Napoleonnoth

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fred

Post by Fred »

i downloaded napoleonnoth (did i spell it right?) a while ago, and was perplexed when i found that most gun equipped units have multiple ranged attacks (for example, 4-3 ranged). were rifles in full scale use back then? because if they werent, then it would be more historically accurate to give the shooters only one ranged attack (say, 12-1). just my opinion, and please consider it.

p.s.: i haven't played it in a while, if you changed anything relating to what i just said then please delete my post and sorry to waste your time.
If you have to ask.......
ElectricEel

Post by ElectricEel »

Casual User wrote:Sharpshooters don't get marksman, but they should get a custom special named 'accurate', same as the artillery, which gives a minimum of 70% CTH on attack. Play-testing has suggested that the special worked, but now I'm not so sure...
The special works fine, it's just that the sharpshooters' attack is missing it, at least in the game's interface.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

ElectricEel wrote:The special works fine, it's just that the sharpshooters' attack is missing it, at least in the game's interface.
Yeah, I've noticed that bug too... and don't know how to fix it.

Since it's a purely cosmetical problem - albeit a serious one - I've decided to put off fixing it until I'm happy with the functional aspect of it.
Fred wrote:i downloaded napoleonnoth (did i spell it right?) a while ago, and was perplexed when i found that most gun equipped units have multiple ranged attacks (for example, 4-3 ranged). were rifles in full scale use back then? because if they werent, then it would be more historically accurate to give the shooters only one ranged attack (say, 12-1). just my opinion, and please consider it.
IIRC, rifles - though not exactly modern ones - were widely used militarily by the late 18th/early 19th century. Muskets or arquebuses had been out for awhile.

I believe, to give a vague timeline, that continued advances in fire rate eventually turned the tide in the scottish-english confrontations of the early 18th century.

Besides, ranged attacks make up a good 80% of attacks you are going to see in an average game of Napoleonnoth. Making them one-shot would break what little balance there is, giving luck a huge say in game.

-------------------------------------------------------

I write today to propose an idea.

I've always felt it a little weird that cannons happen to be an effective weapon against, say, a forester hiding at the edge of the woods.

So, I have considered an alternative.

Current system:

Cannons have a special named 'accuracy', which gives them a minimum of 70% CTH when attacking, regardless of terrain.

Alternative system:

Cannons have a special named 'siege', which increases by 30% their CTH when attacking an ennemy which is in a castle or village square. No bonuses anywhere else.

To make up for the lost firepower, artillery would either get more HP or, which I'd prefer, a defense-only 'defensive volley' attack, with first strike but weaker than the standard attack, which wouldn't be strong enough to make them a defensive powerhouse, but still make one think twice before charging into artillery with a 5HP cavalry unit.

That being said, I would appreciate a little feedback before I decide either way.
ElectricEel

Post by ElectricEel »

The latter option certainly sounds more interesting.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Looking forward to the second campaign.

Britannia's got my vote for the name or perhaps Anglican.

For variety, you might want to throw in other european unit types for those "in between historic battles" moments. An engagement with Cossacks, Poles, perhaps even a necromancy type engagement in Romania/Rumania.

You're doing great with this development, so all I can suggest are filler type ideas. Perhaps even stretching the genre to advancement to other parts of the world. Santa Anna modeled his Mexican army after Napolean for instance. Perhaps even the small wars like the Java War(Also known as Diponegoro's war). Perhaps the wars for South American independence would fit as well. All used about the same types of units. Even the Zulu War...although it would have to be numbers over skill, as that's the only way the Zulus won a few battles. Like the battle of Islandlwanda where it was 20 thousand Zulus vs 400 british army regulars.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

suggestion for the cannon:
it is weapen that inflicts heavy damage on you if you are in open field and such
but when you hide in woods or hills it will hardly hit you
so:
if a target unit has a chance of dodging that is 50% or lower the cannons damage is doubled
if the targets chance of dodging is higher than 50% the cannons damage is reduced by the half
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Sorry for the long hiatus, but I've been very busy with school lately. Still am, by and large...

There should be, whithin the week, a new release of Napoleonnoth, depending on how long it takes me to make a satisfactoy image for the "Prussian" captain and find a pseudonym for Prussia.

I have decided to keep things simple. The landwehr will be LVL0 cavalry, costing only 10gold. The artillery will be normal but cost only 20gold.

The idea, or feel, would be to give the "Prussian" army access to units which are normally expensive (cavalry, commanders, artillery, etc...) at low prices, without making it a "horde" faction.

It should be noticed that, with a 10gold/0 upkeep village grabber available, Prussia should be able to mobilize quickly...

The uniform for the "Prussian" army will be black on top with white pants.

---------------------------------------------

I have also started to jot down ideas for a spanish faction. Here's what I have so far:

Murcia (simili-Spain)

Basic Idea:
Murcia's military will have lighter troops than others, but be in some ways more versatile. They have access to spammable infantry, but not quite as good as Borea or Poenia.

I'm thinking yellowish uniforms would be good.

Basic units:
- Infantry gets +1 damage in melee (Spanish swordsmanship reputed)
- Cavalry gets +1 moves but -10% HP (Light cavalry)
- Standard (or maybe slightly sub-par) artillery

Special units:

Code: Select all

Light Infantry -> Light Skirmisher -> Veteran Light Skirmisher
Costs only 12gp. Has only 2/3 as much damage as other infantry (i.e. 6-2 melee and 4-2 ranged) but ignores ZOC (skirmisher).

Code: Select all

Friar -> Chaplain
NRIW... but we're not in Wesnoth! I felt it was appropriate to capitalize on the peculiar relationship between Church and Crown in late 18th and early 19th century Spain.

The Friar is a slow (6 moves) cavalry (donkey rider) unit. Its fighting abilities are lackluster, to say the least.

I am still undecided whether the Friar should heal and the Chaplain cure, or if the Friar should illuminate and the Chaplain illuminate and heal.

Anyway, sorry for an all-theory post. A more decisive one should come by shortly.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I downloaded this era several months ago so I'm not sure if this opinion wis still valid, but my major problem with it was that all the factions were very simular.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Casual User wrote:There should be, whithin the week, a new release of Napoleonnoth, depending on how long it takes me to make a satisfactoy image for the "Prussian" captain and find a pseudonym for Prussia.
Great!

As for names, how about:

England = Anglika

Prussia = Reichland (after all, Germany united by Prussia in late 19th Century = 2nd Reich)

EDIT: Corrected "18th" to "19th"
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on September 30th, 2007, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Temuchin Khan wrote: As for names, how about:

Prussia = Reichland (after all, Germany united by Prussia in late 18th Century = 2nd Reich)
Hmm, do you mean "late 19th century"? It surely was long after Napoleon (even after Napoleon III).
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

pauxlo wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote: As for names, how about:

Prussia = Reichland (after all, Germany united by Prussia in late 18th Century = 2nd Reich)
Hmm, do you mean "late 19th century"? It surely was long after Napoleon (even after Napoleon III).
Yes. Thanks for the correction!

My intention was to suggest "Reichland" be used for Prussia insofar as Prussia eventually became the Second Reich, but my little slip obscured my intended meaning.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

New version uploaded.

Changes:
-Borea's infantry cheaper by 1gp, costs only 11gp
-Albion's highlander infantry got more HP, up to 45
-All LVL0 units all lost 5HP
-All LVL0 units with rifles had their range attacks changed to 4-2
-New faction added, by name of Friesreich

Friesreich is a new faction, inspired from Prussia. Its peculiarities are outlined above.

Some official decisions concerning Murcia:

-Main infantry gets +1 damage in melee but costs 15gp
-Light infantry has attacks 6-2/4-2 but costs only 12gp and has skirmisher
-Cavalry as discussed above.
-Friar gets illuminates (chaplain also heals), no melee, pistol for range
-Artillery is standard
-All units are lawful, but it is balances by the LVL1 illumination

P.S.
Where did the idea that I'm looking for a new name for England come from? Albion is working out great...

P.P.S.
Velensk wrote:I downloaded this era several months ago so I'm not sure if this opinion wis still valid, but my major problem with it was that all the factions were very simular.
It's on purpose. The armies of most nations at the time had similar units.

That being said, they have different dynamics.

Albion has cheap cavalry and an excellent defensive infantry.
Borea is eminently spammable and good at night.
Poenia can spam too, and has excellent artillery and officers.
Rheinnen has great scouts

Freiseich is a bit like a mix between Poenia and Rheinnen, in game terms.
Murcia would probably be quite different from both.
K4tz

Post by K4tz »

This era looks pretty good. When I first downloaded it, however, the Albion's Captain's ID was A_sofficer or something like that instead of A_captain so the officer wouldn't level up. Hope this helps.
Me1234

Re: Napoleonnoth

Post by Me1234 »

i dont think that this era is on the campaign server for 1.4. i liked the era. i would like to see it back on the Server for download and play.
Confucious say "If you stand on toilet, you high on pot."
St.John

Re: Napoleonnoth

Post by St.John »

I second that! :D