Northern Rebirth and SotBE Portriats Needing Color

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Taurus wrote:He's looking good VonHalenbach. Your art has improved a lot recently. Feel free to commit him when you are satisfied :-)
Thank you for your feedback Taurus! I am glad that you like it. Here is my final version "Arthian.jpg", which can be comitted by someone with more might than me. :D

BTW why are most of the portraits from NR in Jpg-format :?:
Attachments
Arthian.svg.gz
This is the original SVG file. It is packed with gz. You can change the extention to .svgz
(228.3 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
can be comitted to NR/images/portraits
can be comitted to NR/images/portraits
Arthian.jpg (7.72 KiB) Viewed 3989 times
YaymeQ

Post by YaymeQ »

Hey uhh ... Is Rakshas human? He has abnormally long teeth for a human ... but he doesn't look like a troll or an orc either ... I mean ... I've seen movies where battle scarred comanders looked similar ... What color should his skin be? And what's that band on his thigh?
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Taurus wrote:
Rakshas, the big bad Orc.
but I have no clue what the band is, other than a rolled up end of his oh-so tight pants. I'd color it something that blends in and corresponds well with the surrounding colors, until someone tells you what it actually is.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

YaymeQ wrote:Hey uhh ... Is Rakshas human? He has abnormally long teeth for a human ... but he doesn't look like a troll or an orc either ... I mean ... I've seen movies where battle scarred comanders looked similar ... What color should his skin be? And what's that band on his thigh?
He is supposed to be an orc. A dark greenish, brownish color for his skin would be in my opinion best, but you are free to use anything else as you see fit. Don't know, what this band should be. If it makes no sense to you, you can erase it.

greets
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

YaymeQ wrote:What color should his skin be? And what's that band on his thigh?
Wesnoth orcs have brown skin. Check the other orc portraits.
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

Halt! Anatomy police. Sword arm muscles...
Attachments
cart2_edit_193_528.png
cart2_edit_193_528.png (55.29 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
Check out my portraits HERE!
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Pickslide wrote:Halt! Anatomy police. Sword arm muscles...
We know. Sometimes people get born with some disabilities. Sisal is one of those poor kids. :cry:

But because she has one crippled arm, makes her much stronger on the other arm. Her sword arm. :)
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

vonHalenbach wrote: We know. Sometimes people get born with some disabilities. Sisal is one of those poor kids. :cry:

But because she has one crippled arm, makes her much stronger on the other arm. Her sword arm. :)
Hey watch it! I am sure Sisal won't react very favorably to you mocking her. I am no autonomy expert, but if you think something is incorrect, then fix it :-)
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

vonHalenbach wrote: Thank you for your feedback Taurus! I am glad that you like it. Here is my final version "Arthian.jpg", which can be comitted by someone with more might than me. :D

BTW why are most of the portraits from NR in Jpg-format :?:
Looks good. Yes they are in Jpg format. However, I am having trouble unpacking your file. Could you try to re-send it to me, or perhaps just send a larger version as a Jpg (I would rather have to downscale something then have it too small).
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Unpacking? What is the problem with the picture Arthian.jpg? The other file is the original SVG file. A vector format which can be viewed and edited with inkscape.

I can upload a new version, no problem.

EDIT:
If Jetryl wants to do some pixel magic with it, before comitting i can give him an even bigger picture. He has just to say how big he wants, because Vector pictures can be scaled lossless.
Attachments
hope it is big enough
hope it is big enough
Arthian.png (64.35 KiB) Viewed 3835 times
YaymeQ

Post by YaymeQ »

Hey guys, this has no shading I just wanted to make sure the colors were right.
Attachments
Rakshascolor.jpg
Rakshascolor.jpg (459.35 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Yeah, cool. To me the colors are okay. Which program do you use, to colorize?
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Here is my first coloring of Sister Theta.

Open for suggestions and criticism.
Attachments
second try
second try
theta2.png (185.25 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
Last edited by vonHalenbach on August 7th, 2007, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I think that Wesnothian Orcs are generally browner than that, but then again, I don't know of anything that says they can't have some variance in skin tone, either.

On Sister Theta, looks cool. I like the glow effect on that one.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Taurus wrote:
vonHalenbach wrote: We know. Sometimes people get born with some disabilities. Sisal is one of those poor kids. :cry:

Hey watch it! I am sure Sisal won't react very favorably to you mocking her. I am no autonomy expert, but if you think something is incorrect, then fix it :-)
Here is a "more anatomical correct" version of Sisal. I say more, because the under arm is still too short and the bending of the left hand is most unnatural. This can only be fixed, if someone moves the sword into another position. I have done this correction in inkscape, so if someone wants to have the vector version of sisal.
Attachments
sisal2.png
sisal2.png (90.58 KiB) Viewed 3727 times