Eastern Invasion

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hardpack

Name-Clobbering Resulting in Early Demise

Post by hardpack »

Sometimes when you recruit, you'll get a new character with the same name as one of your main characters.

E.g., I recruited a Spearman whose name was "Gweddry" and when the spearman was killed, the game was over.

Any way to make sure that recruited units don't get the same name as the essential characters?
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

scott wrote:Look in the HTTT units and image folders and copy the lord unit cfg and images to the EI folders.
:) Thanks scott. It's working.

Out of curiosity, why does this happen? Has it been fixed it last version?
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Name-Clobbering Resulting in Early Demise

Post by turin »

hardpack wrote:Sometimes when you recruit, you'll get a new character with the same name as one of your main characters.

E.g., I recruited a Spearman whose name was "Gweddry" and when the spearman was killed, the game was over.

Any way to make sure that recruited units don't get the same name as the essential characters?
(If true in 1.1.1,) this is a horrible, stupid, annoying bug that is NOT MY FAULT AND SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN FIXED. :evil:

I'll ask.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
toms

Post by toms »

It would be the simpliest way to remove the name "Gweddry" from the list of names recruited units may get, IMO. :wink:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
scott

Post by scott »

Not picking character names from the random name generator is another way to avoid it. Owaec is another one that comes up.

You can put unit type as well as name in the death filter, and that would also fix it.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:Not picking character names from the random name generator is another way to avoid it. Owaec is another one that comes up.
Dacyn does too. But the point it, it shouldn't cause problems even if the names can be generated randomly.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

In addition to generate_description generating only user_description, mainline hero names should also be removed from the generic name lists. It doesn't serve any good purpose and may get confusing.

EDIT: Did that already. Some special character names from TRoW, SG and UtBS were also found there, and I removed them too.
toms

Post by toms »

In the development version, the teamcolor image with the magenta tones appears in the campaign menu. That doesn´t look very good. I think you should replace it by an in-game like image.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
scott

Post by scott »

This "Training the Ogres" replay is from a recent svn build. I was pleasantly surprised, but I don't know what you want to do about it.
Attachments
Training_the_Ogres_replay.zip
(7.32 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
OpenBar

Post by OpenBar »

Hello,
I don't know if it has already been said but I found some bug in the Western Invasion Campain: at the end when you choose not to face the Lich and have to kill her among 7 other, the name should not appear but it does: because of this bug I was able to win it in 3 turns whitout any losses...
NB: I have stable ver not the last one, so it could have been already fixed
Hope that helps
OpenBar
MawhrinSkel

Post by MawhrinSkel »

Two issues I had playing through this campaign (Windows version 1.1.10):

1. In Xenophobia, the elf would never recruit units after the first turn, dieing with large sums of money unspent.

2. Finished Weldyn under Attack, chose Duel and finished that. Returned to a saved game towards the end and chose Weldyn Besieged - game crashes, VC++ error box. "Assertion failed" "File: unit_map.cpp" "line 55" "Expression: res.second". Saved games attached. Edit: If I click "Ignore" in this dialogue box from a save game, Wesnoth appears apparently correctly.

Not found either reported; my apologies if they're known.
Attachments
Weldyn_Besieged.zip
Scenario start, crashes Wesnoth.
(11.55 KiB) Downloaded 856 times
Weldyn_under_Attack_Turn_18.zip
Last turn of Weldyn under Attack.
(34.65 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
thorndeux

owaec

Post by thorndeux »

I have Owaec at level 3 now and according to what I read that should be it. However, his experience stats say 5/500 (?) in blue, suggesting that he would gain a level after having accumulated 500 experience points.

What's up with that? Is it a bug or is it meant to be like this?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The 500 XP is for an AMLA - after max level advancement. He'll gain 3 HP if you get him that 500 XP. IMHO, not worth it. ;)

I dunno why it's 500 - that's a bit high...
The World of Orbivm
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

it is quite ingenious how the campaign goes through mostly the same sequence of scenarios no matter which choices you make.

it would be nice if there was a way in one of the later scenarios to repay the dwarves for their help in The Escape Tunnel.

Xenophobia does not seem to have any ties to events in earlier scenarios nor any real consequences from my choice of whom to slaughter first - it is like a standalone training scenario for newbies in how to fight each race, or a setup for a multiplayer combat. It might be an opportunity to add more branches to the campaign. On the other hand, it nicely illustrates the entrenched racial politics of Wesnoth.

From a plot point of view the campaign is a rollercoaster of suspense, elation, despair and relief. Good job! I look forward to playing the other branches and seeing more development of this campaign. :)
JBerry

Drowned Plains Balancing

Post by JBerry »

I like this campaign, but this scenario needs help. On hard, it's pure luck whether you win or lose here. One time I made it through without too much trouble, but another time 16 level 2 and 3 undead spawned during one turn, and I was done. You also have a weak hero mage who dies immediately if the undead span when you can no longer move to defend him. (Someone suggested keeping him surrounded, but that means moving, and therefore spawning undead, right next to him.)

I would suggest adding conditions like: no more than once per turn, and not unless half of your units can still move.