TOC3: The Bracket, the Maps and the Rules

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yogin

Post by Yogin »

Cackfiend wrote:see noy, the main problem is you just dont have all the facts but we already discussed this in lobby
Noy wrote:Why don't you tell us the "facts" then Cack. I'm sure everybody wants to hear your side of the story.
Well, since Cack has declined to offer up the facts, here are the facts as will be backed up by an examination of the forum messaging logs, the MP server logs, and the irc channel logs.

Fact 1.
I contacted Cack prior to the match to reschedule, explicitly saying I would be unable to play on Saturday of the tourney until the evening. I offered to play Friday evening, Saturday evening, anytime Sunday, or any other time the following week.

Fact 2. Cack claimed he tried to contact me multiple times, yet I received no messages whatsoever. He was in-game Friday night, but in a private game with ereksos that he created, and I was unable to reach him. I talked to ereksos after their game on Friday, but was unable to catch Cack.

Fact 3. I finally received contact from him via two different forms of communication early Saturday morning (1600 GMT). This, conveniently is not during any of the stated times I would be available. He offered to play anytime during the next 5 hours. Again, I had explicitly mentioned I would not be available during these 5 hours. The method of these two communications were: (a) forum PM, his first, to me, (b) saying my name in an irc channel, also the first time.

Fact 4. I arrived on Wesnoth 2300 GMT Saturday, replied to his PM, offering to play Saturday night, or anytime else. I also mentioned that uso identified the fact that he was unregistered on irc, and therefore had problems sending irc pm's.

Fact 5. I never heard from him again, until ...

Fact 6. Sunday evening, I found him on 1.2.x server in a 2v2. I offered to play the games. He said that he would force forfeit the matchup. He also offered to play me anytime in order to see what would have happened. This is the last time I communicated with him.

=====================

Cackfiend, for someone who has a win-at-all-costs mentality, you proceeded correctly. You win at no cost to yourself, and are allowed to advance in the tourney with absolutely no risk.

Cackfiend, for someone who is trying to be a member of a community, you have failed utterly. Noy is right; you're attitude is seriously askew. Not only on forum exchanges, on irc, or via pm. You seem to care about how other people perceive you. For instance, on an old thread, you offered to talk to me via pm to sort issues out. I pm'd you. I never heard back from you. Such behavior is disingenuous, deceptive, and anti-social. Honestly, if you want to be a part of a social community, and to be respected, which it seems you want to be, you really should consider learning a more mature way of communicating to other people.

===============

Regarding the match, I don't contest it. If he wishes to ball up and play, then I'm fine with that, but if he wishes to continue, then it's his prerogative. The rules are what is stated, and I accept them.
Last edited by Yogin on May 17th, 2007, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ereksos

just to clarify

Post by ereksos »

i am too admitted to the second round without a fight.
i had a game with F8 and won relating to the seat.
EREKSOS
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Yogin wrote:The rules are what is stated, and I accept them.

then why did you make this post?

all i can say is theres two sides to every story, and i honestly just dont care enough to illustrate all the facts of my side of the story.

the facts are now that you were forced to forfeit, and im in the second round

and thats not going to change

so just let it go, if you truly accept it
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Cackfiend wrote:
Yogin wrote:The rules are what is stated, and I accept them.

then why did you make this post?

all i can say is theres two sides to every story, and i honestly just dont care enough to illustrate all the facts of my side of the story.
You certainly talk alot of **** in the games, on IRC, on the Forum, writing a simple rebuttal of these facts should be no problem for you. You keep pointing to it saying its there, show us.

Or you just don't have an opposite side, which is probably more likely given the continuity of actions.

And why did he make this post? Because he's ticked off, as most people would be. And now you're implying he's a liar, which would make me doubly ticked off.

What you fail to realize is that the rules were not placed there as a means by which people could exploit to win, like you did, but for situations where a player never showed up for any of his games.
Yogin had a legitimate reason why he couldn't make a game on Saturday, and attempted his best to contact you. Instead of offering to play the round in the week still allotted, you made him concede.

Any wonder why people don't respect you?
palloco

Post by palloco »

Cackfiend wrote:then why did you make this post?
Because people asked for the facts and since Yogin's version and yours:
Cackfiend wrote:the facts are now that you were forced to forfeit, and im in the second round
have no contradictions, we can see the whole picture of the story.

It is a pity that people only care about winning. When I play a game like this I only care about having fun, and playing tournaments or whatever with such behaviours, just degrades the enjoyment of the game.
danv

Post by danv »

Is there any chance to gain information about the next upcoming tournament? Would be glad to join!

-Swift-
Nordmann

Post by Nordmann »

Reading the facts and your answer cackfield. I agree to Noys words. A really ashaming and dishonoring way of winning... even there would be a second side of the story? What would have been better then proving the own skills on the battlefield?

Nordmann
Well up north it should be cold...
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Noy wrote: You certainly talk alot of **** in the games, on IRC, on the Forum,
ditto

Noy wrote:And why did he make this post? Because he's ticked off, as most people would be. And now you're implying he's a liar, which would make me doubly ticked off.
im not implying hes a liar... i just said theres two sides to every story

Noy wrote: What you fail to realize is that the rules were not placed there as a means by which people could exploit to win, like you did, but for situations where a player never showed up for any of his games.
that fact is on that saturday i discussed the options with doc patterson and the conclusion was forced forfeit

Noy wrote: and attempted his best to contact you.
hardly

Noy wrote: Any wonder why people don't respect you?
i get plenty of respect from people on this game actually :)

please stop spamming this forum, its about the tournament not about our little e-fight. you're a developer, i expected more from you then to start a flame up in a thread like this.

if you want to speak to me then send me PM's like i do to yogin, dont spam threads.

you're dragging people into now that know even less than you do (norddman and palloco)

i'm done responding to this nonsense on forum threads, you know where to find me on irc and in pm's.

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

danv wrote:Is there any chance to gain information about the next upcoming tournament? Would be glad to join!

-Swift-
becephalus is trying to put together a monthly tournament, theres a thread about it somewhere

as far as the next Tournament of Champions (TOC4?) that will prolly be months down the line

Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Yeah I would guess TOC4 would be like mid summer. Perhaps later.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Cackfiend wrote:
Noy wrote:And why did he make this post? Because he's ticked off, as most people would be. And now you're implying he's a liar, which would make me doubly ticked off.
im not implying hes a liar... i just said theres two sides to every story
Lets hear that story cackfiend, we're waiting.
Cackfiend wrote:
Noy wrote: What you fail to realize is that the rules were not placed there as a means by which people could exploit to win, like you did, but for situations where a player never showed up for any of his games.
that fact is on that saturday i discussed the options with doc patterson and the conclusion was forced forfeit
No, you could have easily reschedule, which you didn't. You still had six days to play his matches, how the "conclusion had to be forced forfeit" is beyond me.
Cackfiend wrote:
Noy wrote: and attempted his best to contact you.
hardly

Excuse me? What do you expect, Telepathy? He all means by which wesnoth uses to communicate, IRC message, IRC PM, Forum PM, Forum Post, and Server message. You did not respond to any of them, whether inadvertantly or due to duplicity.
Cackfiend wrote:
Noy wrote: Any wonder why people don't respect you?
i get plenty of respect from people on this game actually :)
Hardly

Cackfiend wrote:please stop spamming this forum, its about the tournament not about our little e-fight. you're a developer, i expected more from you then to start a flame up in a thread like this.
Hilarious and ironic that you're the one calling for people to uphold some sort of civility in their behavior.
Cackfiend wrote:if you want to speak to me then send me PM's like i do to yogin, dont spam threads.

you're dragging people into now that know even less than you do (norddman and palloco)

i'm done responding to this nonsense on forum threads, you know where to find me on irc and in pm's.

SO in conclusion, three posts later, Cackfiend has STILL yet to provide and evidence of his so called innocence. I wonder if we are ever going to see any real response, or just more cackfiend obscurations.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

i talked to ereksos the other night and told him that pietro and i wont have our third game finished until either today or maybe even as late as early monday

the game is started, on turn 16 or so, but no fight yet

ereksos, try to get on irc?

ereksos

toc3

Post by ereksos »

when is the deadline for round 2? and round 3?
Also, what happen after the dateline?

I will be available from around 0200gmt to 0500gmt. Alternatively, i am also around at 1000 to 1200.
EREKSOS
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: toc3

Post by Doc Paterson »

ereksos wrote:when is the deadline for round 2? and round 3?

I will be available from around 0200gmt to 0500gmt. Alternatively, i am also around at 1000 to 1200.
It's all included in the first post of this thread. The deadlines are always Saturdays, and the deadline for Round Two has passed. I understand that Cackfiend and Pietro have some sort of special arrangement where the deciding game will be played on Wednesday.
Last edited by Doc Paterson on May 21st, 2007, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Cackfiend

Re: toc3

Post by Cackfiend »

Doc Paterson wrote:
ereksos wrote:when is the deadline for round 2? and round 3?

It's all included in the first post of this thread. The deadlines are always Saturdays, and the deadline for Round Two has passed. I understand that Cackfiend and Pietro have some sort of special arrangement where the deciding game will be played on Wednesday. I want everyone to make sure that the Round Three matches of the winner of that series finish by this upcoming Saturday. Things are a little looser now that we're past the initial rounds, but I still want to keep things from getting bogged down, so I will make advancement rulings, if necessary.

it's tuesday actually, after pietro is done with finals :D

it has been very very difficult for us to schedule games with eachother (theres a 6 hour timezone difference) plus our 2nd game lasted around 7 hours which didnt help (and also made me very late for work two days in a row)

but we are on turn 16 or so of our tie breaker game, and although it could easily become another 50+ turn game we should have a winner by tuesday night.