Ug.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Ug.

Post by Doc Paterson »

That "Tournament Rules/Matchups, etc." post took forever to write, and now it's seemingly been lost. There's no backup for any of these things, is there?

I'll probably have to redo the whole epic post again, but I don't think I'll have time to do it today.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
unit12

Post by unit12 »

removed
Last edited by unit12 on May 10th, 2007, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

All I remember was looking at the person I was facing and thinking I have never seen this guy play before. I can't realy tell you anything else sorry.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Check your browser cache. It probably has the post still in it. (In fact, it might be in my own cache, since I know I viewed the page. I'll go check.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

turin wrote:Check your browser cache. It probably has the post still in it. (In fact, it might be in my own cache, since I know I viewed the page. I'll go check.)
I don't have it. If you do, and could PM it to me, I'd be eternally greatful.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Doc Paterson wrote:
turin wrote:Check your browser cache. It probably has the post still in it. (In fact, it might be in my own cache, since I know I viewed the page. I'll go check.)
I don't have it. If you do, and could PM it to me, I'd be eternally greatful.
Unfortunately, no. I guess I viewed 50MB worth of stuff in between viewing that post and reading this one. :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

turin wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote: I don't have it. If you do, and could PM it to me, I'd be eternally greatful.
Unfortunately, no. I guess I viewed 50MB worth of stuff in between viewing that post and reading this one. :?
I don't think php pages get cached. Opera doesn't.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

anyone remember the exact name of the thread?

google may have cached it

i can remember some of the matchups if u need help with that
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
WildPenguin

Post by WildPenguin »

Best I could find is here.

Even if not quite what you're looking for, it might still save some typing.

Hope that helps.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

Well, since you're retyping it, care to fix the maps? I've been looking at Den of Onis and it, err, sucks.
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Ultimatum479 wrote:I've been looking at Den of Onis and it, err, sucks.
err, thanks-

(You should, err, develope your understanding of the game a lot more before you decide what does or does not suck.)

If you want to make an argument for imbalance, go ahead and make it, preferably in the designated thread (The Multiplayer Map Reader's Digest).

And err, no, I don't care to "fix the maps."

Perhaps hating the map is some incentive to wipe your opponent out/be wiped out in two games, thereby avoiding game 3.
without your noses.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

I wasn't saying it sucks in terms of balance, necessarily, although there might be issues with that. It's just so horribly cramped that it's really not a fun map to play. *shrug*
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Strangly enough Den of Onis is one of my favorite maps because it is cramped in that specific way.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
BMintern

Post by BMintern »

The nice thing about the various maps is how different they all are. If every map was like Charge or Blitz, it wouldn't be fun.

I like that Silverhead Crossing and Den of Onis are part of the first round. Between those two and Charge, we have three very different maps, which all require subtly different playing styles to win on.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

For a long time Den of Onis was my favorite 1v1, and the way it is set up makes it bigger than it looks because movement is still needed to transfer forces.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle