New Stone Path Tile

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

toms wrote:IMHO the current one is just fine, and yours looks just less defined.
I thought of it as a slight improvement. If you look at a coble road it's color is usually a bit lighter. It depends on the kind of rock of course, but when a road is used often it gets a lighter color because of scratches and other damage.

But I think that Humas and Elves and ... any race with some intelligence isn't going to bother making a good solid road when it isn't used, (with the excepetion of ruins and the like) so it should be lighter IMHO

:wink:

greetz
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Jetryl wrote:Eleazar should adjust the final versions of these to whatever coloration he deems fit; it might still be a little on the "too saturated" side, but I'm not sure.
Of course i will... Terrain art usually requires several rounds of tweaking to truly blend it.
But i'm eager to see someone else tackle the challenge of terrain art, especially now that freim has moved on.

We still need at least 6 transitions, and the variation with more grass has the clumps at unnaturally even intervals.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

Eleazar wrote:...We still need at least 6 transitions, and the variation with more grass has the clumps at unnaturally even intervals.
The list of png's should now be complete.

After spending some time on coulored stones wich always were incompatible with some other terrain, i decided to limit the colors for the stones to a clean gray scale. And after all the discusion about the saturation. I was not sure, so i made two versions. One less and the other more saturated.
Attachments
stonepath_more_saturated.zip
(124.01 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
screenshot_more_saturated.jpg
screenshot_more_saturated.jpg (255.73 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
stonepath_less_saturated.zip
(121.29 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
screenshot_less_saturated.jpg
screenshot_less_saturated.jpg (248.41 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

I vote for the less saturated, the more saturated one, are very green and ugly.
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Less is more. I vote for less.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It's amazing how much different the screenshots look on a CRT monitor versus on an LCD. :? Well, in any case, I vote less-saturated on both of them.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I honestly think both of these new ones look a fair deal worse than the previous version, but less saturated is the less ugly of the two.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Master Stilgar wrote:I honestly think both of these new ones look a fair deal worse than the previous version, but less saturated is the less ugly of the two.
I do too.

The problem lies in how bold and crisp the green lines are between the individual tiles, now - they were right, beforehand, but they're far, far too strong, and too clean.

I'd go so far as to roll back one revision.

Start from this baby, take a different path (no pun intended):
http://exong.net/wesnoth-attach/files/s ... it_101.jpg

On the other hand - the little patches of grass growing on some of the tiles - very good idea (this isn't new, but it's more visible now; they shouldn't be any stronger in luminosity/saturation than the actual grass tiles, but they're a good element to have in these.
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

Master Stilgar wrote:I honestly think both of these new ones look a fair deal worse than the previous version, but less saturated is the less ugly of the two.
Jetryl wrote:I do too.

The problem lies in how bold and crisp the green lines are between the individual tiles, now - they were right, beforehand, but they're far, far too strong, and too clean.
Maybe it was wrong from me to leave the new stone path and scaling the tile to grey to approach a similar old road look.
With pleasure i'll step away from the grey and crowded main street and explore the stoney side ways as i've done before :)
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

I think I agree with Jetryl and Master Stilgar, but I have to admit, that little map looks beautiful (from an aesthetic point of view). I like the balance of landscapes, it feels very natural. I think those farmland tiles add a lot in terms of immersion. It really makes Wesnoth feel like a living, breathing world.
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

Here is my new version for a stoney side path.
I started from scratch. The pattern is now much narrower then before.
Do you think this one is better then a pattern with larger stones?
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (197.04 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
hunz

Post by hunz »

The last one looks too much "noisy", I prefer the larger one.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I think the one Jetryl linked back to is still better as far as "stone path" goes. This newest one looks more like greenish sand or debris, more like a green version of the "desert road" tile - the larger details were what made it possible to see that it was supposed to be rock.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

The new version is much more in scale with the buildings, but like hunz says, it's too noisy. I actually think your path versions have been better than the main stone path; compared to yours, I now now feel that the base version is too sharp and clean and also that its stones are slightly oversized. I found that very noticeable on the new Wesnoth 1.3.whatever screenshots. But I hadn't picked up on that until I saw your new attempts alongside. Using the original stone path as a reference, I'd suggest stones about 2/3-3/4 their original size, and using your new noisy path as the base, individual stones need to be somewhere between half again and twice as big.
Sabata

Post by Sabata »

musketaquid wrote:Do you think this one is better then a pattern with larger stones?
I prefer the big ones.

But, can you give those littel ones? :P
We fall to rise again.