New Campaign: Warmaster

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Clonkinator

New Campaign: Warmaster

Post by Clonkinator »

Hello guys, there's a new campaign called "Warmaster" available at the campaign-server since a few days. Since I got a request to open a thread about it, well, here it is. :wink:

I'm doing my very best to make this a good campaign, and am experimenting with various things of the WML. I want this campaign to be special, and I am open for all ideas which could make this campaign better. So this thread is for discussing the campaign, for any ideas or wishes about it and for all kinds of critics.

By the way, in scenario 11 I was trying to place some death-traps that couldn't be triggered by flying units, but that didn't work. Can somebody help me?
bignall

Post by bignall »

I just played it the other day. Great job! I'm looking forward to more. Sorry, I don't know WML, so I can't help there.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Finally, the campaign is complete. Version 1.0 has been released one moment ago. Have fun!

Graphics-artist wanted. I would like to have custom graphics for Troy, for the final boss and for the temple-time-of-day. I already tried to make them myself, but they looked awfully. Does anybody want to do that? (The graphic for Troy should be somehow similar to his current graphic.)
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I should download 1.0
As you know, I played it before, but I want to see it finished.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

The Campaign went a lot easier this time then last time. Mostly because I knew what was coming. I didn't see any major changes.

The scenario that finally got me this time, like last time, was Descending into darkness. I got to turn 58 of 61, and I finally spotted the leaders, but I realized I couldn't get to them this time.

The problem with scenarios like this is, it is hard to win them the first time based on skill and planning ahead. It is easier to win them the second time based on knowing what is going on. So after playing the scenario for two hours, I realized that I would have to start all over again. Its a pretty big scenario, with lots of fairly tedious slow moving over cave terrain, so the idea of playing it again isn't all that appealing.

So I guess my problem with levels like this are that they aren't so much challenging as they are just tediously hard. Having to play it again is never fun.

I don't know how to fix it, because I think in some ways it works...but I do think it could be made a bit smaller.
fatquack

Post by fatquack »

I've been playing with it a bit, but every time I come to "Helping Elves" I can not recall any units. This is in a clean Wesnoth 1.2.2 install, the current stable version. Bug in the campaign or in Wesnoth??
Edujo

Post by Edujo »

I want to translate the campaign of Warmaster to the Spanish but nonprofit that takes the file .mo
I create the folder “/translations/es/LC_MESSAGES� and copy the file “wesnoth-Warmaster.mo� but it does not pass anything.
Could somebody indicate to me that to modify?
Associate archives .po and .mo
Attachments
Wesnoth-Warmaster_es-mo.zip
(6.86 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
Wesnoth-Warmaster_es-po.zip
(17.12 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

I had a go at the first scenario the other day, and whilst this story had potential, I feel this campaign is suffering from constructing scenarios too hastily and not spending enough time considering playability. It does get a bit frustrating after a while waiting for four sides to finish fighting in a battle that has little effect on your gameplay. (There is the option to skip animations, but ...) The other annoying thing is the ogre leader retreating to a village that can only be attacked from one hex, which I found made it near-impossible to defeat him without recruriting several horsemen to use as suicide missiles.

I did like the ogre's messages though.
Glowing Fish

Really incorrect

Post by Glowing Fish »

I become more and more disappointed by "Darkness Everywhere"
Partly because I find the first part of the scenario, where you have to hold a line against the waves of trolls, to be fairly absorbing.
But then afterwards, as you move down into the caves, there is just more and more stumbling in the dark, slowly moving troops over broken ground and fighting the same trolls over and over.

You know, long ago, I posted a comment that no one has ever said "oh yeah, my favorite level of the campaign is the one where you are underground, moving your troops slowly through chokepoints"

I've tried it twice, it is still tedious.
Edujo

Post by Edujo »

Write again because found the solution to the problem.
Added at the beginning of the configuration of the campaign, file Warmaster.cfg", the following thing.

[textdomain]
name="wesnoth-Warmaster"
path="data/campaigns/Warmaster/translations"
[/textdomain]
#textdomain wesnoth-Warmaster
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

it is nice but you should refine the text and maybe use slightly smaller maps
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Thanks for all your comments, I will try to implement most of the things you wanted.

But the thing with the cave scenario is a bit tricky. When playing it the first time, the turn limit of 61 for the cave scenario is pretty unbeatable, I know, but when playing it the second time it is so much that the player gets incredible amounts of gold. But I'll set the turn limit up nevertheless...

The text in the later scenarios might indeed be a bit senseless since I wanted to finish the campaign to be able to upload it the same day - you know, I can go online only Saturday. But I'll have a look at that also.

And the thing with the first scenario and the ogre... I know that the thing with the one-hex village is annoying. I'll probably remove the villages on that point or move them to somewhere else.

The campaign over all might still be pretty unbalanced, and I'll still have to play around with starting gold / income a lot. But remember this, the campaign is designed to be HARD (although it might be a bit TOO hard right now...). However, I'll do my best.

The battle between humans and orcs in the first scenario does indeed have little effect on gameplay, but it's part of the story. I don't want to change really much on that point. But I'll perhaps make it more important for the player to see the humans winning the battle... We'll see.

Thanks for your effort with the spanish translation, but I don't know how to implement it. If somebody tells me how to implement it I'll surely welcome it.

The thing with vanished the recall-list is strange. My friend told me that this happened to him too, and also at "Helping Elves". But it works fine for me and I don't know where there should be a bug. I'm afraid I can't help you with that...

And by the way I'm happy with the size of the maps. It just sucks if there are no enemies to fight for douzens of turns. Will change the enemy-amount.

Graphics for Troy and co. and translations are still very welcome.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Version 1.1 has been released. I hope it's better now. Have fun playing it and keep posting suggestions how to make the campaign better! :wink:

You find the changes done at the campaign in the changelog.
fatquack

Post by fatquack »

OK, just tried it again, Wesnoth 1.2.3 and campaign version 1.1 and I still have no recall in Helping Elves. I've attached the savefile.
Attachments
Helping_Elves.zip
(9.24 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

So I have got to the inside of the Temple.

And it is insanely hard, impossible even, but that seems to be just because I don't have any money, besides the 140 I start with.

How much money should I start the scenario with?