Charge, Blitz, Meteor Lake and Triple Blitz to be renamed

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Charge, Blitz, Meteor Lake and Triple Blitz to be renamed

Post by Doc Paterson »

As discussed many a time, several maps need to be renamed, to reflect the current map-naming system (oriented towards naming specific places, not naming the style of battle. "Rush," "Burst," "Charge," "Showdown," "Blitz," "Crash," etc., for example, follow an old, vague naming-style that we're intentionally moving away from. The reasons behind the renaming have already been covered, and this isn't the thread to argue in favor of keeping the old names. It is, however, the thread to talk about giving these maps the best possible new names.

Meteor Lake is being renamed for a different reason. When I created and named that map, I used the term "meteor," and I'm now thinking that it's a bit too scientific sounding for the world of Wesnoth. "Fallenstar Lake" will be the new name- It preserves the concept of something meteor-like falling from the heavens, but suggests a bit more mystery and wonder, in line with the medieval paradigm. I've essentially made up my mind on this one, but any commentary is welcome. If you hate it, or like it, let me know why.

Triple Blitz will look drastically different in 1.3.8, and will likely be called "Alirok Marsh." As above, give me your thoughts.

Blitz will probably be called "Kingmarrow Loch," the concept being that an ancient line of Kings are buried in stone tombs at the bottom of the loch. Like it? Hate it? Post up, and drop some better ideas, if you have them.

Charge is a tough one. I'd originally considered calling it "Thamosian Freelands," but this may likely be too wordy a transition from the mono-syllobic "Charge." I do like "Freelands" as the second piece of the name, though I'd let it go if a better idea came along. I'd also considered "Hollows" as the second piece (Thamosian Hollows for example).

I'd really like as much input on this one as you guys can give me. Post up some fresh ideas, tell me what you think of the original idea, comment on the "name bits" below.

Name-Bits (to be combined/chopped/modified in some way or another, possibly placed in front of "Freelands," "Hollows," "Lowlands," "Downs," etc. etc. More of these landformation terms are also welcome.)

Vahn _____
Kol _____
Tolor ______
Falren _____
Whiteclaw _____
Renguild ______
Renguile ______
Redguile _______
Tenbeast _____
Fourwind _____
Greensword ______

Some of those are pretty lame, I know. 8)

Let's get this process going though- Any and all ideas are welcome.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I'll probably be rather neutral to any name given (though, I think everything so far is good).

But, I think, in addition to changing the names, it would be neat to give a geographic location (even if it is general) to these maps somewhere on the Wesnoth map. You could even add an event that happened there to give it significance.

Let's say for "Thamosian Freelands," it could be noted that this map stands between X, Y and Z kingdoms and to the Q of Wesnoth, making it a heavily contested area that has seen much fighting.
Fred

Re: Charge, Blitz, Meteor Lake and Triple Blitz to be rename

Post by Fred »

Meteor Lake is being renamed for a different reason. When I created and named that map, I used the term "meteor," and I'm now thinking that it's a bit too scientific sounding for the world of Wesnoth. "Fallenstar Lake" will be the new name- It preserves the concept of something meteor-like falling from the heavens, but suggests a bit more mystery and wonder, in line with the medieval paradigm. I've essentially made up my mind on this one, but any commentary is welcome. If you hate it, or like it, let me know why.
how about "Fellstar Lake"? its only a little different from your name, but I think that it sounds smoother.
If you have to ask.......
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

My quick brainstorm of weird words created on the spot

Blitz: Alano River, Guiles Battleland, Viken-mar,
Charge: Knan Roughs, Marland, Xilicar Freelands,
Meteor Lake: Skywrath point, Lake of the Eye, Starfall lake.

EDIT

Incase you need more: Wanrow downs, Benithen lowlands, Zell-quar marsh Basen-dwell, Dragonstead, River Mantice, Stellen-tel, Wentchell, Colck's Dale.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Fred wrote:how about "Fellstar Lake"? its only a little different from your name, but I think that it sounds smoother.
I like "Fellstar Lake" or "Fell Star Lake," but I can't help but notice that this would carry connotations of "Dangerous Star Lake."

Still, that would not be entirely inappropriate....
appleide

Post by appleide »

Fallstar lake

Explanation: Let's say 50 years ago it was called Fallenstar lake, because a star fell into it. 50 years later, it is now called by people as"Fallstar lake". The name has 'evolved'.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

New names

Post by Gallifax »

I like Fallenstar lake. More fantasy like. Sounds perfectly fine.

Hmm considered to call it just "The freelands"?

The new name of Blitz, hmm I don't like it;)

Regards Gallifax
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Doc Paterson wrote: Blitz will probably be called "Kingmarrow Loch," the concept being that an ancient line of Kings are buried in stone tombs at the bottom of the loch. Like it? Hate it? Post up, and drop some better ideas, if you have them.
So I assume this means you got tired of waiting for me to fix my Tomb of Kings map? :cry:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Ken Oh wrote: But, I think, in addition to changing the names, it would be neat to give a geographic location (even if it is general) to these maps somewhere on the Wesnoth map. You could even add an event that happened there to give it significance.

Let's say for "Thamosian Freelands," it could be noted that this map stands between X, Y and Z kingdoms and to the Q of Wesnoth, making it a heavily contested area that has seen much fighting.
That is a great idea- something that has been been considered for a while but put off for lack of time. Perhaps we could put together a little committee to take care of it. :)

Volunteers?
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: New names

Post by Doc Paterson »

Gallifax wrote:I like Fallenstar lake. More fantasy like. Sounds perfectly fine.
Regarding Fallenstar vs. Fellstar:

As Temuchin said, the "evil-star" connotation is very strong, and I'd say it's too strong for me. In a medieval setting like Wesnoth, the evil/foul connotation seems a lot more prominent than the "dropped down" connotation (in my mind at least). It's also a bit grammatically odd, to my ear; the order in which the words are placed, with the modifying "fell" before the noun (star), would, again seem to emphasize the "evil star" interpretation. I'm aiming for something a bit more neutral, and I think that Fallenstar works well for that.

The Charge and Blitz names should be our primary targets right now, so keep the ideas coming.
Last edited by Doc Paterson on September 14th, 2007, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Sapient wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote: Blitz will probably be called "Kingmarrow Loch," the concept being that an ancient line of Kings are buried in stone tombs at the bottom of the loch. Like it? Hate it? Post up, and drop some better ideas, if you have them.
So I assume this means you got tired of waiting for me to fix my Tomb of Kings map? :cry:
Well, that map has remained unmodified for quite a long, long time. (More than a year?)

Honestly, Tomb of Kings didn't come to mind when I came up with "Kingmarrow Loch." It would seem, though, that our Kings have different burial methods? 8)

Either way, I'm not extremely attached to Kingmarrow Loch, and I'll let it go if a better candidate comes along.

I could always ditch the burial concept alltogether and call it something like

Five Kings Loch or
Five Kings Channel, etc.

I actually like the sound of those......

Keep the feedback coming.
without your noses.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

imo Meteor Lake souns perfect, while adding falling star would sound kinda... cheesy... or it could be just because i have in my brain Meteorites related to fantasy due to the "Meteorite Shower" spell in HOMM3. ok, anyway,

Charge= Basalt Fjord (as it is a river with lots of mountains surrounding it)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Shouldn't KingMarrow be KingBarrow?

A barrow is another name for a burial mound. A marrow is a british name for a big zucchini...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

thespaceinvader wrote:Shouldn't KingMarrow be KingBarrow?

A barrow is another name for a burial mound. A marrow is a british name for a big zucchini...
Nope- I'm thinking of "marrow" as it relates to bones. For example, the locals might talk about the lake being imbued with the marrow of kings....

Also, a barrow isn't generally underwater.

I'd never heard of that British usage of marrow....That does make the term a lot less appealing to me. :P

At any rate, I'm starting to swing more in favor of something like Five Kings Loch or Five Kings Channel....
Last edited by Doc Paterson on September 14th, 2007, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Syntax_Error wrote:imo Meteor Lake souns perfect,
I guess you missed the part about it being too technical a term for the Wesnoth universe?

Syntax_Error wrote: Charge= Basalt Fjord (as it is a river with lots of mountains surrounding it)
Eh....Basalt is a volcanic rock. I don't think the connection to the map is very strong. :?
without your noses.