Samurai

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
mpolo

Samurai

Post by mpolo »

I'm working on a "visit to the East" campaign, and so am needing a lot of graphics.... Here is my first attempt at creating a 1st level Samurai character. Note that the look is almost completely stolen from a post on "Pixelation" by "Element man", but every pixel is my own. (That is, I followed his look and feel, but drew it myself. This is particularly obvious in the "action" shots.)

What do you think?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

That guy is huge! Make him a bit smaller.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

The images looks far to large, but when I looked at image properties it said 72x72.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Images can be to large but still fit inside 72 x 72, the problem is that the image is out of scale compared to other units; this guy while human competes in size with the biggest of drakes, trolls and the yeti. the best thing to do is have an unit of the same race next to the unit you want to make as example of the size it should be.
mpolo

Another try

Post by mpolo »

Here's take two (or three if you count the one I was too embarassed to show...) What do you think? (Update: he loses a lot of weight when he picks up that bow... I'll have to add a pixel or two there at least.)

Level two will add some armor and a boring helmet and level three will have a cool samurai helmet -- I think there's already one somewhere in contributions that I can snag...
Roel

Post by Roel »

the one with the bow looks a bit odd, like his arm is to short or something, the others look fine
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Heads are too small. Make sure to get the proportions right.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

'looks like the tribe that shrink heads and dries them... :lol: :roll: :wink:
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

http://spellsandwhistles.net/archive.php?cid=000024

Or he's the minion of an evil overlord!
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

The defense position doesn't make any sense. I don't know what position you did intend, but it looks like no position one would use to defend with a katana.
Most likely positions would be above the head, tip lower then handle or an angled cut designed to deflect the blow of the enemy.
The attack position is better although the sword should be centered in the middle of the body or you should change the angle of the sword (keep the cutting edge where it is and move the backside to the left of the samurai).
About the bow: IIRC it should be held with one third of it below the hand and the string is drawn back much more for sure. If need be, I can ask people who train with the traditional bow of the Samurai tomorrow. :-)

PS: I do train with a katana myself.
mpolo

Post by mpolo »

Here are "bigger head" versions. I was actually trying to get the bow gripped on the low 1/3 end, but apparently not enough. I'll probably leave this "beginner" defending in his silly way and use better positions for the more advanced units.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

It's been some time since I've seen the last demonstration of Kyudo, but I'd say that he's got to grip the bow still lower. On the other hand, it's too short anyway. If it's meant to be a japanese longbow, it must be ~2 meters tall.
For the sword positions - you can keep the attack position as a beginner move (although it's hard to cut anything that way) but the defense position is really silly. Anyone trying to defend in this way is probably no risk at all because he'll cut himself on attacking. :D
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

instead of creating new images, i've found it is probably better to do an edit of a human unit like the spearman to get what you want. it will look much more 'wesnothish' that anything you can do on your own, at least until you get the hang of it.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm