Wesnoth keeps crashing

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Wesnoth keeps crashing

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Sometimes when I start up BfW, it makes the screen black but doesn't change the resolution, then a while later it quits. If I try to start it again after this, the same thing happens. Only restarting the computer fixes it.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

This is in Mac OS X 10.3.3.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
akeem

Post by akeem »

I am working with 10.3.4 and have absolutely no start up problems. Not with any Wesnoth version as far as I can remember.
Maybe try to setup a new user account , install wesnoth only (no additional apps) and see if the problem is still there. Maybe it is just something which makes problems together with wesnoth.
Can you give more details of your system? One monitor or two?
Elvish_Pillager

One monitor. One thing I notice is that this happens with several other games that change resolution, but not all.
akeem

Post by akeem »

What mac model is it?
graphics card?
Elvish_Pillager

I forgot to mention- This always happens after I 'don't install' something.

It happens other times, too.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Elvish Pillager wrote:One monitor. One thing I notice is that this happens with several other games that change resolution, but not all.
In that case, this sounds like a problem with your system.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Elvish_Pillager

I'll invstigate that. But can you explain this?
Elvish Pillager wrote:This always happens after I 'don't install' something.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I'll invstigate that. But can you explain this?
Elvish Pillager wrote:This always happens after I 'don't install' something.
Nope. I can't really explain the bug at all, except that it appears a problem with your system and applications that require changing resolution.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

My suspicion is that it is an SDL bug. I had noticed it before I'd ever heard of Wesnoth. Dominons used to crash when switching to the desktop and back in that exact way. This is one of the reasons I prefer to run SDL apps in a window. Of course I don't know that it is SDL for sure.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sithrandel wrote:My suspicion is that it is an SDL bug. I had noticed it before I'd ever heard of Wesnoth. Dominons used to crash when switching to the desktop and back in that exact way. This is one of the reasons I prefer to run SDL apps in a window. Of course I don't know that it is SDL for sure.
It wouldn't surprise me if it were an SDL bug.

Unfortunately it's hard to expect the SDL guys to fix it unless we can get it down to a minimal reproduction case.

David
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Dave wrote:Unfortunately it's hard to expect the SDL guys to fix it unless we can get it down to a minimal reproduction case.
That is always the problem. I haven't managed to track it down yet. There are likely circumstances, but no definite ones.
Star Gazer

Is this related?

Post by Star Gazer »

Hi guys,

I don't know if this isn't a completely different phenomenon, but I have been getting a curious hiccup where it stops saving games when you finish your turn, and you can't manually save either, and then a unit may become 'invisible', but the AI can see it even if you can't!

This usually occurs after prolongued playing with many saves. This is in OS 10.2.8. I'm going to try some games in OS 10.3.4 to see if I can replicate the problem, and eliminate my system from the equation.

Has anyone else had this quirk?
Sithrandel

Re: Is this related?

Post by Sithrandel »

Star Gazer wrote:This usually occurs after prolongued playing with many saves. This is in OS 10.2.8. I'm going to try some games in OS 10.3.4 to see if I can replicate the problem, and eliminate my system from the equation.
Anything surfacing only after prolonged play tends to suggest memory leaks / pointer corruption. The OS comparison would be useful though.
wobbegong

Post by wobbegong »

Played a lot under 10.3.4 and not had this problem yet.

Sometimes played for hours, multiple scenarios, occasional saves in scenario (phone rings, need food, or somesuch minor distraction...) and saves at end of scenarios. Not seen this problem.

Will drop a note in if it does happen though. Using a 12" powerbook though so not normally changing resolution, but have tried using external monitor (normally 1280x1024 so resoution was going down) and that hasn't crashed. Have also run a fair amount changing to windowed mode to do some work in another app before coming back to Wesnoth and no crashes there for me.

Good luck tracking it down.

Cheers,

Tim.