Poison Upgrade

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

I like how poison works: It helps a lot weakening strong melee-based enemies, but is weak enough to not kill in one turn (your arguments sound like it should be better than normal ranged, when it should not be, IMO).

Poison is the kind of thing that can devastate your army if you are not very prudent with your strategy, but it needs some turns to show it's real power. If what you need is an urgent, this-turn solution to kill an enemy, use normal ranged instead.

The kind of thing you are proposing is more like a magical attack IMO, which can be interesting by itself, but is a completely different thing.

(Another thing which can be worth to explore is a 'poison aura')
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

OOPS

major typo there, I meant to say:

assassin knifes elf. Elf is poisoned at 6
spider bites elf. Elf is poisoned at 12
assassin knifes elf. No change.

(doh!)

Anyways, one way this could be implemented would be a switch from:

Code: Select all

[attack]
	special=poison
[/attack]
to

Code: Select all

[attack]
	poison=8
[/attack]
Not a terribly hard change, but it allows us more flexibility in the future.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Nice...

Then, certain things could have poison=1000. (I'm thinking of creatures in a story you've probably never heard of.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

If this gets implended it is my job to make a poison=20 "Rabid dwarf" unit :D
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

an extra value should not be added just for a specialty. poison=8 is simply evil, WMLwise.

Poison should stay simple. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:? Poison = 8 is simple, WML-wise. In fact, I might almost be willing to code it, should I ever get access to the code.

I'm saying poison shouldn't be a specialty, because it is a value that can scale. Some values can't, like, you couldn't have levels 8 and 12 skirmishing - what would change?

Poison is a fundamental feature of many games. Why not open the door to better use of it in the future, while leaving its current effect intact?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Because it makes things more complicated. Right now Poison does 8 damage at the beginning of a unit's turn. It can be cured in a village or by a Curing unit.

Would 20/turn poison be cured in the same way?
Would poisons stack? The case for stackable poison is bolstered by different poison types.
How would poison be displayed? You'd need an additional display somewhere to show how poisoned a unit is; how much damage it's suffering a turn.

Overall, I just don't see the need for more types of poison.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

or we could just make them different abilities that are effective to different things :D like "burnt" wich does affect undead but not drakes and stuff.
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Jetryl wrote::? Poison = 8 is simple, WML-wise. In fact, I might almost be willing to code it, should I ever get access to the code.
Huh? Code is publicly available!

By the way, I also don't see the point of having different poison strengths. "How" is not a problem, the main point is "Why".
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

my point was that the WML poison=8 is completely different from all the other WML values. It doesn't fit with the rest of the system, IMHO.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm