Older version?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Vrael

Older version?

Post by Vrael »

hello,
I have an old computer and the latest version 1.2.6/1.3.6 doesnt work perfect.
But on the website arent older versions like 1.2.3/4/5 for downloading.
Is there a chance to get this older version, or is there someone who has these packages in i586.rpm ?
Thanks, Vrael
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
playtom

Post by playtom »

it's possible, through sourceforge,

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=89495

it contains all files releated to wesnoth thats being released on sourceforge, including older 1.2 version of wesnoth.
evolved around the confined environment, emotions, knowledge and events mixed into my life, mere mortal am i, trying to climb higher up the ladder, time passes, just then i realized, death will part me eventually. - playtom's philosophy
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

keep in mind that the older versions won't have supported MP play, and may cause serious problems. What are the difficulties you're having with 1.2.6?
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
MDG

Post by MDG »

You could also try browsing through the release announcements section of the forum for the older version release announcements. They usually contain links to many/most of the packages.

[off-topic]
Eleazar (one of the developers) wrote:* No animated avatars or graphical signatures. We consider them distracting.
This is in the posting guidelines sticky in this section of the forum...
[/off-topic]
Jastiv

Post by Jastiv »

I have that problem too. I want to rant agaist this "developer" mentality in the free-software/ open source movement, but I will save that for my blog. The problem is probably that you need the python libraries. For some reason, developers expect users to enjoy reinstalling thier operatating system every six months. Well, maybe that is not fun. Well maybe we just want to USE our computers and not be like this uber geek who spends all his time reinstalling the same software except its the new, buggy version.
Ubuntu is called "Linux for Human beings" apparently human beings like things like reinstalling python or wtf libraries that don't even have a working package every six months.
Vrael

Post by Vrael »

On sourceforge ive found nothing for me. There are older versions but not in i585.rpm .
MDG where are these packages, i didnt found them.

My Probelms with 1.3.6 are:
Sound dont work.
Player against Computer dont work.
Server dont work.

I guess the problem is mixed: Old hardware and a never updated version of suse 10.0.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
MDG

Post by MDG »

Vrael wrote:MDG where are these packages, i didnt found them.
Wesnoth 1.2.5
Wesnoth 1.2.4
Wesnoth 1.2.3
Not sure if it will have the links for your particular OS but I hope it helps.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Jastiv wrote:I have that problem too. I want to rant agaist this "developer" mentality in the free-software/ open source movement, but I will save that for my blog. The problem is probably that you need the python libraries. For some reason, developers expect users to enjoy reinstalling thier operatating system every six months. Well, maybe that is not fun. Well maybe we just want to USE our computers and not be like this uber geek who spends all his time reinstalling the same software except its the new, buggy version.
Ubuntu is called "Linux for Human beings" apparently human beings like things like reinstalling python or wtf libraries that don't even have a working package every six months.
PEBKAC
Vrael wrote: I guess the problem is mixed: Old hardware and a never updated version of suse 10.0.
If this computer is connected to the net I would advise you to upgrade if that is possible. It's important to keep networked computers up to date with security fixes.

If upgrading is not an option you should indeed try to get an older version as library mismatches will most likely give you trouble with newer versions unless someone has backported them for your platform and version. Another option is to compile the source itself which might sound like a daunting task, but it's really quite manageable. If you want help with that just ask here.