Trolls

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

bert1 wrote:I was thinking that Trolls might harness their regeneration ability by cutting off the arms of young trolls, attaching wing shaped moulds to the stumps and then regrowing the arms as wings. A sort of bomber troll who drops rocks.
Best post of the month!

Well, it gets my vote for that position, anyway.
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

Eleazar wrote:HINT: if you want anyone to bother with your ideas around here, you must do your best to express them clearly and throughly, and usually be willing to do some of the work yourself.
Viliam Once wrote:This is an "idea" we sometimes receive:
Hi! I have a great idea! You should make a new Insect warrior faction. And a Unicorn faction too. And a campaign for them; and also another campaign based on Lord of the Rings. Archers should shoot multiple fields, and the game economy should be based on gold and wood (yes, I like Warcraft).
Which actually means:
Hi! I gave you an idea which took me 10 minutes to think (including registration on your forum and writing this post). I did not even care to elaborate my ideas... but if you give me another 10 minutes I can write you names of units in Insect faction... they will have the same functionality as in some existing faction, only with different pictures and more cool.

And what I expect from you? No less than hundreds of hours of professional work... making hundred pictures for all my units, writing a campaign script, coding and debugging scenarios, testing. Changing the basic game mechanism (which will require remaking all existing units and scenarios), writing the user interface, inventing an artificial intelligence for computer player.

Will I help you? Of course not! You are the developers... I just give you ideas, you are the ones who should work on them. I will return a few months later to check how far you have completed them.
Guess the response...

--

Now here are better examples:
Hi! I am writing a new campaign. I have made a map of first scenario in editor, now I am writing a scenario script. I would like to make my hero an Orcish Warrior, but he should have greater attack and 50 hit points. How can I do this?
Or:
This is a picture of Unicorn I have created. Feel free to use it in your campaign, if you like it.
Or:
I am working on a campaign, and I have already done 3 scenarios. You can download it here. The hero is an Orcish Warrior, but I would like to give him a different graphics... would someone please make it for me? He should be taller, in a blue cloak with diamonds.
Or:
I have made 5 new Insect warrior units. What do I need to do so that I can select them as a faction in multiplayer? How can I upload them to internet, so that others can try too?
Which means:
I have invested my time and energy in a project. You can use the results of my work, if you like them. Now I need some help to continue.
These are words of wisdom.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I second what Blademaster (and Viliam) said.

Elvish Vanquisher,

Personally, I don't think Trolls are a sufficiently well-rounded race to make a good faction, but don't let that stop you! If you disagree, feel free to prove me wrong by creating your own Troll faction.

Instructions on doing so can be found at:
* http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/BuildingFactions
* http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/BuildingUnits
* http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Create_Art
* http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Creating_Unit_Art
Elvish Vanquisher

Post by Elvish Vanquisher »

1. I am english and from England and i am still at high school so i this for u zookeeper, i am really sorry if my grammer is not 100% correct i will try to correct this.

2.Thanks for all the great ideas about the trolls!

3. What about Troll archers or spearmen because apart from the troll rocklobber and the troll shaman (in under the burning suns) the trolls have no ranged based unit.

4. i like the idea of troll slaves and medics.

5. The idea about a flying troll, i love it but i thnk that would more likely go in a age of myths not a troll era.

6. I was thinking about making a northan era which would include new dwarves, orcs and trolls and also make a campaign of how the trolls became allies with the orcs, can't say anymore about the campaign as someone might nick my idea. :)

7. I mean Game trolls not forum trolls, sorry if i caused offence. 8)
Elvish Vanquisher

scrape that i am up for a winged troll try to create a pic, would u so i know exactly what u mean
bert1

Post by bert1 »

Elvish Vanquisher wrote:scrape that i am up for a winged troll try to create a pic, would u so i know exactly what u mean
Yrch! You called my bluff. I might have a go at a pic if I can get my head round some pic-making software...
Elvish Vanquisher

use paint i'll give it a go too.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Elvish Vanquisher wrote:3. What about Troll archers or spearmen because apart from the troll rocklobber and the troll shaman (in under the burning suns) the trolls have no ranged based unit.
To me bows (and maybe spears) don't fit with the trolls. Why would a troll use such an elvish weapon (if he really manage to use it, which isn't obvious to me since they are a little undextrous) ?
Elvish Vanquisher wrote:6. I was thinking about making a northan era which would include new dwarves, orcs and trolls and also make a campaign of how the trolls became allies with the orcs, can't say anymore about the campaign as someone might nick my idea. :)
Maybe you'll find in the Extended Era a good starting point for your idea
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
tsr

Post by tsr »

Elvish Vanquisher wrote: 6. I was thinking about making a northan era which would include new dwarves, orcs and trolls and also make a campaign of how the trolls became allies with the orcs, can't say anymore about the campaign as someone might nick my idea. :)
That sounds grea, how about also including a group of nagas to explain how they too decided to join the northen forces?

As for ranged and non-impact damage, I'm thinking caves are cold, the north seems cold, so how about some snowy troll. Throwing icicles for pierce and snow/ice balls for cold :)

/tsr
Yogin

Some things need to be repeated.

Post by Yogin »

Elvish Vanquisher wrote:1. I am english and from England and i am still at high school so i this for u zookeeper, i am really sorry if my grammer is not 100% correct i will try to correct this.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

Elvish Vanquisher wrote:scrape that i am up for a winged troll try to create a pic, would u so i know exactly what u mean
bert1 wrote:I was thinking that Trolls might harness their regeneration ability by cutting off the arms of young trolls, attaching wing shaped moulds to the stumps and then regrowing the arms as wings. A sort of bomber troll who drops rocks.
Dude. Read the bold and jump off a really tall cliff.

bert1

Post by bert1 »

Ultimatum479 wrote:
Dude. Read the bold and jump off a really tall cliff.
Although I made a joke of it, I think a troll faction is a perfectly good idea. I've just had a go at making a pic in the GIMP. I've managed to make some splodges in a 75x75 pixel frame, but that's all so far.

The aerotroll skids in the mucky air
O'er unsullied fields of cattle
Lets slip his foetid ballast
From the ochre-sickened sky
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

The poor cattle...

I withdraw my vote for the post, then.

Elvish Vanquisher

well it is nice to know people are taking the idea seriosly. The person who suggersted the nagas good idea and snowy trolls. Do u want to make this era with me?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Now that this faction appears to actually be in the design stage, it no longer belongs in the Ideas forum. I'm moving it to the Faction and Era Contributions Forum.