Extended Era revived - version 36

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

To be a bit more precise. If I would care that my stuff goes mainline I wouldn't be here anymore. So such remarks affect me peripheric.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Shadow wrote:I really like the idea of a unique leader choice like the loyalist Sergeant. Too add some further flavor to the Aragwaith I wanted to add something similar. The plan was something melee oriented without ranged but rather quick, impact and blade damage.
Melee-oriented, no ranged, rather quick, impact and blade damage....

The first thought that comes to my mind is "How about a mounted officer? If done right (e.g., Khalifa), it would not disrupt the balance.

On the other hand, though, how many heavy-armored horsemen on slow horses can one era tolerate?
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Definitly no rider! I prefer horses in my sausage. Aside that the animations are a pain.
With quick I mean 6 moves. He would be equipped with some kind of iron gloves. Like the ones in this corny chinese martial art movies.
I just have the ideas for the graphics only the balance bugs me.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well i don't mind having a new Aragwaith unit.
Btw in my mind, the natural leader for the faction was rather the Flagbearer line, and ne fact it can be obtained by levelup recruited unit is IMHO a nice addition.

We could probably modify the Loyalists by giving this option the the Lieutenant line (as a levelup of the Spearman or the Fencer (for the Fencer, it make more sense IMHO, but the resistance/defense change might look a little strange).
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

Why not simply add sergeants as recruitable units for the loyalists ? They are mainline units and they level into lieutenants.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Yeah the flagbearer is the natural leader though he was never planed that he would be it. The only effective alternative is the Wizard but he is also more support than an attack unit and the others are too fragile and dicey to use in direct combat.

The new one would be slightly more durable and would have some extra punch with the impact attack.

The Sergeants as recruit would be nice because with an advancement he would loose the first level. For the advancement route the Spear man is the most fitting me thinks.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Noyga wrote:We could probably modify the Loyalists by giving this option the the Lieutenant line (as a levelup of the Spearman or the Fencer (for the Fencer, it make more sense IMHO, but the resistance/defense change might look a little strange).
Yes, if the lieutenant were to level up from an existing unit, it would indeed make more sense for him to level up from the Fencer, insofar as the Fencer was meant to be a more aristocratic unit and would therefore be a more likely choice for the officer core in a medieval society.
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

So, how do I attach this file to my game if I am installing the era in one computer and transporting it to another to attach to my game in the latter computer?

Sorry, I suck at computers... :oops:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Inside wesnoth folder go to userdata/data/campaigns folder.

Copy the folder extended era and the cfg file and paste it inside your other cpu placing it on the same place you took it.

In this case in your other cpu wesnoth/userdata/data/campaings

Its that easy. :)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

I played around with the Windsong on SP ToTN and I think they need a lot of adjustments.

The only effective strategy for them right now is relying on lots of gatekeepers, backed with Scribes for slowing.

1. All other Windsong unit damage is ridiculously weak. Whereas other faction's level 1s tend to average 20-24 damage, their units average 15. That's like... a chaotic or lawful faction's damage in their -25% phase. Their level 2s hit at everyone else's level 1, and level 3s hit at level 2 strength. When you add in the fact that their units are all incredibly expensive (17, 19, 20), it just makes them a high cost, low damage faction.

2. XP reqs need to be reduced.
All their level 1s have really weak attacks compared to other factions, so their XP reqs should be lower (similar to say... orcs). All their units are 40, 44, or 48 right now.

3. Scribes
I think they're fine. Slow is arguably a bit too powerful. But then, the faction does almost no damage so maybe not.

4. Seekers
I think the pathfinder farstrider path needs their terrain defense changed to an elusivefoot. They have the elusivefoot damage penalties after all! I'll also mention 7-3 backstab is just like a thief level 1.

5. Weaver
Damage damage damage. I mean.. 4-3 slow for a level 2? And leadership doesn't mean much when your whole faction does barely any damage so that +25% is negligible >.<. Makes all those 5-3 attacks into 6-3.

6. Courier -> Reaver is really strange.
They go from 8 speed to 4? From a scout unit to some kind of slow melee troop? In addition, the reaver movetype is horrendous.

7. Increase the Gatekeeper and lorekeeper speed to 5!
Also, decrease castle and village defense to 60% (currently 70%).
Or give them 1 movement through forest and hills and leave it at 4 speed.
But the defense thing definitely needs to be changed.
4 speed with horrible movetype makes them absurdly hard to use, especially since these units are supposed to be frontline for your other troops (which all move at 5).

8. Sky crystals
I think teleport, 6 movement, and good defense and resists on a level 0 is unnecessary.

Oh one more comment.
Elven Faeries: Why lawful? I thought the whole faction's strength was in the fact that they were neutrals >.<
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I agree that Windsong are weak, the AI is particularly not good at handling them.
Kalis wrote:Elven Faeries: Why lawful? I thought the whole faction's strength was in the fact that they were neutrals >.<
I think that unit was designed to replace the mage, which in Default is in both Loyalists and Rebels (elves).
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

I know aethaeryn.
However, while mages at level 1 are lawful, red mages are neutral. I would of thought sylvans would get a neutral "red mage".

edit:
also, I think that the faerie needs an XP reduction.
At 80% XP, they still need 56XP to hit level 2. Shouldn't that be down to around 36-40? Especially since the level 2 doesn't provide a huge survivability boost (22 to 32 - but 32 is still very killable).

That said, I really like the unit concept.

By comparison, the mage at 5-3 / 7-3 / 9-3 requires 48. By at level 2 the red mage has a dramatic hp boost (24 to 42).
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

As suggestion for Aragwaithi.

They die so fast that it is ridiculous.
If the Dark Elf player is good enough, he can run over the Aragwaithi, so can loyalist.

But, I think a 10% improvement in grass, forest, etc. would balance it out.

They should have good defense since they are "nimble"

Also, for the Khalifa, you might want to improve the descriptions.

All the level 2 and three descriptions are : "only the best ______ can become a _________" or that the are scary.

Some of the Khalifa descriptions are very good, but others need some tweaking.

If needed, I can give some suggestions or re-writes, but since I can't program, I'll have to settle for posting it here. :(
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

I always secretly believed they were overpowered. For 1 gold piece more you get an unit that can pull more damage than a Grunt at night at every time of the day.

Serious I'm more afraid that they are too strong than too weak. Their lv 2 Units really shine and most of th lv 1 units are either dirt cheap or really tough (in comparison). Throw a Wizard in and a Flagbearer an you can start to steamroll.
OK they need to be played more careful as do drakes. My 2 cents.

For the Khalifa descriptions Temuchi did a grunt work to make new ones I don't know how far they are already implemented
kossa

Post by kossa »

Aragwaithi are cannon fodder units. They are meant to be attack units and not defensive. About they power that is more a personal question (tactical or of taste). Personally I have trouble playing with them. Still they have style. Opinions like this one, mine and of others, are recurrent. :annoyed:
About Loyalist: they lack the possibility of evolving to a leader unit. That's a fact. The way it can be reached is more out of consense. The solution proposed by Noyga and Temuchin Khan is interesting. But there is the problem of the sergeant. Is or is not a recruitable unit? I don't see a sergeant evolving from a peasant :D . And evolving from the spearman is out of reason. At least taking in consideration the normal up to level defined form. Evolving form a spearman like a lv 2 units is excessive. An other option could be a new unit of lv 0 kind young noble that could become a sergeant. The problem can be the number of units really necessary or not.
Se é chato kossa / Se kossa faz ferida / Se faz ferida doi / Se doi vai ao médico / Se vai ao médico tem de pagar / Se tem de pagar é chato...