Wesnoth 1.2.2 crushing at startup

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Shakiko

Wesnoth 1.2.2 crushing at startup

Post by Shakiko »

Well, been playing Wesnoth for so long now (0.8x) and never encountered any problems so far - but after upgrading from 1.2.1 (changed PC though) to 1.2.2 Wesnoth crashes everytime i try to run it.
Always include at least the following:
1. The name and version of your Operating System (OS).
windows 2000 SP4 engl.
gfx drivers: nvidia 97.28
2. The version number of Wesnoth you are trying to run
see above, 1.2.2
used the downloadable Windows-version (i.e: no compiling from me)
3. How to reproduce the problem step by step. If the problem can't be reproduced it will severly limit the chance we will able to identify and fix the problem.
Sorry that i can't help that much, but right after installing Wesnoth and starting it, it just crashes. Kinda not much to reproduce, eh ? :oops:

I already tried not to copy&paste my old savegames from 1.2.1 into the 1.2.2 folders, so there is nothing left of an older version of Wesnoth. (Even formatted the partition it is installed on to make sure this is not the problem)

I got 2 questions/suggestions though:
I got a new dual core processor (wesnoth worked great on my old one) - any chance this might mess Wesnoth up ?

I also changed my gfx card - new one is an 8800, thus dx10 - perhaps that messes up ? (no clue about compatibility, I'm a doctor, not a programmer (tm) - but every other dx9 game works great so far)

stderr.txt reads:
Battle for Wesnoth v1.2.2
Started on Fri Mar 02 04:54:25 2007
started game: 21

Thanks for any comments/ideas to solve the the problem and goodluck fixing it in case it's a coding problem.

Best regards,
Shakiko

[Edit#1]
PS: The editor crashes, too, at startup.

[Edit#2]
PPS: Got the same problem with v1.3.1. , too, thus I guess it's my system. Any ideas ?
Sadly I don't have a backup of the older wenoth versions to check them out =/

[Edit #3]
I got an old version (1.2) from a friend - Wesnoth runs snoothly with this old build on my computer...
I kinda guess something in coding must have changed from 1.2 to 1.2.2/1.3.1 causing the incompatibilities ?
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Thanks for the verbose bug report :) could you retest with Wesnoth 1.2.1 which can be downloaded here http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=89495 ?

I don't run Windows so can't be of much help :( but IIRC the Windows packager switched to a newer SDL library version for 1.2.2 and 1.3.1. (The SDL libraries are doing the drawing stuff.)
Shakiko

Post by Shakiko »

Thanks for the url to Wesnoth 1.2.1

Just finished installing 1.2.1 and its working...

Thus 1.2 and 1.2.1 are working, 1.2.2 isn't.

I hope pinpointing this out to the exact version number helps you guys to find some possible problems. :)

If I can help you in any other way, please tell me.

Best regards,
Shakiko

PS: Or is it supposed that I search for this newer SDL library and update my system ? *is clueless*
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Well, that really sounds like a DLL problem (and no, you don't have to download something to fix that). Release 1.2.2 as well as 1.3.1 are the first to be delivered with newer versions of supporting DLL's. What you could try is this:

Copy the DLL's of your 1.2.2 installation to a place where you will find them again later :wink: .
Take your wesnoth 1.2.1 installation and copy every DLL in it to 1.2.2
If Wesnoth is running now, you have confirmed that it is a DLL problem.
Substitute those DLL's one by one with the newer versions you saved before and see which one is causing the problems by starting wesnoth every time you did so.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Shakiko

Post by Shakiko »

Done.

I located and replaced each .dll in the Wesnoth main folder (v121) one by one with the corresponding .dll of v122 and started Wesnoth after each replacement.

Using the new "SDL.dll" (v.122) seems to be the problem - Wesnoth only crashed when I substituted this .dll. All other replacements worked fine (i.e. it loads the title screen, while with this new SDL.dll I get the error described in the first post)

SDL_mixer.dll (v122)and SDL_image.dll(v122) both refer to the SDL.dll and do complain that some sort of "SD_error"-jump-in-point is missing in the SDL.dll (v121). But I suppose this is expected to happen when a .dll of newer date refers to one of older date.

Substituting every other .dll worked fine and resulted in the title screen being loaded succesfully.
RCG Tiburon

Post by RCG Tiburon »

yay, the way you should get tech support. :)
Shakiko

Post by Shakiko »

Would be great if anyone would have a solution to this "great tech support", too :lol:

(Or at least a hint that anyone is working on it anymore, please ?)

Best regards,
Shakiko
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Shakiko wrote:Would be great if anyone would have a solution to this "great tech support", too :lol:

(Or at least a hint that anyone is working on it anymore, please ?)

Best regards,
Shakiko
Well, i would do something about it, the problem is just: I have no idea where to start! The error doesn't ring a bell anywhere and i can't reproduce it on my system. I will see if some people that know more about SDL than me can help me.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Shakiko

Post by Shakiko »

Thanks alot for trying to find something though !

Knowing that someone is working on it really helps to shorten the waiting time :)

Thanks alot for the workaround in 1.23, too.

I sincerely hope you guys find the source of the problem really soon !