New faction: Dragons - posted to MP server

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

deoxy

New faction: Dragons - posted to MP server

Post by deoxy »

This thread is for comments on my first attempt at a faction, which I have posted to the MP server.

First, yes, I know the graphics are all currently ripped from Drakes; I've been collecting dragon graphics in an attempt to help me make sprites... but what can I say, I suck at it.

Secondly, I've implemented some interesting mechanics, which I think can fit in the philosophy of Wesnoth, but likely need some tweaking.

Thirdly, I've played this against the computer a good bit, but I'm sure it's not really well-balanced for facing other human players. I'm certainly taking comments on that.

Fourthly, I'm planning to make a few more units/mods to existing units (unit variation, perhaps), such as a perpetual Hatchling (runt or pygmy), so that you can have skirmishers that last, and probably a "frost dragon" variety, but I haven't decided how to implement that yet (without just making another whole unit).

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Be as brutal about it as you feel that you need to be; I'm not that good of an MP player (don't get to play hardly ever), so I'm sure there's room for lots of improvement.

Anyone who wanted to help with graphics, of course, is welcome.
Insert nifty witticism here... if only I had one.
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

Well, apart from all of the three units having the exact same unit graphics, why is it that you can recruit two level 0 units, both of which are the exact same unit except for the name and price? One of the level 0 units is 25 Gold! And you can buy the exact same unit for 9 Gold! and the entire faction so far is only 1 unit line, that goes to level 5!
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Yes, I plainly admit that the graphics are lacking - I said as much.

And the Noble Hatchling has something that quite sets it apart, actually - look at the TRAITS.

The mechanic at work is to make it more expensive to recruit, but it makes a more powerful creature for the same level, especially if you can level it up. The "paragon" trait adds 1 more attack to every type, one more damage to every type, 5% across the board resistances, 1 point of movement, etc, etc.

The idea is a more "organic" faction, with a base unit that is modified by traits or AMLAs, etc.

The graphics definitely need help.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

well, I can't seem to get any feedback on some of my concepts, so I'm going ahead with them as is, and making a more complete faction.

For some reason, I can't seem to delete this faction from the server (I'm renaming it to something a little broader) - could some developer or Sith type do that for me? Thanks.

I'll repost the complete faction when I'm a little more satisfied with it - probably fairly soon.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Sounds interesting - I'll try to take a look at it later (currently at work).

As it turns out, the full faction I'm making has dragons as only one part of it (it's called Dragon Tamers, and includes some humans as well).

Since you've already made a dragon faction, though, your feedback on the concepts I was exploring would be nice.
Coaxke

Post by Coaxke »

ok, i'll give you feedback=

TAKE IT OFF THE SERVER UNTIL YOU FINISH IT!!!!!! OR IF YOU ARE ATLEAST SOMEWHERE NEAR FINISHED!!!!
also, dont take that as an offense, it's the nicest way i can say it right now
and it is ok to have ripped images, but it is not ok (Drake Blademaster already said this) to have the exact same image for almost every unit! that is just 'redicoulous' <or however you spell that insane word :oops: >
Please click here to apply for a Computer-Aided Enrichment Center program. Message me if you need help following the simple, on-screen instructions.

Projects I'm currently working on:
  • Warlords
  • WesCiv (delayed)
  • WesCol (delayed)
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

deoxy wrote:For some reason, I can't seem to delete this faction from the server (I'm renaming it to something a little broader) - could some developer or Sith type do that for me? Thanks.
A little help? It's still there...
Laudimir

Post by Laudimir »

ok, i'll give you feedback=

TAKE IT OFF THE SERVER UNTIL YOU FINISH IT!!!!!! OR IF YOU ARE ATLEAST SOMEWHERE NEAR FINISHED!!!!
also, dont take that as an offense, it's the nicest way i can say it right now
and it is ok to have ripped images, but it is not ok (Drake Blademaster already said this) to have the exact same image for almost every unit! that is just 'redicoulous' <or however you spell that insane word Embarassed
Take a chill pill, jerk. If that is nice, I'd hate to you any other time.
All you did is point out what you didn't like. You didn't really offer anything that is helpful.

Deoxy, I don't know how uploading stuff onto the server works, but you could probably try PMing one of the developers.

I checked out the create links and found this: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Distributing_content

Somewhere in there, it is mentioned that the way you upload stuff is outdated (i.e. doesn't work). There was another link for campaign specific material (http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/BuildingCam ... stribution) but it is just as likely to be out of date.

Although I doubt my opinion would carry much weight, but it would likely be better to upload your material on the forum for users to playtest rather than on the server (since you will get flamed from n00bs) :P

I haven't had too much time to play wesnoth lately, and I've never played an MP, but I wouldn't mind checking out your faction.

As an aside, I think it would be very interesting to develop a faction of literal dragons, not tamers and whatnot. Maybe, if you wanted to add some type of humanoids...half-dragons?

Heh, I keep thinking of other things to comment about lol. The AMLAs and traits you mentioned as making the biggest difference between the hatchlings is an awesome idea, imho!
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Thanks for some real feedback, Laudimar.

I have developed the faction quite a bit further... into a Tamer faction, actually (sorry).

Hatchlings and Noble hatchlings can be recruited, and they can advance down the dragon line (with even more AMLAs, now) or down the Hydra line (new), which trades general well-roundedness (and greater levelling potential) for good old fashioned melee beat-down and lots of HP. I think Dragons were overpowered in the version you saw, so I toned them down.

Tamers have ranged and melee slowing attacks - when they level, those attacks gain "cunning", which is a custom weapon trait that adds 20% to hit on offense.

Medics heal (oddly enough) and have a ranged slow attack and a dinky melee attack. They can level into Healers (and on to Seers) or Witches (and on to War Witches). Witches are blasty, mage-like things, but with magical attacks at both ranged and melee, but none of them do as much raw damage as the mage line.

Slime puddles have no traits, are level 0, have low defense, low movement, dinky attacks, and low HP. They have REALLY high resistances (60% minimum). Toss one on a village, and it's really hard to kill. It levels into a slime blob, which is basically a higher HP version, with a bit more move and a bit more damage.

I'm still tweaking a few things, and I'd like to add one more monter-ish thing (the focus is on the Dragon/Hydra line, but if they are Tamers, they should tame other things, too), maybe two, but then I'll post it.

Grapics are still lacking on the Dragon/hydra line, but I've been collecting clip art to help me make some (I SUCK at artsy stuff).
devil_lord

Post by devil_lord »

What if you used different drake sprites like:

Drake glider(hatchling)
Hurricane drake(noble hatchling)
Drake Burner(Young Dragon)
Drake Flare(dragon)
Drake flameheart(great dragon)
Armageddon Drake(ancient dragon)
Drake clasher,gladiator, enforcer(hydras)

just an idea :D
Is there any word more meaningless than hope?
Besides blarfinsigle of course.
playtom

Post by playtom »

you're definitely gonna need some help from other wesnoth artist here to make some unique graphics thats not a rip off from drakes :|
evolved around the confined environment, emotions, knowledge and events mixed into my life, mere mortal am i, trying to climb higher up the ladder, time passes, just then i realized, death will part me eventually. - playtom's philosophy