Gold carry-over

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Gold carry-over

Post by turin »

Is there any (relatively simple) way to leave the player with 100% of his left-over gold from scenario to scenario, rather than the current 80%? The 20% tax makes sense for most scenarios, but on, for example, side-quests, it really makes no sense. You should keep all of your original gold.

I know that I COULD just add back the missing gold at the start of the next scenario, but then the previous scenario ends up deceiving the player as to how much gold they have. And I COULD make the scenario end with a continue rather than a victory, but that doesn't make sense, since they wom the scenario.

Any ideas? I personally think it would be a good idea to have an additional tax= attribute in the endlevel tag... so you would just say

Code: Select all

[endlevel]
    result=victory
    bonus=yes
    tax=0
[/endlevel]
The default would be 20.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I agree with this. On some scenarios, which are in essence just a continue of the previous scenario where you don't even recruit anyone else, it makes sense to carry over gold. For instance, your units carry over on each of the last two scenarios in Scepter of Fire. Why can't your gold?

This could allow some challenging campaigns - where you're in the "wilderness" between forts/cities/camps and you must go several scenarios with just your army and gold as it gradually wears away.

On the other side, there should be some maps where you start with 0 gold regardless of what you have had before for the same reason - more freedom in a UMC. Would it be hard? Yes, but I'd hope that the campaign developer would take that into account and have some way to get gold. It could make some sense story-wise - you just got robbed or captured (e.g. EI's level Captured).
DDR

Post by DDR »

Can you store gold in a variable, and set the gold next scenario from that variable?
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

a temporary hack would be to multiply gold by 1.25 before you trigger victory...
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Weeksy wrote:a temporary hack would be to multiply gold by 1.25 before you trigger victory...
I guess that'd work. Of course, the way it's presented to the user is still far from ideal...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

claim it's the gold the enemy leader had. Makes some sense that they would have a bit of gold in their keeping...
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

I think this is a good idea, I only rather have a carry_over% instead of tax%, this would also allow to give more than 100% as a bonus.

Maybe also allow 100% as percentage and 100 as absolute amount?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yes, it would be great to have these carryover things available in the [endlevel] tag if you wanted to specify them yourself. Most parts of the game are already rather customizable either directly or through WML hacks, but this ancient hard-coded monster still lives. :augh:
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

I like this idea. I'd like to see this being made possible in the future.
tsr

Post by tsr »

Well, I do second the proposal of the scenario writer to be able decide the percentage in [endlevel] but for turins original request there is:

result=continue

Of course, you don't get the nice(?) dialog telling you how much gold you keep, but it let's you keep 100% of it :)

/tsr
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Maybe the amount of gold carryover can be adjusted based on the campaign challenge level. For example to ensure that Hard (a level the player chose, after all) is actually challenging to play, you could set all scenarios starting gold to minimum. Alternatively, improve the enemies commensurate with the amount of carryover. This could be justified in-game with dialogue about higher payments to the crown or with increasing enmity based on your wealth, respectively.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Zookeeper filed a FR [1] and I hope to implement it rather soon.

[1] https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?10144