Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Faction Icons? (all 6 ready!)

Post by Blarumyrran »

DISCLAIMER: there is nothing wrong with stuff as it currently is, the idea would merely add to the coolness factor imo.

so.
currently, each faction is represented in the mp scenario starting screen with the default leader units.

i thought it would be cool if they were seperate images.

made the knalgan icon (lots of metal, no decadence and the hammer at top should fit it).

but as i have a bad omen that its gonna get flamed for its style, or for the whole idea, i didnt make otheres yet.

so. i would like answers to these 2 questions.

1) IS THE WHOLE IDEA NONSENSE?

2) SHOULD I USE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STYLE? (eg, unit-sprite-like pixel art, or attack-icon-like things)
Last edited by Blarumyrran on January 29th, 2008, 11:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I LIKE that idea. It would make them seem much more like the unified groups that factions are supposed to be.

Brainstorming...

Loyalists: Sceptre of Fire?
Northerners: The Black Eye icon from SotBE? Something martial like corssed swords?
Rebels: Something nature-based, maybe similar to one of the spell attack icons, or the old projectile from the entangle spell?
Undead: has to be a skull...
Drakes: something based around wings and/or fire?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

thespaceinvader wrote:I LIKE that idea. It would make them seem much more like the unified groups that factions are supposed to be.

Brainstorming...

Loyalists: Sceptre of Fire?
Northerners: The Black Eye icon from SotBE? Something martial like corssed swords?
Rebels: Something nature-based, maybe similar to one of the spell attack icons, or the old projectile from the entangle spell?
Undead: has to be a skull...
Drakes: something based around wings and/or fire?
for consistency, i thought to make them all some kind of helmet or crown or tiara or something.

so something like,
* loyalist crown would be kind of a decadent crown (such as the puny humans are)
* rebels would have a circlet or tiara or something, with vines or flowers growing on it
* undead would have yeah, hard to find a replacement for the skull here but i think its for the better because all others would have a headdress so it would be unfitting for undead to have a head, but maybe some kind of ancient/broken crown would do.
* drakes - no idea. really. (ok, maybe a flaming helmet. that might be interesting.)
* northerners - a helmet, not a crown, certainly. a crude one. maybe with spikes or bones attached.

but im, of course, still waiting for dev approval or something.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

My 2 cents really cool. I like the idea. Very nice implementation.

For the drakes a diadem with a symbolic dragon might be fitting.
I would but it into art contributions else it won't get much attention.
Last edited by Shadow on October 7th, 2007, 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I like it, and I like the style, if not that style then the one used for attack icons I suppose, but that lends itself more to something dynamic than to a "logo" type thing.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Hadn't appreciated that you were aiming for crowns =D

Something based on Kapou'e's helmet would do nicely for the northerners or something on the (VERY Boba Fett-looking, i've always thought) grunt-line helmet.

Drakes: I'd go for a winged helm with a very open face and no nose pieces.

Undead: I still think a skull would work =P

Loys: I'd go more for a war-crown/crowned helmet - a (very ostentatious) crown wrapped around a shiny open faced helmet.

Rebels: Something like Aragorn's crown from the end of the LotR films.

Are we missing anyone?

Also, limiting this sort of thing to headgear would really screw around with usermade factions which don't use such things
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

thespaceinvader wrote: ...
Are we missing anyone?
Aragwaith
Chaos
Dark elves
Sidhe
Quesicans
Wargs
etc

and various other usermade factions. :lol:
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

thanks ppl.
thespaceinvader wrote:Something based on Kapou'e's helmet would do nicely for the northerners or something on the (VERY Boba Fett-looking, i've always thought) grunt-line helmet.
thats nice for the base, but id have to add something to it (bones?) to make it more visibly leaderish (as all the other icons are).
thespaceinvader wrote:Rebels: Something like Aragorn's crown from the end of the LotR films.
nah i dont think elves should have metal :/
thespaceinvader wrote:Also, limiting this sort of thing to headgear would really screw around with usermade factions which don't use such things
they can keep using unit images.
thespaceinvader wrote:Drakes: I'd go for a winged helm with a very open face and no nose pieces.
Shadow wrote:For the drakes a diadem with a symbolic dragon might be fitting.
i was thinking of a diadem/circlet/something for the elves, with the drake helm having huge nose protection.and ok maybe wings.
Shadow wrote:I would but it into art contributions else it won't get much attention.
ANY MODS OUT THERE? PLEASE MOVE THE THREAD TO ART CONTRIBUTIONS! thanks!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yes, why not.

One other thing which we'd want to have is factional flags. I'd suggest the flags and these possible faction icons to carry the same symbols. Just something to take into consideration.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

As in village flags? Hmm, they'd have to be VERY simple icons to be visible in-hex, nothing as complex as the one SynErr's proposed. Though maybe a simplified version of each might fit.

But then, of course, you'd probably have to shy away from using all different sorts of headgear - at flag scale, they'd probably all look fairly similar.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

well, the only mainline "symbols" done already are the undead with skull and the orcs with the black eye. the knalgan flag could have a hammer (as on my knalgan helm; its pretty straight-forward symbol for them anyway).
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

That would be great, since hammers are basically unique to the Knalgans - i can't think of another (mainline) faction that uses them.

Loys: here, you could use a crown for the flag icon

Rebels: a tree would seem like a god idea

Drakes: wings, dragons or fire.
Radament

Post by Radament »

Great idea!

Makes me think, there could be a type multiplayer where you try to capture a flag. Been suggested before?

I like that knalgan crown.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

drake icon.

reminds a bit of mongols for some reason :/ oh well, doesnt hurt. they are kinda like mongols anyway (maybe its the names).
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

What about faction "themes" too? In other words, the color/style of the actual game menus/info around the actual screen. I think it's possible and why should they all be the same?