Necromancer names and titles

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

waw

Post by waw »

Moff... Muff... the only difference is you!

UR... sry.. bad joke
What would you give for your freedom?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

As with most other things in Wesnoth, I'm pretty sure we just pulled it out of our ass. There's no sense, story, or meaning.

Cripes, Muff just sounds .. cuddly, rather than scary. It sounds like a muppet, or a teddy bear or something. :?
waw

Post by waw »

Well the writers should throw a story out there! A necromancer campaign (mainline!)

That could actually be pretty interesting... playing AS the villain.. not a heroic necromancer or anything.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

waw wrote:That could actually be pretty interesting... playing AS the villain.. not a heroic necromancer or anything.
It's called The Dark Hordes, it is the awesomest wesnoth campaign ever made. It used to be mainline. Now, it no longer exists.
waw

Post by waw »

Why doesn't it exist?

Is there a list of current mainline campaigns?

(The game comes with like 6, the rest are add-ons... so my question is are there add-ons that are mainline and is there a list on which ones are canon or not?)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

waw wrote:(The game comes with like 6, the rest are add-ons... so my question is are there add-ons that are mainline and is there a list on which ones are canon or not?)
Try 1.3.6, it comes with 10 campaigns, in one of which you even get to play undead. But most of the new campaigns still suffer from bugs in 1.3.6, in 1.3.7 (whenever it comes out) they should be much less buggy (as well as including yet another campaign).
waw

Post by waw »

Ah I see. So campaigns are being ironed for it.

Does that undead campaign focus on any of this stuff?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

waw wrote:Ah I see. So campaigns are being ironed for it.

Does that undead campaign focus on any of this stuff?
Not really. Now that you mention it, it would be sort of neat to include at least some explanations of things like this in it, perhaps.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Urs wrote:
waw wrote:That could actually be pretty interesting... playing AS the villain.. not a heroic necromancer or anything.
It's called The Dark Hordes, it is the awesomest wesnoth campaign ever made. It used to be mainline. Now, it no longer exists.
Descent into Darkness (mainline since BfW 1.3.4 IIRC) kind of satisfies me. The "Descent into Darkness" scenario (last one before Forever and Ever) stabbed my heart... I almost cried. (no exaggeration)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Grand Moff Tarkin wrote:Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin, thank you very much.
Moff was a fictitious word that came from Mauf... It was an old proto-germanic word, that no one's quite sure where it came from(that is the word still exists, but it hasn't been used in so long that it's exact meaning and context is unsure), but it was somewhat synonymous with 'thane,' which was basically what a Moff is in the Star Wars universe. Muff might be linked to Mauf, but perhaps it was just Muff.
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

The word 'Muff' does exist in german.
it means something along: 'air that is a bit stinky' or 'the smell of an old cellar'

not that bad for undead ^^

-edit:
looked for a dictionary entry: http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/Muf ... ft%5D.html
Last edited by Lorbi on October 25th, 2007, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- ^ --
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

The word "muff" exists in English too, but none of the meanings are as undead-appropriate as the German ones Lorbi brought up. The only one that seems somewhat appropriate is the "bungle, perform clumsily" one, seeing as Muff Malal is a rather pathetic foe.
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

Muff is a Swedish association for politically right wing young people. That must be it.. :P
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber