

"Units are healed when they advance a level.  Used wisely this can turn a fight."
--Garard's Treatise on Strategic Matters, Volume III.
What do you think?
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I like it, adds flavor. Wasn't some custom era doing something similar with unit descriptions?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Another nice peice of flavor, It'd be nice to see this implimented but I won't at all be disapointed if it isn't.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
CIB
Code Contributor

Re: Fake attributions for the start of game hints?

Post by CIB »

irrevenant wrote:

Sounds good, but I hope THAT doesn't get added :p It's not like Delfador first discovered undead I guess.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Sounds like a fun idea. It might be interesting to have them attributed both to major campaign characters, and completely new and made up characters which would leave those open for campaign authors to expand upon if the inspiration hit.

It would also be great if some of them could be altered in style to fit the speaker - attributing something simple to Gruu and putting it in trollish grammar would be wicked, similarly attributing something to an elf and making it verbose and slightly arrogant would be cool.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Great idea...
CIB wrote:
irrevenant wrote:

Sounds good, but I hope THAT doesn't get added :p It's not like Delfador first discovered undead I guess.
Ditto. Why not attribute it to <insert human name here>, mage of the Crown for the Green Isle people? Remember that according to TRoW, that was where humans learned to use magic against undead, for the first time ever.

I hope English-natives can kill time with this though. If you keep them coming to this thread, then they can be migrated directly to the game.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Shadow Master wrote:<insert human name here>
how about Yygwyw? (yeah i think ive got a good hand at wesnothian personal names now)
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Imho implementing this would be a bit of a waste of time. So where do you guys think the tome of Wesnoth comes from? Surely not from some random peasant, but rather from some of the most famous Wesnothian heroes, like, yes, Delfador. Imo it would be more useful to rather add a few more hints to the tome than to change the --the Tome of Wesnoth-- -thingie. Just my opinion... :|
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Clonkinator wrote:Imo it would be more useful to rather add a few more hints to the tome than to change the --the Tome of Wesnoth-- -thingie.
The second idea does not preclude the first. [EDIT] Like Velensk, I support both ideas
Clonkinator wrote:So where do you guys think the Tome of Wesnoth comes from? Surely not from some random peasant, but rather from some of the most famous Wesnothian heroes, like, yes, Delfador.
I'm sure it does. And the book would have collected these quotes and cited the authors in a manner like I described.

However, that's a moot point: I'm not saying the current approach is invalid, I'm just saying it would add more flavour to the game if the quotes included attributions to the author.

If a little bit of the Wesnoth setting history can be integrated into the game in a non-obtrusive way, that's a win in my book.
Last edited by irrevenant on October 27th, 2007, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Clonkinator wrote:Imho implementing this would be a bit of a waste of time. So where do you guys think the tome of Wesnoth comes from? Surely not from some random peasant, but rather from some of the most famous Wesnothian heroes, like, yes, Delfador. Imo it would be more useful to rather add a few more hints to the tome than to change the --the Tome of Wesnoth-- -thingie. Just my opinion... :|
I don't think it would take much time at all to alter the text that appears or add more hints (which I also support).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Well, you two guys have a point there. Okay, after some thinking about...
1. I'd still say, leave the --the Tome of Wesnoth-- -thingie, and add the name of some guy below that. That would still add flavor.

2. If the developers think they have enough time to add both those quotes and a few more hints to the tome, okay, so be it.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I think it's a good idea.
Feel free to take the full list (data/hardwired/tips.cfg, available here: http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trun ... d/tips.cfg) and send us a patch on http://patches.wesnoth.org
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
hagabaka

Post by hagabaka »

I think this would be good if done right, but many of the existing tips would make it difficult, as they mention things like "8 HP", "hex", "level up", "right click", "preferences menu".

It seems the tips could be categorized as pertaining to strategy, game mechanics and controls. Most strategy tips and some mechanics tips can conceivably be attributed to in-game characters, while the rest wouldn't. So should we keep the Tome of Wesnoth for the second type of tips?
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

irrevenant wrote: eg.

actually i think:

"Arcane attacks are very powerful against nonhuman beeings, especially against most Undead"
would be more appropriate. A general update of those hints could be done at the same time...

otherwise I like your proposal :wink:

edit: maybe I am out of date... seems tips are beeing modified just at this monet^^
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

hagabaka wrote:It seems the tips could be categorized as pertaining to strategy, game mechanics and controls. Most strategy tips and some mechanics tips can conceivably be attributed to in-game characters, while the rest wouldn't. So should we keep the Tome of Wesnoth for the second type of tips?
See my first post in this thread. :) I think that game mechanics tips should be attributed to fictitious strategic texts such as "Garard's Treatise on Strategic Matters, Volume III".

The trouble with "The Tome of Wesnoth" is that it's so broad that it's meaningless. It's like having a book called "The Book of Australia".