How do you translate "Drake" in your translation t

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

How do you translate "Drake" in your translation t

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

As I'm working on Children of the Dragons, I've read Italians translated it by "Draco" which sounds great.
I can't find an equivalent of Drake that sounds french.
If you really hate stupid people, get a girlfriend.
wsultzbach

Post by wsultzbach »

Just look in the official translations.
What's this annoying thing that appears at the bottom of every one of my posts?
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

wsultzbach wrote:Just look in the official translations.
Ok. I had two choices:
- Looking at the official translations.
- Asking here in a forum made for translation discussions.

You could have answered me with two words, but you prefer to spend ten. I understand your answer.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

I also did not find any good translation in Slovak... so I used "Lizard". ;-)
kilder
Translator

Post by kilder »

Here in the Catalan translation we use Drac. I'm not particularly happy with it, but it hass became kind of a "stable" name now. Oh, wel! :(

As a side note, I think in the Spanish one they also use Draco

Hope it helps!
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

In the Swedish translation we use what would directly translate into "Dragon people". It's not very good, but there aren't any good alternative to dragon in Swedish...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Drake in German :p Well, pronounced differently, and the plural is Draken!
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

(Quick look at the game) 'Smok' (noun) or 'smoczy' (adjective) which translated back to english means "dragon". Polish doesn't have a word for drake as our myths don't really distinguish between them. If there happens to be something similar to drake it's called lesser dragon.
Varkez

Post by Varkez »

my language dosent have any myths for Dragons it was only translated to translate westren & Eastren Myths :wink: so we say in arabic "Tineen" (Means dragon) "Drake" might be "AlTineen alassghar" (smaller dragon) or "altineen aldhaeef" (Weaker Dragon) so you see some others have a harder time :cry: ....
"The Wheel Of Time Turns,And Ages Come and Go. What was,what is and what will be may yet fall under the shadow.
Let The Dragon Ride Again on the winds of time."
caslav.ilic
Translator

Post by caslav.ilic »

In my opinion, translating "drake" to an equivalent of "dragon" is quite bad. The Help texts are full of references to drakes possibly being related to "magnificent creatures of the times past", that dragons were. Hence, there is a need for clear demarcation between them.

Having said that, I just coined up the freekin' word -- it's fantasy, ain't it? :) "Dragon" in Serbian is "zmaj" (eng. pron. like "zmuy"), and I used "zmag" (pron. "zmug") for "drake", the last j/g being the difference. It retains the sound similarity between "drake" and "dragon", and is somewhat akin to its reverse, "gmaz", a Serbian archaic for "reptile" -- something low to the ground, which alludes to the not-so-magnificent nature of drakes (compared to dragons, of course).
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

English Spanish

Dragon = Dragón

Drake = Drake
(According to this website)
:roll:
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

caslav.ilic wrote: Having said that, I just coined up the freekin' word -- it's fantasy, ain't it? :) "Dragon" in Serbian is "zmaj" (eng. pron. like "zmuy"), and I used "zmag" (pron. "zmug") for "drake", the last j/g being the difference. It retains the sound similarity between "drake" and "dragon", and is somewhat akin to its reverse, "gmaz", a Serbian archaic for "reptile" -- something low to the ground, which alludes to the not-so-magnificent nature of drakes (compared to dragons, of course).
I quite agree , but you see there are some obvious difficulties in my language when taking this approach. In Polish there is no other word closely related to 'smok' that could preserve the meaning. And we cannot borrow from other slavic languages, as we usualy have those words in slightly changed form meaning something totaly different eg. :
Zmij - mythological dragon-god of tempest and winds
zmija - poisonus snake
zmijowy - snake (adj)
and so on

And besides, such translation was introduced in our language versions of fantasy books, making it even harder to come up with a word that doesn't sound odd to a native speaker.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Thanks everyone. We've choosed Dracan, Dracanne for the dev to come versions.
Oh, BTW, I didn't know that a Drake was a duck specie!
Zonzi

Post by Zonzi »

drake in Finnish would be "Lisko". like flame drake (tuli=fire/flame) "tuli lisko"
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

La_vie_en_Wose wrote:Thanks everyone. We've choosed Dracan, Dracanne for the dev to come versions.
Oh, BTW, I didn't know that a Drake was a duck specie!
Well, duck gender. ;)

Duck = female/male
Drake = male