i need help thinking of campaign ideas

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wesfreak

i need help thinking of campaign ideas

Post by wesfreak »

i want to make my own campaign and i am thinking of story ideas. one of them is a 300 scenerio were u start off with very little money, but u are a lvl 4 and can recruit lvl 3 people, there is around 3 ork kingdoms with like 1000 gold each but alll the leaders are lvl 2, and there is impassible mountains ore cave walls in between your armies, with only a small opening. please give suggestions for other scenerios, or if u think it is good or bad.

my other idea is that u are a dragon, which is lvl 5, and u have an undead dragon and yeti people u sart off with. u can recruit yetis, drakes scorpions, wolves and griffens. You want to take over the world, so u need to destrouy 10 ork, elf, dwarf, undead, loyalist and bandit leaders. rate my idea and give story suggestions.

the last idea is u are a wild elf leader ( sidhe forefather ) and u are best friends with an ancient lich, so u can recruit other wild elfe lvl 1 and 0, and skeleton archers, warriors and walking corps. youre real leader is a lvl 0 and cannot lvl. after a daily training ( 15 turns of killing quinains and dolls ) you explore the woods and find a flaiming sword , 16-4 melee, a thunder stick, 32-2 melee and range and the scepter of fire, 16-4 range ( it think ) then u are a weopans master and if u die the enemy gets all the weopans so u lose automatically. after that there are like 15 different races sorrounding your forrest home and u need to get out. then u find out that an organasation called the black hand, led by an undead dragon, is taking over all the species to destroy wesnoth. the rest of the campaign is trying to get to the black hand leader.

what do u think about my scenerios :?: , and if u have any ideas for any of them post them please :!: :!:
Last edited by wesfreak on October 29th, 2007, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

None of the above.

A 300 scenario campaign where you start off with lvl 4s and 3s? The largest campaign is HttT and that's only in the 20s. Also, if you start at the top you won't promote too much. Even Age of Heroes MP has you with a lvl 3 leader recruiting lvl 1s and 2s.

10 fights each with 6 different races (thus 60 scenario) campaign where you're a dragon and have to recruit an odd mix of wildlife and drakes that would never conceivably unite under one banner? Not really probable to fit into Wesnoth cannon or completable. This will not only be huge but boring and repetitive.

A confusing mix of Sidhe and Undead that probably would be more frustrating than fun? What's with mixing all of the best weapons in one unit? Talk about overpowered.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

firstly i could change it and make the campaigns and programming myself, thats how they make add-ons

secondly with only one leader at a time would be boring and easy; u would fight like three or four enemy leaders at once

i guess i could screw the undead in the sidhe campaign, but the overpowered is cool and fun, plus if i dont overpower him i would need to protect like 10 people in total
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

wesfreak wrote:firstly i could change it and make the campaigns and programming myself, thats how they make add-ons
What do you mean by that? If you mean you can make 300 good-quality scenarios by yourself, good luck.
wesfreak wrote:secondly with only one leader at a time would be boring and easy; u would fight like three or four enemy leaders at once
15-20 scenarios would doable, but that would still get boring and repetitive fast without twists. This would be especially boring if you start with units that are strong so there's no point of building an army that gets stronger as the campaign progresses. Play the mainline campaigns, btw - not every scenario is a massive all-out battle against 4 AI.
wesfreak wrote:i guess i could screw the undead in the sidhe campaign, but the overpowered is cool and fun, plus if i dont overpower him i would need to protect like 10 people in total
Overpowered may be "cool and fun" to you, but if there is no challenge, then the campaign isn't fun to play for everyone else.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

i didnt mean 300 scenerios, i mean like the famous battle of sparta with only 300 men that the greeks have and around 100 000 that the romans have: quantity vs quality while defending in a small space

you're right, it will get boring over time, but if you change it to something like monkey becomes ape becomes gorrilla becomes yeti, and dragon hatch ling, young dragon, so on so forth. it just like a multiplayer game where u can recall units

it would be overpowered if everybody had an awsome weopan set, i just made that so that you can see the story from a warriors point of view, not the leaders
aelius

Post by aelius »

I, for one, think you should research the battle of Thermopylae a bit more before writing a campaign based on it. There were probably about 7000 Greeks all told, and there were no Romans at all! Herodotus is a good place to start.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

You have your history a bit wrong - the Spartans lost the battle, all dying, and it was against the Persians. A campaign like this would only be one scenario and end in defeat (unless you make it a survive-x-turns scenario, but that's been done a million times). Abusing bottlenecks would be boring.

Why create an entire line of wildlife monsters for that campaign? Again, it wouldn't even make sense that they unite under one organized banner to take on just about everyone on the continent. Instead, why not use an existing (or at least plausible) faction (default or otherwise)?

Your leader would still be overpowered, and it would cause people to overuse the leader and not recruit very many other soldiers.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

i should have edited that. i knew the spartens fought the persions and i didn't know how many people, i just knew they were outnumbered and defended through a mountain passage,so they were winining until some dude told the persions how to get around the mountains. i appriciate you for correcting me but this is off topic. please rate the camapaign ideas and help me finish them in this case.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

In my opinion, the original post has too much emphasis on "u are a lvl 4 and the enemy leaders are lvl 2" technical stuff. For me the story is what gets my interest first. Of course you can find a nice story for probably any setting.

The first story is "a few superheroes vs lame hordes". This explains what happens, but not why. Are superheroes defending from a (surprise) attack? Or are they going to enemy territory and attacking, because they want to... get somewhere? ...find something? Answer this, and you have a hint for the following scenarios. For example:

Hordes of orcs are gathering to attack an unsuspecting peaceful human kingdom. Luckily, a few heroes were walking around the border and saw the approaching hordes. They were in an advantageous position (and also had the element of surprise working for them, because attackers did not expect any resistance yet), so they decided to try their luck and stop the hordes. This is scenario #1. What next? The first wave of attackers is beaten, but many more are coming. And there are probably other ways around, so someone must go home and warn other humans. Or maybe the heroes should take initiative and try to find and destroy the leader(s) of the whole invasion. Or they can try to find some artifact or helpful wizard, who would help them win the war. Or the party can split... some will go home, some will stay and defend.

It is important that not all scenarios should be the same. Some could be "resist X turns" (against invasion, until help comes), some "kill enemy leaders", some "go there in time limit" (run home to warn others). Although the campaign would usually be strong superheroes vs weak but many enemies, some scenarios could be an exception. For example a messenger is running home to organize an armed resistance. At the beginning you have only one runner, no ability to recruit, but whenever the messengers enter a village he did not enter yet, a few peasants appear there to join him.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

at first i wanted to make a spartens vs persians kinda thing, where the empire people attack the loyallist, except there would be a turn time limit, and any way the spartens loose. so then i started thinking this is after the orks, empire, undead and drakes have taken over a certain kingdom while working together because they are all hypnotized by an evil archmage, and this is after the battle was lost and you are like 4 peasants that desided and a mage that decided to rebel, and you have a shop and the scenerio is like that, except afterwords there is a scenerio were you need to find and kill the leader with the same people. how is that?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Incoherint
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

i mean like the campaigns when you can choose what lvl you are and that desides your money amount, and you can buy weapons and damage and more meelee and range strikes at sign posts which are shops. you can not recruit people in these campaigns,.

these campaings are on multyplayer server, you should play them, but i dont know how to start them, if someon knows please post it. if someone knows how to make a picture under you name, also tell me.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

1 Those arn't Campains, they are senarios.
2 I have played a couple of those, I don't like them.
3 Why are you posting this in the stratagy forum?
4 To get an avatar modify your profile.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Incompetent

Re: i need help thinking of campaign ideas

Post by Incompetent »

wesfreak wrote:i want to make my own campaign and i am thinking of story ideas. one of them is a 300 scenerio were u start off with very little money, but u are a lvl 4 and can recruit lvl 3 people, there is around 3 ork kingdoms with like 1000 gold each but alll the leaders are lvl 2, and there is impassible mountains ore cave walls in between your armies, with only a small opening. please give suggestions for other scenerios, or if u think it is good or bad.
In long campaigns, later missions are sometimes like this anyway. The enemy throws dozens of low-level units at you, but seeing as you have two Mages of the Light, two Royal Guards, a Great Mage, an Iron Mauler, a Grand Knight. a Grand Marshal and a host of level 2s, the enemy will be turned into sausage filler as soon as they go near you. The way these missions are made worth playing I suppose is to have so many enemies that it's difficult to blast your way through to the leader in the given number of turns, or more likely to mix in enough high-level enemy units that they can actually breach your lines.