Combatting anti-social behavior on the mp serv

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Could a censor system be implemented? First of all, this would be purely voluntary.

Age of Empires III has what appears to be a very good implementation of this (GameData/data/prwordlist.xml, if someone else owns this game). At the beginning of the file, there is a table of equivalences, which prevents letter substitutions (e.g. "@" instead of "a"). Following this, there is a fairly exhaustive list of multilingual profanity, each vulgarity marked by a location code. Could an algorithm like this be feasibly (and legally) incorporated into Wesnoth? The translators could submit lists of profanity in their languages (by direct email to devs, of course), and a search algorithm could be run on messages on the server. The search would be done server-side, and the list of profanity would be hosted on the server. If a user has turned on the censor (which only applies to himself, not to anyone else), the server sends a censored version of the message to the user. Otherwise, the original message is sent.

This could possibly attract more children to Wesnoth as well, since profanity would be less of an issue. However, this filter should, IMO, be much less strict than the one in AOE. Also, the list should contain the verb stems of profanity in Romance languages, and the conjugated forms of irregular verbs.

Also, if I'm revealing too much of the AOE filter's workings, can a mod delete that information? I deliberately avoided quoting from the file for this reason.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

...So-called "vulgar" language should not even be an issue.
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Ultimatum479 wrote:...So-called "vulgar" language should not even be an issue.
With mature players, no. However, not everyone's mature, and there are children who play Wesnoth.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Said children shouldn'thave to care. A swear word is only vulgar because people put greater importance on it. Like saying heck instead of hell is supposed to be any better. Your still cursing them to go to said location either way, the meaning is the same so who cares what the bloody words are that were used to do it. People need to get off their high horses in that area, it doesn't make you any better that you took the time to use a substitution that means the same. An anti profanity system would probably just add more lag, like we really need that.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

MadMax wrote:Could a censor system be implemented? First of all, this would be purely voluntary.
We already have one. Ignore the people (mentally or via the friends/ignores list) you want. Then teach your kids to do that as well.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

zookeeper wrote:
MadMax wrote:Could a censor system be implemented? First of all, this would be purely voluntary.
We already have one. Ignore the people (mentally or via the friends/ignores list) you want. Then teach your kids to do that as well.
Not all parents play this game, and therefor, not everyone knows how to do that. Its like the /me trick, you have to learn from someone who has played a while. I kept annoying my friend till he told me, and the same went for /ignore. i think we should make it easier for new players to ignore. like up at the top, where create game and observe and join is, we could have a button that says ignore. click it and type players name or something like that. i don't know about in game though... maybe in file? anyway, thats what i think we should do.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

...There's a /help for a reason.

DEATH_is_undead

Why did my last message not get on? oh well...

/help, i don't even know how to use that. I've been playing for 2 years, and i learned everything by myself. How is a new player supposed to use it? Am i supposed to use /help for that? oh wait, i don't know how to use that.
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

The commands are rather obviously intuitive for the most part, and there's a wiki for the ones you can't figure out. /help should be the first thing you type, really. I don't see why it's hard to figure that one out. Figuring out the /msg shortcut for /whisper and the /me for /emote, etc, is just a matter of testing out some fairly obvious commands.

DEATH_is_undead

Ultimatum479 wrote:The commands are rather obviously intuitive for the most part, and there's a wiki for the ones you can't figure out. /help should be the first thing you type, really. I don't see why it's hard to figure that one out. Figuring out the /msg shortcut for /whisper and the /me for /emote, etc, is just a matter of testing out some fairly obvious commands.
this is sorta off topic, but what does /msg do? and /emote? i read the pages about it and still didn't see anything...
Sparta

Re: Combatting anti-social behavior on the mp serv

Post by Sparta »

Dave wrote:I think we should make it possible to register user names. Registration wouldn't be mandatory, but guests wouldn't be able to use registered names. This would stop people from impersonating each other. Also there'd be a reasonable limit on the number of names that could be registered from the same IP address.
Nonononono!! I disagree! It's fun to change name often,
sometimes you got a bad past, and everyone can see your name,
so they will remind themself from who u are and stuff.
You'll feel more free if you can change ur name. It's also boring
if you get the same name everytime. Sometimes you got to relief yourself from all the people that hate you by changing your name.
And maybe getting a new start. I hope this will NOT be implented. PLEASE!
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Sparta wrote:sometimes you got a bad past,
Perhaps you would think twice about creating a bad past for yourself, if you didn't have unlimited new identities?

And as per the PM, the signature must go. [edit]: thanks.
Last edited by Eleazar on May 12th, 2007, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Eleazar wrote:
Sparta wrote:sometimes you got a bad past,
Perhaps you would think twice about creating a bad past for yourself, if you didn't have unlimited new identities?
Exactly. The problem is that we don't want those jerks to get rid of their bad past and people "hating" (I'd rather say disliking) them because of their annoying behavior. To make the mp server a nicer place it is a necessity that a person's bad behavior actually has consequences since the lack of them is currently too often exploited.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
bert1

Post by bert1 »

Sparta wrote:
Dave wrote:I think we should make it possible to register user names. Registration wouldn't be mandatory, but guests wouldn't be able to use registered names. This would stop people from impersonating each other. Also there'd be a reasonable limit on the number of names that could be registered from the same IP address.
Nonononono!! I disagree! It's fun to change name often,
sometimes you got a bad past, and everyone can see your name,
so they will remind themself from who u are and stuff.
You'll feel more free if you can change ur name. It's also boring
if you get the same name everytime. Sometimes you got to relief yourself from all the people that hate you by changing your name.
And maybe getting a new start. I hope this will NOT be implented. PLEASE!
Registering nicknames wouldn't necessarily have to commit anyone to a name. It would just prevent someone's preferred name being pinched by someone else. You could still change your nickname as often as you liked. So those that want a persistent identity can have it without fear of impersonation, and those who want to shapeshift can also do so.
DEATH_is_undead

Baufo wrote:
Eleazar wrote: Perhaps you would think twice about creating a bad past for yourself, if you didn't have unlimited new identities?
Exactly. The problem is that we don't want those jerks to get rid of their bad past and people "hating" (I'd rather say disliking) them because of their annoying behavior. To make the mp server a nicer place it is a necessity that a person's bad behavior actually has consequences since the lack of them is currently too often exploited.
then make that happen! We don't need registered nicknames to do that... You'll never be able to stop them. As you can see, most of the poeple don't want registered nicknames. What are the benefits of registered nicknames? stoping the jerks. Disadvantages?People who are on only once in a while will not know what is happening.