Love Song: Reminisce

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Aleksi wrote:A little question, why a love theme when you have a fighting game?
Konrad + Li'sar? Cutscenes?

They're just not possible without music - without music, they're flatter than a week-old beer. Especially on trimmed-down games like this, music is the differentiator that turns a silly dialogue into something profound.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Ok - I've updated #2 based on the suggestions given and have also started a second section. I was thinking that it might be fitting for a bittersweet love theme, suitable for a war game. Let me know if you like it or not.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

#2 is updated again. Sorry if I am posting my updates too quickly, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track. I also only get a few hours here and there to work on it, so I want to make sure I get enough feedback to finish it sometime this year :).
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Updated again

Post by jeremy2 »

Hey all, I have updated it again. It's about 3:30 now. Let me know what you think. Here is the link for convenience: --- deleted, see below ---
Last edited by jeremy2 on September 7th, 2007, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

It's done! Quick link: http://gnexp.com/songs/remin.mp3 3:30 in length.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Wow! It sounds grand, masterly, just perfect!

Can you provide it in ogg-format?
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

:D Thank you. Here it is in ogg format: http://www.gnexp.com/songs/reminisce.ogg
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

That's pretty good! I hope the music devs will let this in (pretty please). Even if it's not perfect, it'd still be much better to have this available than always having to play that damn elf-land.ogg everywhere.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Do you have any suggestions, zookeeper, to make it perfect? I realize that is highly subjective (as at least one person here thinks it's perfect), but I'm always open to comments.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

jeremy2 wrote:Do you have any suggestions, zookeeper, to make it perfect? I realize that is highly subjective (as at least one person here thinks it's perfect), but I'm always open to comments.
No, not really. I was mostly referring to any technical imperfections the music devs might spot, not to my own opinion. I myself think it's as good as it'd ever need to be and I'd have a hard time describing how it could be made better.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I look forward to find it an utility in my campaign.

Not that my campaign doesn't have a love subject in its story, it's just that it is somewhat melodramatic.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Wow, sounds great! You've really come a long way since I last listened to this piece. The instrumentation is much more interesting now and everything just sounds more... well, complete. The sudden shift in mood at ~0:56 actually gave me goose bumps, as did the horn melody at 1:55 or so.

A couple of minor remarks though:

Your samples are good (what library/ies are you using btw, if you don't mind me asking?) but your reverb is not. It sounds kind of cold and shrill, like the orchestra is playing in a tiled bathhouse. It's particularly audible on the glockenspiel and when the horns are playing ff. I suggest using a warmer reverb with a much longer decay time. I know, I've complained in some other thread about Jeremy Soule's over-the-top and not really natural-sounding reverbs. But that sound has actually grown on me and I've come to realise, while putting together a custom orchestral setup over the latest six months, that really big reverbs actually does help add life and realism to sampled instruments. So I suggest you give it a try, just pay attention to EQ and damping so the long reverb tail isn't too prominent.

Secondly... the passage between 1:07 and 1:12 sounds lifted straight out of the LotR soundtrack, I think maybe you should alter it a bit ;)

Aside from those little things this is excellent. I also hope this piece gets in the game.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

The samples are from the VST collection that comes with Kontakt, the xylophone is Campbell's Grand Xylophone (an old, but incredibly awesome, soundfont imported into Kontakt), and a few samples from Garritan's Personal Orchestra (heavily modded). The cymbal roll is from GPO, and I am trying to remember if I used anything else from it. I'm not a big fan of GPO... I will be getting the EastWest symphony collection with choirs here shortly. SoundsOnline.com slashed their prices and I couldn't resist. :)

I will look into changing the reverb. As for the LoTR five seconds, I'm going to take that as a compliment and think about changing, but I will probably leave it as is :). What part has that little melody?
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Shadow Master wrote:I look forward to find it an utility in my campaign.

Not that my campaign doesn't have a love subject in its story, it's just that it is somewhat melodramatic.
Feel free to use it however you want. That's one of the great things about music, it can be stretched to fit a wide variety of needs. I was going for a bittersweet love theme, a type of longing sound - as (I hope) the title suggests, something that was lost but still is savored.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Ok, updated it with a different reverb plugin. I put as much reverb in as I could stand, and also did a bit of EQ'ing. Same links as before. Oh, and I changed that LoTR section a bit - just a couple of notes. :)