Multiplayer - looking for players

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Seji

Multiplayer - looking for players

Post by Seji »

Hello

I'm new to that forum and quite new to Wesnoth which I find really really great :). I've played and finished HttT and TB (on easy). Now I'm playing The South guard on Easy and The Rise of Wesnoth on moderate.

I'm looking for someone I could play online with (I've played Wesnoth online once and want more ;).

Yes, I can be a cannon fodder - I'll learn sth at least being smashed by better players ;).

Anyone? :)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

If you go on the server you will find many many people (1.2.4 server) who would play with youl. Just create a game, or join a game.

P.S.By the way The Rise of Wesnoth is a very difficult camapin once you get past clearwater port. I would not recomend for a newbi. By the same tolkein, the south gaurd is a very easy campain, and if you have finished HTTT then it should provide no challange on easy.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Seji

Post by Seji »

You know, I don't want to join like that - many games I saw were for selected people or for experienced players - no, it's nothing bad :) but sometimes I was waiting a couple of minutes and there were no games open.

If you say that creating the game is fine, then I'll do it :).

And regarding the campaigns: I've noticed that TRoW is quite hard, but I like challenges. And it's the best way to learn something (Swamps of Esten (?) were hard as hell, but I've made it after 6 or 7 attempts). The South Guard is fine, but also hurts sometimes ;). And playing everything on easy is just boring ;).
Philip le Cene

Post by Philip le Cene »

I know about the "already full" ones where there's only one player, waiting for his friends to come on especially if they're good players. I've been kicked for no good reason on that account.
It took me 3 times to understand that the guy was waiting for friends. I couldn't play for a while because of that though: had to wait for other players.
Knights,elves,mages Oh my!?
"a Woses' toeses what his toeses' woses
and woses' toeses woses roses who at woses' toeses roses"(if you understand thumb's up!)
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

Yeah, it pisses me off when I enter games and just get kicked instantly. Being able to alter the name of the game you create is for a reason, people! Mark it as private. v_V
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
Wen Yang

Post by Wen Yang »

Ultimatum479 wrote:Yeah, it pisses me off when I enter games and just get kicked instantly. Being able to alter the name of the game you create is for a reason, people! Mark it as private. v_V
Have to agree with that sentiment there. If I made a game waiting for some friends, I'd name it appropriately, at least a "private" by the name of the game.

I don't know, I just find it kind of rude to just kick someone without saying anything. Is it too much trouble to tell people that they are waiting for friends and ask them to leave politely?
The first technique is the last. The beginner and the master behaves in the same way. Knowledge is a full circle. - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings.
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Very true.

However, I usually don't let those things make me angry, since I know they will happen again. Anyway recently I experienced something which was really :x .
It often happens that people just leave without saying a word when they start to loose. However that guy just banned me.

(sorry for being off topic)
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
Seji

Post by Seji »

And now the good news (not the comlpains ;)) - I've managed to "convert" my two pals to Wesnoth ("What? Fantasy TBS? I have HoMM3!" - yup, it was hard ;)) and had a couple of multiplayer battles (1vs1 and once with 3 players). Wesnoth online is fun as hell :). We play private games for now but I hope to learn a bit more and start looking for players :).
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Ultimatum479 wrote:Yeah, it pisses me off when I enter games and just get kicked instantly. Being able to alter the name of the game you create is for a reason, people! Mark it as private. v_V
The reason this doesn't occur is because many games are semi-private. It is too hard to call a game "If you are Noy, Myth khiM, jb, Winter, Noyga, JW, cham, Soliton, DK, Pietro, Haibane, palloco, Ond, Kollle, Yogin, Truper, zero, Tonepoet, Doc, Nordmann, or Roman (I am forgetting tons of friends sorry) feel free to join. If I called the game private these people would think they were unwanted.

MUCH simpler and quicker when you just start the game and then cull players as they come in. I myself refuse to play with people I do not know unless someone I do know will vouch for them. Almost everytime I play with a stranger they either leave early, or are a really quite poor player. This ruins what can be a large time investment for someone who works 6 days a week.

Poor players are tolerable if they have a good attitude and want to learn, and if they play with good poeple can get better quickly. But many are just there to goof off, which is perfectly fine, but not in my games :).

People just need to be aware (as should be obvious) that being immediately kicked is nothing personal. It just means you aren't the person the host was looking for, I know I never take any offense to it.

I do get annoyed when we have a group of players discussing setting up a game in lobby, deciding who can play and who cannot, and who will just observe, and then you create a game and 5 people who were not participants in the conversation feel the need to attempt to jump into the game. That si when I kick people with malice in my heart insetad of just indifference.

Seji if you ever want a game and see me just ask and I will try to teach you some things :)
Last edited by Becephalus on May 18th, 2007, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Seji

Post by Seji »

Becephalus wrote:I myself refuse to play with people I do not know unless someone I do know will vouch for them. Almost everytime I play with a stranger they either leave early, or are a really quite poor player. This ruins what can be quit the time investment for someone who works 6 days a week.
I think that's the problem with multiplayer games in general. People like to play with friends - for the reasons mentioned by you. It's also more comfortable. And I found it (at least for now) easier to play at all - looks like it's 4 guys now I've converted to Wesnoth :) ("OMG! It's about TACTICS!").

I personally have no problem playing with strangers - I like to meet new people (greetings to one Czech guy who shoved me basics of Wesnoth multiplay one day - unfortunately I forgot his name).
Seji if you ever want a game and see me just ask and I will try to teach you some things :)
Thanks! I'll try to find you :). But, as I'm also working 5-6 days a week it's sometimes hard to find time :/.