Gold Per Village

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Free

Gold Per Village

Post by Free »

Recently I noticed something about Gold Per Village values.

If you recruit at least level 1 unit with 2 GPV settings, shouldn't you get 2 gold for every village you have each turn? I've always thought that this was the case...

I've noticed that if you do this you will actually get 3 GPV. If you don't recruit any level 1 units, you're villages are worth 2—like I thought it should be.

I decided to test GPV values with a 1vs1 Blitz game against myself. This just baffled me even more because the GPV began to shift somewhat randomly. I even had the first team step onto a village and find out that it was worth 1 gold for them. Then team 2 stole it two turns later and and found out it was worth 2 for them! What?

~Also, I've recently experienced receiving 102 starting gold for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. players.

I'm a little confused about this. I've played this game for over a year—Was the GPV always this way and I just never noticed? :oops:
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

It depends how many units you are maintaining. Units (except loyal units) cost a gold per level per turn to maintain. Each village contibutes one gold towards maintenance as well as actual income. If you have many troops and few villages, you will see your net income rise by GPV+1 because it reduces your maintenance costs by one as well as providing income. If you have few troops and many villages, taking a village will only raise your income by GPV because your villages are already fully maintaining your troops and the extra village cannot reduce maintenance costs below zero.

Hope this makes sense.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Another point- you start at +2 income
Free

Post by Free »

Okay, thanks. Now I understand a lot better. :)

But I still don't understand why in a game players would start with 102 gold. They get +2 income every other turn, but shouldn't they start with 100 gold? I have a 6P save game of this situation—I'm probably just being dumb again, though.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

The game host might accidentaly move starting gold slider a bit to the right, thus giving people 2gp more on start.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

Don't think that's possible, is it? I've only seen the starting gold settings work by 25s.

Yeah, villages lower your upkeep costs by one in addition to giving you GPV per turn.

Can you post that save game?
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
Free

Post by Free »

Okay, here it is. I created this game too, as I was just testing one of my new maps out, I noticed the strange starting gold. The side that the save starts on is side 4 and if you end turn, you can see that sides 5 and 6 have 102 as well. According the gold values of sides 2 and 3, they began with 102 also, but not side 1. :?
Attachments
Free's_Game.zip
(9.08 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Free

Post by Free »

Any ideas?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Calculating income is supposed to be a mathematical Gordian Knot; it's part of a secret plot to ward off the newbies. :wink:

To be honest I still don't understand the formula. It could be as you say, a bug, for all I know.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

Well, side 1 starts so they don't get the +2 gold, and then the other player's turns are treated like normal turns, so they get their gold income. Or at least that's what I think. I didn't look at the save.