Panther-folk faction sprites for review and/or suggestions

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zerosanity

Panther-folk faction sprites for review and/or suggestions

Post by zerosanity »

As anyone who has looked at the faction forum may have noticed, I'm working on a faction of panther-folk. As such, I need panther-folk sprites. :D

So far, I have two that a friend of mine (who hasn't registered yet) made out of other units with some color edits and/or copy-pasta.

TC is green (found on healer's belt and prowler's shoulders/belt). I'll probably have him edit the healer's green to somewhere near the darker shade found on the prowler.

Also, comments/suggestions/edits are definitely welcome. I'm sure he'd appreciate some feedback.

It's worth noting that, in no way am I asking for people to make sprites for me. Mostly I'm asking for suggestions, ideas, and tips.

Link to this faction's thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17435
Attachments
Sha'al Dhan Prowler<br />(edited human outlaw assassin)
Sha'al Dhan Prowler
(edited human outlaw assassin)
Link to shaaldhan_prowler.png (2.51 KiB) Viewed 12380 times
Sha'al Dhan Mystic<br />(edited human red mage)
Sha'al Dhan Mystic
(edited human red mage)
shaaldhan-mystic.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 12376 times
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

The mystic is nice, but the prowler could use some work. The head for the most part needs more definition and shadows/highlights. Also, they don't seem very panthery, maybe make the ears more pronounced and give them tails?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Even though the black panther is black, there should still be a wide range of colour values. If you look at the attached picture you'll see that some parts of him are almost white due to lighting.

http://www.chsforever.org/Images/Black% ... er%202.jpg
zerosanity

Post by zerosanity »

I definitely agree with both points. Actually, I mentioned that they need tails...but that was in the faction thread, so...yeah. Not a whole lot of point in mentioning sprite stuff in the units discussion, right?

As for the detail, my friend and I spent almost an hour trying to cram some more detail into the head, but it always just came out blurry. I'm not sure if our different shades of dark blue-grey had too much or too little contrast for that job or if we just didn't happen to luck into putting just the right color in just the right spot.

As for the needing more color variation, we actually have nearly the same number of colors per region (body, head, etc.) as the base units we were working with, which is 4. I don't think variation in color is the problem. It's probably more placement. Although, we did mostly do straight 1:1 color replacement on the base unit, so again, it may yet be the pallet.

I'll try to talk mt art guy into signing up and posting so that he can discuss it with you guys, as I have next to zero experience working with pixel art or sprites. I'm just a code monkey. :D

We'll probably continue using that head base and color pallet to make base frames for the rest of the faction so that we have images to run balance tests and things. Also, when I get done with coding, I'll probably upload the alpha faction for others to test. By that, I don't mean that we're done with the model even slightly, just that we'll use it until we can fix it or stumble onto something better.\
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Here, have one of these.
Attachments
shaaldan-prowler-idle-1.png
shaaldan-prowler-idle-1.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 12276 times
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Elerium

Post by Elerium »

Schweet :P Although I think the mouth might need some work, but otherwise this is a good basis for the side.
jdsampayo

Re: Panther-folk faction sprites for review and/or suggestio

Post by jdsampayo »

zerosanity wrote:I'm working on a faction of panther-folk
With panther-folk you only refer to black jaguars?
Or you mean panthera as a genus? (this will include for example the "big-cats" Lion, Tiger, Jaguar, and Leopard species).

It will be nice to see more species, at least the big ones, and why not? an hybrid Liger will be cool too.
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial
zerosanity

Post by zerosanity »

In my mind, they were always just the black ones. As for variation of species, such a thing would be somewhat limited based on the insular tribal nature of the race. I suppose technically anything could happen, especially on the borders of the jungle, but it would still be highly unlikely.
Elerium

Post by Elerium »

I'm thinking lion/tiger-types= like the kilrathi from Wing Commander, if you've seen what they look like, primarily warriors which can level a human with a single punch for the really tough ones, follow strict honour code, death before dishonour etc.

Panthers or the 'black ones' would probably be the ones who try to manipulate other factions into coercing for their own benefit, or play them against each other, and as such they'll hide. When they need to come out, their use of speed and stealth tactics gives them an edge. They should also be chaotic, due to the fact Panthers probably come out at night, or they camouflage better with the darkness being black. They could also have some experience using exotic weapons, and you could experiment with this for the level 2's and 3's, like lets say a magical-black razor sharp frisbee that returns to the owners hand *making stuff up*.

If you're thinking along the lines of say, a domestic cat race? then probably they'd just be on the level of buffed up humans except with a more tribal like feel to them. Also some portrayals in other works like in the mana series of games they usually are merchants instead.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Interesting concept for an user-made faction. Lacks a pink panther, though.

This kinda reminds me the concepts I was going to use in my own game, such as Lion-like creatures (Leonids) and other feline-like creatures (Felinusians).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Guax

Post by Guax »

But Lions are felines o.o

Whatever XD

Well, the third one has nothing to do with the 2 first o.õ
Oh, and u could put a litle more of contrast in the black of the assassin-panther-thing o.o
I've arrived \o.o/
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

My concept of Felinusians was about Felis Catus - the domestic cats. The Leonids were from another planet, and were Leonids.

Back on topic, don't you think that panther-mage sprite looks strange? The clash between his face and the robes.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl »

I think the robe for the panther mystic should be a darker brown as well.
zerosanity

Post by zerosanity »

good call. I completely agree.
ael193

Post by ael193 »

most factions have other races alied with them, like the trolls, saurians, woses,nagas&mermen, perhaps the other species of big cats could fill that role, since panthers are a jungle cat there probably wouldn't be lions, most likely it there should be leopards&tigers(tiger the larges big cat would be ideal for the heavy infantry role)