Napoleonnoth

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

As I wrote in another thread, my leisure time has been shrinking greatly in recent times, which is why development has been so slow. Luckily, I have some free time on my hands now, and have decided to work on some of the add-ons I made.

My Priorities list is:
- get Legacy up and running on 1.3
- polish Legacy some more
- finally get the new graphics for the Classical Era installed
- get the Classical Era on 1.3 as well
- polish the Classical Era some more

I've always been more of a campaign person than an MP person, and working on Legacy is certain.

However, The Classical Era (while I am fairly proud of it) has always been the secondary project, and it requires more work than Legacy right now.

So, I've decided to take a little plebiscite. I don't mean to be a drama queen, but I'm not sure I'd want to invest the time and effort to spruce up the Classical Era if no one plays it anymore (as opposed to Legacy on which I'd keep on working no matter what).

So, The Question is :
Does anyone still care about the Classical Era ? Is it worth my time to work on it some more ?

Let the vox populi speak...
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Casual User wrote:Does anyone still care about the Classical Era ? Is it worth my time to work on it some more ?
I like it, but don't work on it just for me. Let's see who else casts a vote, and what they vote for.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I'm a fan.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Troy

Napoleonnoth

Post by Troy »

I'm not in to it but my brother is :)
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Well, it isn't much of a plebiscite, but two people I like a lot (as far as one can like people one has never met in real life) have voted in favor of it, so I'll go on with the program.

Porting Napoleonnoth on to 1.3.2 wasn't much of a hassle (I've recently played the first 1.3 game with Napoleonnoth).

Adding the new graphics will take more time. My original image files have been lost, and I'd forgotten to make back-ups of them, so I'll have to piece them together from what I posted on the forum. I must admit I posted the new art on the forum at least partially to assure myself of a backup.

I won't post Napoleonnoth on the campaign server until I've added the new graphics.

So, no real point to this post except to say the plebiscite is over and the project is not abandoned.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Many thanks, CU. I look forward to seeing it up again.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Yes, thank you. And thanks for the compliment.
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

would really like to see it ... installed recently but fails to load because of missing unit type "commander_R" : (
major_sephiroth

Post by major_sephiroth »

Casual User, I have all the images used in the 1.2.4 version, so here.

(Now I know why I keep those older campaigns :P )
Attachments
Images.zip
The Images folder from the last one, in a .zip
(310.44 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
Last edited by major_sephiroth on July 2nd, 2007, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tell me what you cherish most, give me the pleasure of taking it away!" --Sephiroth FF7:AC
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

I wrote:I won't post Napoleonnoth on the campaign server until I've added the new graphics.
So let it be written, so let it be done!

It's taken a lot longer than I'd expected, but Napoleonnoth is now up on the 1.3 server, with the new graphics.

I must admit I haven't checked the download yet, but I have played two games, one Poenia vs Rheinnen, the other Borea vs Albion, and the units and images seem to work fine.

You need to have halos turned on for the new graphics to function properly. If turned off, some units will be undistinguishable from their level-ups.

------------------------------------------------------------

Balancing changes:

- Removed doctors from Poenia and added charge to Poenian officers from LVL1. Albion officers are now cheaper whereas Poenian ones are more expensive but can lead conscripts even without levelling.

- All units now have two traits. Lawful and chaotic ones can be resilient, quick, intelligent and/or fearless whereas neutral units can be resilient, quick, intelligent and/or healthy.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Well, with the new art released and all, I think it is fitting to go back to some unfinished business... While I will eventually want to refine what we have already, I feel we should expand the world of Napoleonnoth a little.

First, a little naming:
Ozymandias, a long time ago, wrote:It' a bit late, but I've just looked through this thread today, sooo... I've noted you've changed Rainnen to Rheinnen to make it look more Germanic. As a German, I don't think it worked that well.
While I like Rheinnen as a name, I also feel it could be beneficial to consider alternative names.

Possible other names:
-Habsreich
-Esterland

Feedback on these, or other ideas, would be welcome.

Second, an old project:
I, a long time ago, wrote:Apart from the 'major players' (France, England, Austria and Russia), other important countries in the Napoleonic wars were (in order):
-Prussia
-Spain
-Free Italian states
-Turkey
It may be a bit early to start adding factions, but it couldn't hurt to establish a rough feel of the Prussian faction.

As I see it, it would of course have the standard infantry/cavalry/artillery, with the following specials:

-Regular infantry
-Regular cavalry
-Artillery significantly cheaper than standard, to represent Prussia's superior industry.

Another aspect of Prussia's military, which became apparent in the Franco-Prussian War, was Prussia's ease to mobilize large armies.

I would like some way of showing this, other than merely lowering the infantry's cost (which is, at the moment, Borea's trademark), or giving them a LVL0 infantry unit (which is, at the moment, part of Poenia).

If anyone has any ideas...

Special units:

Special Infantry:
Seargent, a dismounted sword and pistol officer, with leadership, and much cheaper than Poenia's or Albion's mounted officers.

Special Cavalry:
Landwehr, mounted militias, weak and with no charge but fast, cheap and very useful as scouts and skirmishers.

Prussia's uniforms would be deep-gray, almost black.

Any opinions?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Casual User wrote:First, a little naming:
Ozymandias, a long time ago, wrote:It' a bit late, but I've just looked through this thread today, sooo... I've noted you've changed Rainnen to Rheinnen to make it look more Germanic. As a German, I don't think it worked that well.
While I like Rheinnen as a name, I also feel it could be beneficial to consider alternative names.

Possible other names:
-Habsreich
-Esterland

Feedback on these, or other ideas, would be welcome.
Maybe. Still, I think either Österland or Östmark would be best (do not neglect the umlaut!).
Another aspect of Prussia's military, which became apparent in the Franco-Prussian War, was Prussia's ease to mobilize large armies.

I would like some way of showing this, other than merely lowering the infantry's cost (which is, at the moment, Borea's trademark), or giving them a LVL0 infantry unit (which is, at the moment, part of Poenia).

If anyone has any ideas...

Special units:

Special Infantry:
Seargent, a dismounted sword and pistol officer, with leadership, and much cheaper than Poenia's or Albion's mounted officers.

Special Cavalry:
Landwehr, mounted militias, weak and with no charge but fast, cheap and very useful as scouts and skirmishers.

Prussia's uniforms would be deep-gray, almost black.
Those both sound like interesting ideas. Another possibility would be to make all the Prussian infantrymen slightly faster than normal infantrymen. Just a thought, do with it what you will.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

great job on this era and games. But I noticed you said you needed ideas for future campaigns set in this era or nearabouts.

1- The Mexican War and Texas Independance. Santa Anna modeled his entire armies after Napoleon.

2- The various wars for independance in South American countries(too many to list) but most of these wars, well after Napoleon's exile, used Napoleonic Tactics. Simon Bolivar would be a good place to start on research.

3- The Java War or Diponegoro War was fought in Java between 1825 and 1830. It started as a rebellion led by the illustrious Prince Diponegoro. The trigger was the Dutch decision to build a road across a piece of his property that contained his parent's tomb.

4- Russo Turkish wars- Just prior to Napoleon's rise. Between Russia and the Ottoman Empire

5-something close to the Boer War. Course, machine guns were used by this time so maybe not.

6-Musket Wars of New Zealand and the New Zealand Land Wars

Hope this helps.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
ElectricEel

Post by ElectricEel »

Nice work. There's one problem, though: when I try to play a randomly-generated map in local multiplayer mode with the era selected, I get the error message seen here when I try to start the game. I'm using Wesnoth 1.3.6 on Windows XP.

Also:
- All units now have two traits. Lawful and chaotic ones can be resilient, quick, intelligent and/or fearless whereas neutral units can be resilient, quick, intelligent and/or healthy.
Why no 'healthy' trait for non-neutrals?

Are the Rheinnen Woodsmen supposed to have Ambush? If so, they seem to be missing it. It also looked like the Sharpshooters were missing their Marksman ability.

Edit: The more I play this, the more I like it. One observation: it is very difficult to kill an enemy holed up in a village without artillery or higher-level cavalry. I like this, expect that the AI may have a bit of a problem with it.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Maybe. Still, I think either Österland or Östmark would be best (do not neglect the umlaut!).
Österland is way too close to Österreich for my taste. Östmark is nice. Going back to my discussion with Ozymandias, Rheinereich might also work.
Temuchin Khan wrote:Another possibility would be to make all the Prussian infantrymen slightly faster than normal infantrymen. Just a thought, do with it what you will.
A very interesting idea, but not for Prussia IMHO. I think it would work nicely for either Spain or Turkey though.
Edward V Riley wrote:6-Musket Wars of New Zealand and the New Zealand Land Wars
Not familiar with these I must admit.

I'm not really sure the Napoleonnoth format would be good for campaigns. However, most of the wars you pointed out go back to new factions I hope to add at some point or another.
ElectricEel wrote:There's one problem, though: when I try to play a randomly-generated map in local multiplayer mode with the era selected, I get the error message seen here when I try to start the game. I'm using Wesnoth 1.3.6 on Windows XP.
Darn! I rarely use random maps for play-testing so there might be a bug linked to that. I'll check it out.

It could also be a version mismatch. I'm using Wesnoth 1.3.2 on Windows 98. Unfortunately, if it's that, until I download a new version of Wesnoth (which I'm not eager to do as I am on dial-up), there's little I can do.
ElectricEel wrote:Why no 'healthy' trait for non-neutrals?

Are the Rheinnen Woodsmen supposed to have Ambush? If so, they seem to be missing it. It also looked like the Sharpshooters were missing their Marksman ability.
Non-neutrals don't get 'healthy' because of a personal preference. I hate units which get 2 traits out of 5 possible ones. 1 or 2 traits out of 4 possible are both schemes which I like, numerically and gameplay-wise.

Woodsmen aren't supposed to have ambush, but they have 60% defense in forests and hills, meaning they essentially move and fight in them as if they were in castles.

Sharpshooters don't get marksman, but they should get a custom special named 'accurate', same as the artillery, which gives a minimum of 70% CTH on attack. Play-testing has suggested that the special worked, but now I'm not so sure...

And to all who paid compliments, I give thanks!