Necromancer's plague ?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pladio

Necromancer's plague ?

Post by Pladio »

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I have been lurking for a while, but this is my first post.

I have a question about the plague (in the game, not the medical condition).
In the plague's description it's written that when a unit is killed by an attack with the plague the unit will be replaced by a unit identical to the unit that killed it and belong the the team of the unit that killed him.

I tried it with an undead necromancer and all I got was a walking corpse.
Could someone tell me if this is normal and if so then why the description isn't true ?

Thank you very much in advance.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Necromancier's staff special is defined as "plague (Walking Corpse)"

Not an accident.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

But you're still right, the description is misleading. It's never told in-game that it spawns a WC instead.

I'd suggest redefining the plague special as always spawning a walking corpse, since no other variations of plague are used in mainline AFAIK.
Pladio

Post by Pladio »

Wouldn't it then be better to either make a unit which does use the plague or to change the description of it?
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

The description should be changed, it is from a very old definition of plague, when only Walking Corpses had it. The code was updated to allow the generation of any unit with plague, although in mainline I believe that only Walking Corpses are made. A user made campaign could do something fun like Plague(Skeleton) to have skeleton's resurrected from corpses instead. Thanks for catching the discrepency.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

how's "A unit killed with plague will respawn as a walking corpse on the side of the unit that killed it" sound. Don't soulless units also spawn soulless instead of WC?
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

Soulless spawn WC, just like any unit with plague in mainline AFAIK
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

hmm... Just a silly thought.

Idiot
lvl -1 (you lose experiance when these things attack you and gain no experiance from killing them)
hp 5
cost 2 (which is why there are zillions of them) (no upkeep)
move 5
movetype foot
Attacks
brute force (melle) impact 4-3
attempted logic (ranged) arcane 8-1 (plauge:idiot)
xp:8
advances to Idiot with an Ego
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

A quick grep through the mainline units shows that Walking Corpses are the only plague type in Mainline. Still, it would be good if the description was adjustable to allow it to describe something other than a Walking Corpse being generated. Basically, the macro: {SPECIAL_NOTES_PLAGUE} needs to have a parameter for the plague unit type.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

And to think I would actually use idiots if I could recruit them.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
cretin

Post by cretin »

i think i had a horsemen killed by a WC once and it didnt change into another WC but some horselike WC... Something like that, it was just a bit faster than the original i believe.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

cretin wrote:i think i had a horsemen killed by a WC once and it didnt change into another WC but some horselike WC... Something like that, it was just a bit faster than the original i believe.
It's a Walking Corpse, but the mounted variation. A similar intended effect is for Troll, Saurian, Wose, Merfolk and (1.3.x?) orc and dwarf variations.
Feature included since before 1.0.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I've already changed the mainline plague ability to always spawn a WC and state that in the description. So, if someone wants a special that spawns anything else than WC's in the future, they'll have to make one (but luckily, that's trivial).