Request for Comments: Advertising on wesnoth.org

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Request for Comments: Advertising on wesnoth.org

Post by Dave »

We receive a substantial amount of traffic to wesnoth.org -- in excess of 5000 visits per day.

As a means of raising revenue to fund Wesnoth, I am considering the concept of advertising on wesnoth.org. The advertisements would be simple, textual, and unobtrusive (something like Google AdSense).

Also, I think there would probably be a simple way for users to permanently 'opt-out' of seeing advertisements.

Money raised could be used to pay for any hosting we need, should freely-available hosting not meet our requirements, as well as fund the needs of developers. Perhaps it could even be used to assist developers in travelling to a Wesnoth development conference.

I would like to hear comments on this. Are there any concerns regarding it?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Its a good idea. Could raise a lot of money. I'm in on it. Though it shouldn't be pop-ups, most people have a pop-up blocker.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Request for Comments: Advertising on wesnoth.org

Post by Eleazar »

Dave wrote:The advertisements would be simple, textual, and unobtrusive (something like Google AdSense)
That kind of things sounds fine to me.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:Though it shouldn't be pop-ups
Oh absolutely. Nothing obnoxious. No blinking text. No images. Nothing animated. Certainly no pop-ups.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
wsultzbach

Post by wsultzbach »

I'm in, as long as registered users can block it.
What's this annoying thing that appears at the bottom of every one of my posts?
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

My two thoughts:

A) If the funding makes the site more stable/reliable, then I'm for it. Though I don't know if the seemingly-weekly forum outages are due to the server, or the forum software itself.

On the other hand,

B) I usually block all ad servers anyways (even the "unobtrusive" ones), so it's no skin off my nose anyways.
Herduk

Post by Herduk »

Dave wrote:
DEATH_is_undead wrote:Though it shouldn't be pop-ups
Oh absolutely. Nothing obnoxious. No blinking text. No images. Nothing animated. Certainly no pop-ups.
I like the idea.
Images or something animated i don't think that are a problem if they aren't to "invasive" (???)
Don't bother a dwarf.. you can argue with his hammer!
Melbourne

Post by Melbourne »

I support this idea.

I also suggest that you add a Donate link to your navigation at the top of the page, so that on every page we are reminded about how to support the project.

I saw some information about donations, but I'm having trouble finding them again. You should let people know your running costs (a rough idea of what each bill costs), because sometimes people will come up with the cash you need to pay for a certain item.
Started playing Wesnoth in June 2007 and well done for creating such a great game!
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

If it is easy to block with Adblock, I don't care. ;-) And I trust Dave to make it decent for those poor people who do not use Adblock yet.
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

For what it's worth, I dislike ads of all kind, as I get easily distracted - but I'm not reading the forums a lot anyway. And if it's something blocked by one of the adblock lists, I won't even notice :)
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Why not. I got a good Ad Block and if it saves money. I can imagine worse.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
DDR

Where are they going?

Post by DDR »

Sounds fine... where were you thinking of putting them? I have three suggestions, as follows. I gather that these ads will be on the forum, so we can specify "No Ads" in our profile? Or, will they be on the main page?
http://www.exong.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25#25
http://www.exong.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26#26
http://www.exong.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27#27
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I don't care as long as the adds don't bug me.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

I'm not a real fan of advertisements, but who is ;) ?

Seriously, if there are going to be ads on the wesnoth homepage I would prefer seeing there related stuff in the sense of other open-software, books, projects in general advertised. The problem with this is that those guys haven't money easer in most cases.
However there are some companies (IT, printed-media-publishers, etc.) that are related to those, i.e. we could have ads that mention open products in connection to those companies.

Good Examples:

Sun Microsystems, Open Office
Galileo, openbooks

Bad Examples:

Microsoft, MS Office
Harper Collins Publ., Lord of the Rings
Last edited by PingPangQui on June 28th, 2007, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
bert1

Post by bert1 »

I'm still grateful that the game is free. I'm certainly not going to complain about an unobtrusive ad if it helps the devs and volunteers to maintain the game.
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday