Non-human/elves campaign

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

borsook

Non-human/elves campaign

Post by borsook »

I'm very much suprised that with all those factions that can be found in wesnoth all the main-line campaigns feature only those two as playable. Are there no good campaigns around that would give the player some variety?
Changeling

Post by Changeling »

:? Start from the top...
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Mind you, the factions are just unit groupings that make logical and balanced sets in multiplayer.

That being said, The Rise of Wesnoth features units from the Knalgan Alliance as playable characters and Under the Burning Sands features a set of units that does not appear in the Default multiplayer era.
Other main-line campaigns do not necessarily stick strictly to the faction groupings either (such as Heir to the Throne).

Keep in mind that (back in my day at least) mainline campaigns were chosen from the community on the basis of them being bug-free and complete, and not based on the notion of having a campaign for every faction.

I would encourage you to look on the Add-ons server and in the forums for campaigns that would better suit your preferences in units. I'm confident that you'll be able to find quite a few quality campaigns out there.

Good luck! :)
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Viliam
Translator

Re: Non-human/elves campaign

Post by Viliam »

borsook wrote:Are there no good campaigns around that would give the player some variety?
The campaigns featuring other factions (the "factions" in campaign have no necessary connection with multiplayer factions; but they often are similar) are... not good enough. Either they are unfinished, or they currently have no maintainer, or are generally considered of lesser quality.

If there is some good orcish or undead campaign, it would be nice if someone would volunteer for finishing and improving the storyline, fixing all bugs, etc. Unless someone volunteers for this, and does an impressive job, the problem remains.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Non-human/elves campaign

Post by turin »

Viliam wrote:
borsook wrote:Are there no good campaigns around that would give the player some variety?
The campaigns featuring other factions (the "factions" in campaign have no necessary connection with multiplayer factions; but they often are similar) are... not good enough. Either they are unfinished, or they currently have no maintainer, or are generally considered of lesser quality.

If there is some good orcish or undead campaign, it would be nice if someone would volunteer for finishing and improving the storyline, fixing all bugs, etc. Unless someone volunteers for this, and does an impressive job, the problem remains.
I'm wondering where you get this idea. :? I, for one, would rank several of the non-mainline campaigns, which happen to use races other than elves or wesnothians, above several mainline campaigns.

It isn't that "they are unfinished, or they currently have no maintainer, or are generally considered of lesser quality", it is just that the process for getting a campaign made mainline is very obscure, and unless a campaign has an ardent proponent inside the ranks of the devs, it is impossible for it to become mainline.

(BTW, I'm too lazy to be an "ardent proponent".)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
borsook

Post by borsook »

So Turin, from what you say one may gather there are such campaigns of good enough quality, but... could you give us, poor souls, specific examples?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

borsook wrote:So Turin, from what you say one may gather there are such campaigns of good enough quality, but... could you give us, poor souls, specific examples?
I personally like Sceptre of Fire and Liberty. I've also heard good things about Flight to Freedom, Legend of Wesmere, Northern Rebirth, and the new version of Son of the Black Eye...

(Note that I haven't played all of the above listed campaigns, but I have no doubt they are superior to at least some of the official campaigns - honestly, several of the official campaigns really aren't very good.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

I agree with Turin - some campaigns that don't figure in Mainline are very good too and can be sometimes even better than mainline campaigns.

For non Elves / Wesnothians, I enjoyed

Sceptre of Fire : Dwarves
Son of the Black Eye : Orcs
Liberty : Outlaws
(Northern Rebirth) : I haven't done that one because I don't like mass fights but for people who like these kinds of battles, it sounds like a great campaign
Descent into Darkness : Undead

A long time ago there used to be a Mainline campaign called "The Dark Hordes" too, but I think the project to restore the campaign was aborted for now.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

So... maybe it would be good to:
1) pick one good non-human/non-elf campaign (the one most people consider best)
2) ask volunteers to playtest it and report whatever complaints they have (against game balance or storyline)
3) fix all the reported problems

If you know the "Game of the Month" projects on the Linux Game Tome, then I am proposing the same thing about Wesnoth campaigns.