Scenario 10: Gryphon Mountain

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fafnir

Post by Fafnir »

The mother gryphon was killed but not by me.
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

You don't gain the ability to train gryphons then.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they covered that Fafnir.
I had the mother gryphon killed by them once, and a screen which said something along the lines of: "ha! Now we will deny these rebels the gryphon eggs!"
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
medium 1.3.1
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Kill every enemy boss
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
"The gryphon-egg thing seems a bit of a stretch, especially coming from Konrad." couldn't agree more with that
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
No challenge, Delfador, 3 outriders with 3 assasins are next to impossible to stop here
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make the gryphons harder to beat and more active in defending the mountain.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium; 1.2.4
2) 1 - the enemy commander has limited resources, controls only about 1/3rd of the villages, and the AI isn't smart enough to maneouver his troops in this terrain. (Only a 1 because the gryphon isn't required - the level is a walk in the park if you avoid the mountain.)
3) Unclear - the objectives say kill the mother gryphon and the enemy commander, where the preceding dialog explicitely discussed that killing the gryphon is not required. Perhaps 'Kill the mother gryphon (bonus)' would be clearer.
4) Clear.
5) One of the loyalist units got next to the mother gryphon, so it became luck whether they or I got the killing blow.
6) 5
7) The AI seems to struggle badly with this map layout; its troops split up and wander around looking lost. Maybe move the mountain more to the east, so it would better define the battlefield as in the west. Or vice versa.
borisblue

Post by borisblue »

It needs to be made clearer in the dialog that you cannot let the loyalists kill the mother gryphon if you want the eggs
Hrolf

Post by Hrolf »

I've tried two times using 1.2.5 and cannot recruit gryphon riders after this scenario. My characters killed the mother gryphon and I was still unable to recruit gryphon riders on the next level.

This is very frustrating since I just upgraded to this version to give this scenario a play through on hard for the first time and was running a high mobility strategy and was planning on using gryphons in the endgame scenarios.
MDG

Post by MDG »

You don't get to recruit them on the next level. It happens later on... (quite a bit later on actually so be patient).
Hrolf

Post by Hrolf »

Bah, I'm used to being able to recruit em for the ford.
hjwn

Post by hjwn »

This has changed. They have to grow up now :D You have to wait a few scenarios.
just blame it on the rng when you lose
Clonkinator

Re: Scenario Review: HttT - Gryphon Mountain

Post by Clonkinator »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
1) 1.2.2 Easy, Normal, Hard; 1.2.4 Normal, Hard
2) Easy: 2 Normal: 3 Hard: 5
3) Not very clear. Pretty much no hint about how the gryphon mother and her eggs were handled.
4) A little boring perhaps...
5) None at all. Compared to some other scenarios of HttT, like Isle of the Damned, it actually was a peace of cake.
6) 5. It's okay, but it's a bit boring.
7) Maybe some kind of ambush in mid-scenario? Fog? Anything? Hey, I don't really know, but something to make this scenario less boring perhaps...
TGM: Orb

Post by TGM: Orb »

Challenging
4. Not difficult to hammer, but hard to hammer well.
I wasn't aware that if the orcs killed the gryphon mother, I wouldn't be able to get the eggs. Otherwise, fine.
Pretty clear. The storyline didn't particularly interest me, but it was OK.
Idiotic griffons deciding to move straight into the middle of enemy units and consequently dying more quickly than they should have. Otherwise, just had to seperate enemies.
3. Just didn't grip me at all.
Make the griffons sleep only at night. The atmosphere from them sleeping is lost entirely by them sleeping even when it's ridiculous. I think there could be a more individual feel to the mission, while this just felt like an excuse to have a few griffons who don't actually do anything except get blown to shreds or charge blindly into overwhelming power. Otherwise, I'm not particularly keen on this realisation of the concept of the mission, so I can't see it ever getting above a 5 for me, no matter how altered.
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Medium, 1.3.17

3. The mountain and the surrounding rough terrain make the battle slow, but relatively easy for Elvish Archer-tree units. The gryphons leave me alone till I've already dropped a set of archers on them, and Robert can't really put up much of a fight once I have control of the mountain -- his base is surrounded by forest.

The objectives, at least, are clear at this point (for those who don't know, currently the scenario won't end until both the mother gryphon and Robert are defeated).

Robert's existence in the map needs more clarity. I know from experience how this scenario works, but as-is, it's not even hinted at that the loyalists can also steal/destroy the eggs (I assume they destroy the eggs, since we can't retrieve them by defeating Robert or the would-be egg carrier, but this is also not made clear).

This is the first (and I think maybe, the only) scenario where the enemy can trigger an objective, so I think it deserves a little exposition.

It's not a big challenge. We have the advantage here.

4. The map is nice, if nothing else. But there's not very much going on, and there's not much chace for the enemy to get any map control.

Just to spoil me -- is there any significance to the gryphons' reaction if you don't kill them?

In light of the scenarios surrounding this one, a quick simple battle isn't so bad. It reminds me of when they had Big Show up against sumo Akebono at Wrestlemania -- slow, different, not very exciting, but largely intended to be a quiet break before the climax starts.

Minor off-topic nitpick -- the Mother Gryphon is in the Gryphon race, but the other Gryphons are Monsters. Futhermore, this means the Mother Gryphon's sidebar info reads
Mother Gryphon
Gryphon
Gryphon
After death, the doctor.
theruler

Post by theruler »

Normal on 1.4.0 Windows build version

3 easy, easy easy! I recalled 4 lvl 2 units and other 4 lvl3 for support, and I managed to let them pass to lvl3... (one died, though).

Clear, but Delfador says: "Whatever we do, we must pass by this place". As other user said, does that means the mother gryphon can be bypassed to complete the mission?

The gryphon/eggs idea is marvelous. I can't wait to ride them!

getting to kill the mother before the enemies. On turn 7 they killed the mother while I was outflanking the mountain... I restarted the scenario and went directly into the mountain... three ogres brought down the mother's life to 3 HP... then my fairy come next to steal the eggs... ,-)
after that all went smooth.

7, pretty fun, but not so challenging.
It could be prettier if you could chose to kill the gryphons and steal the eggs (VERY BRUTAL!), or try to convince them to ally with you... may be with an artifact from previous scenarios (like the trident) or cogent argumentations.

Rise the mother's HP to 80-90.
add two or three griphon more.
Better gryphon AI to let them patrol and defence the mountain area (some dormant griphons are fine though, but if the mother calls, they should wake up and fly to save her).
Make a river spring up from the mountain that head for the south of the map, to let people use mermen and tritons too.
Sentient and speaking gryphons (see point 6).
Chuck Norris' watch displays only an hour. Yours.
SumnerH

Post by SumnerH »

I'm filling these out having done Elves Beseiged-A Choice Must Be Made on "medium" difficulty, and I'm following the advice to rank 10=hardest scenario in the campaign (Seige of Elsenfar), 1 = easiest (Elves Besieged)

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, Wesnoth version 1.4
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
5, surprisingly. At the outset I was expecting it to be tough.
Very
I loved it.
(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
Discovering that you can ignore the enemy troops for the most part; Delfador/Kalenz go kill mommy, the rest of your troops rush up the east, then meet up and assassinate the (largely uprotected) enemy leader.
8. Scaling the mountains is a big change of pace.
Bring the enemy troops more into play, either huddle nearer the leader or split more evenly west/south at the outset.
zyx

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium - 1.4.1
(2) 1
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)