~[Arabic Translation]~

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Varkez wrote:could someone delete tephlons post? its annoying :P
Do you consider it likely that someone deletes the posts from a moderator which tephlon is? No? Me neither.
Varkez wrote:oh & i have a question do i translate the $n /n stuff?
If you mean \n it's translated as \n and marks a forced linebreak.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Varkez

Post by Varkez »

If you mean \n it's translated as \n and marks a forced linebreak.
Thanks :D and what about stuff that starts with $ i think it has something to do with coding?
Do you consider it likely that someone deletes the posts from a moderator which tephlon is? No? Me neither.
Well then mod tephlon i get it you want me to stop so just delete the quote its annoying :P

EDIT: oh and can someone please add Arabic to the Status page even if its at 0% :D Thanks...
"The Wheel Of Time Turns,And Ages Come and Go. What was,what is and what will be may yet fall under the shadow.
Let The Dragon Ride Again on the winds of time."
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

and what about stuff that starts with $ i think it has something to do with coding?
Yes. As you already suspected, it is most probably a variable which got filled ,or better sayd ,exchanged with a name, or amount of gold by the program. It needs to be untouched to remain a working variable, so please don't translate them even halfway, like $GOLD.AMOUNT $gold.الغربة .
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Varkez wrote:could someone delete tephlons post? its annoying :P
I would suggest PM'ng tephlon and explaining that since you have mended your ways, you would like to be able to put the error in judgement behind you and so would appreciate if he edited his post to delete the quotation which you have already edited out from your original post. It could be done by another mod if tephlon has left wesnoth, but I am not aware that this is the case.
Varkez

Post by Varkez »

vonHalenbach wrote:
and what about stuff that starts with $ i think it has something to do with coding?
Yes. As you already suspected, it is most probably a variable which got filled ,or better sayd ,exchanged with a name, or amount of gold by the program. It needs to be untouched to remain a working variable, so please don't translate them even halfway, like $GOLD.AMOUNT $gold.الغربة .
so i dont have to translate any string that has a $ in it?
$gold.الغربة
its obvious you copied that word from DAWS post :P since its absoloutly out of place XD
"The Wheel Of Time Turns,And Ages Come and Go. What was,what is and what will be may yet fall under the shadow.
tephlon
Translator

Post by tephlon »

Okay, I've removed my post. Let's not go there again.
Former maintainer of the Swedish translation [Stats]
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Varkez wrote:
vonHalenbach wrote: Yes. As you already suspected, it is most probably a variable which got filled ,or better sayd ,exchanged with a name, or amount of gold by the program. It needs to be untouched to remain a working variable, so please don't translate them even halfway, like $GOLD.AMOUNT $gold.الغربة .
$gold.الغربة
its obvious you copied that word from DAWS post :P since its absoloutly out of place XD
Okay, you got me :lol: I undestand no arabic and have no clue, what i copied. I hope it was nothing bad. :oops:
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Varkez wrote:[
no, you will still need to translate the rest of the string, just not the "words" that are started with $. For example from 14_Dwarven_Dwarves.cfg of HTTT

Code: Select all

{VARIABLE_OP message_text format (_ "$outlaw_name|! How have you bee
n? I haven't seen you in years.")} 
{VARIABLE_OP message_text format (_ "Haw! Any friend of $outlaw_name is a fr
iend of mine too.")}
You will need to translate everything but the "$outlaw_name|" in the first one and $outlaw_name in the second one.
Varkez

Post by Varkez »

vonHalenbach wrote:
Okay, you got me :lol: I undestand no arabic and have no clue, what i copied. I hope it was nothing bad. :oops:
hehe dun worry it means far from home or something like that (in another country)

no, you will still need to translate the rest of the string, just not the "words" that are started with $. For example from 14_Dwarven_Dwarves.cfg of HTTT

Code:
{VARIABLE_OP message_text format (_ "$outlaw_name|! How have you bee
n? I haven't seen you in years.")}
{VARIABLE_OP message_text format (_ "Haw! Any friend of $outlaw_name is a fr
iend of mine too.")}

You will need to translate everything but the "$outlaw_name|" in the first one and $outlaw_name in the second one.
Varkez

Post by Varkez »

i have news my friends :) :)

i have progressed aload since last time i posted here but i fear that since i am the only one translating ... i am not proggressing as fast as i thought i would :D but i have noticed that the game has been updated does that affect my translation?
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Varkez wrote:i have news my friends :) :)

i have progressed aload since last time i posted here but i fear that since i am the only one translating ... i am not proggressing as fast as i thought i would :D but i have noticed that the game has been updated does that affect my translation?
Yes, it affects your translation, but to a little degree. Which campains did you translate and which version did you start with? e.g. 1.2 or the new 1.3 ?

You don't have to start over. Your translation can be merged into the new files. This happens a lot. No big deal.
Varkez

Post by Varkez »

i didnt do campaigns.. im in the procces of doing the main file... i think it was ver 1.2.2

:D
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Hi, Varkez! Nice to hear that the Arabic translation is still being done... I was not sure, because I did not see any report at http://gettext.wesnoth.org

The version 1.4 is planned for the end of March. So it is probably the right time to switch from version 1.2. (Unless you are very close to finishing translation, such as in two or three weeks -- then it could be better to first finish the 1.2 translation, and then switch.)

The switching would be like this: Send the translated files (completed or partial) to translation maintainer, and say that those are for 1.2, and that you would like those strings merged with 1.4 too. Then completely forget about version 1.2. Download the new development translation from http://gettext.wesnoth.org (select "Development", after the merge the translation should show that some strings are translated or "fuzzy") and continue translating that.

Doing the translation alone is not easy, but also not impossible. I was in similar situation with Slovak translation of version 1.0; luckily there are more translators now. Maybe it would be good to set some small goal -- for example to translate just the strings necessary for playing multiplayer game.

It is possible to test your translation without having to wait for the next release. (It is motivating to see how your translation progresses.) Your translating program should produce MO files (compiled PO files). You should put them to directory:
C:\Program Files\Wesnoth\po\ar\LC_MESSAGES
with the name corresponding to the package, such as wesnoth.mo or wesnoth-lib.mo. Then you have to start Wesnoth (if it already was running, you have to quit it and start again.

If Arabic is not in the menu of languages, just select "Default language of operating system", and if that will not help, set environment variable "LC_ALL" to value "ar".

Please do not hesitate sending unfinished translations sometimes. It is nice to see on the statistics page that someone is doing the translation. Also it is a backup in case your hard disk would crash. ;-)
Varkez

Post by Varkez »

Thank you Viliam For the Encouragement and for The Directions I really needed to know that..

Oh, I have read the Realease Plan But is V.1.4 going to be the last Version? in that case i wont be able to finish it Otherwise it is good :D (i heard about its String Freeze session and all but i just want to know wether or not its the last version)
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

Varkez wrote: Oh, I have read the Realease Plan But is V.1.4 going to be the last Version? in that case i wont be able to finish it Otherwise it is good :D (i heard about its String Freeze session and all but i just want to know wether or not its the last version)
No, 1.4 definitely will not be the last version. That is, unless certain scenarios will become true. One such scenario would be that 1.4 will be perfect. Not a single bug, and not a single feature request left, so there will be no reason for new releases and everyone could just go on playing with version 1.4 forever. Another scenario would be that all players and developers suddenly would lose interest in Wesnoth upon the release of 1.4 (maybe because it will have so many bugs that nobody wants to have anything to do with it).

But both seem rather unlikely to me :)