Names of magi (brainstorming)

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I'm not necessarily advocating these ideas, I just thought I'd throw them out there:

Code: Select all

-> Trismegistus
Mage -> Fire Mage -> Wizard -> Master Wizard
     -> Mystic -> Thaumaturge
If you like them, feel free to use them.

"Trismegistus" is from "Hermes Trismegistus," who according to Medieval legend was the founder of a school of magic. Since Hermes was the messenger of the gods in Greek myth, it seemed like an appropriate name for the mage who could warp from village to village.

"Thaumaturge" is from Greek "thaumaturgos," which means "wonder-worker."
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

Aisling Morrighan wrote:
Konrad II wrote:I really never would have imagined a monk casting spells at their enemies, using a staff, instead of punching them up :D .
Really?
I'm not sure for Wizard, because I am not sure about what this word really means.
'Wizard' originates from the Middle English 'wys-ard', meaning 'a wise person' (the suffix '-ard' is also seen in, for example, 'drunkard').

Incidentally, 'Mage' and the more traditional 'Magician' are derived from the Persian 'Magus' and possibly the Latin 'Magister' (meaning 'master').

Bah, I gotta use Wikipedia more often.

So, for wizard vs mage, they are pretty much the same but according to the origins you gave, a 'mage' would be higher in hierarchy than a 'wizard'? So it's incorrect to put mage before wizard, right?
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
Aisling Morrighan

Post by Aisling Morrighan »

Most probably, but not necessarily - it depends partly on their Order/Temple/School/Whatever's view of the world and their teaching methods.

Power can be (and, sadly, usually is) obtained long before the understanding of how it should be used...
If 'wise' is taken to mean 'knowing how to cast spells', then yes, a Wizard is probably less experienced than a Magician (who has 'mastered' his art). If, on the other hand, 'wise' means 'knowing when not to cast spells', this knowledge might not be obtained until long after it is needed - 'mastery' (= control = power) could be the very first thing that a young Magician learns, but then he must spend a decade learning to use it responsibly before being allowed to cast spells unsupervised.

Less sensibly, personally I think 'wizard' sounds like a higher level than 'magician' or 'mage'.
Codail faoi shíocháin, a chroí.
Eitil go Tir na n'Og.
Cronaim tusa, Fiach Dubh.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I personally think wizard is best left as a term for anyone who specializes in magic, kind of like how WCs and Soullesses are both zombies.

Isn't Delfador referred to as a wizard in HttT? I seem to think that but I can't remember.
Leo

Post by Leo »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Mystic
I like this, especially if holy damage will be renamed to mystic damage.
So my proposal is changing to:

Apprentice -> Mage -> Master Mage -> ArchMage
                             -> Silver Mage
                -> Mystic -> Master Mystic
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Wesnoth Magi are not Mystics. Mystics are more intuitive and spiritual. Wesnoth Magi are more like Ceremonial Magicians or proto-scientists.

As such, I wouldn't be opposed to latin names.

eg.
Magi
-> Ignis Magus
->->Argentum Magus
->->Maior Magus
->->->Dominus Magus
-> Vita Magus (or Niveus Magus)
->-> Lucis Magus
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Concerning the Latin names... I think the adjective would go last, not first, also we should take care to get the conjugations right. If it's not an adjective, and a noun in genitive case, it'd be behind the main noun, too - i.e. "Magus Ignis". But my latin days are long past, so someone with surer footing might want to look into it.

Apart from that, I believe the fire-throwing thing was something of a spin-off from the Red Mages' main interests anyway, not something they specialized in doing.

And lastly, I rather liked the Mystic-Thaumaturge thing, especially since I was wondering what "thauma" meant just the other day - thanks, Temuchin! The *main* branch of mages (red mage, great-mage, arch-mage) is the one doing things in the scholarly, magic-as-science way... the white mages may well have a different philosophy concerning their methods as well as their ends.
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

We should leave the White mage's idea atm probably, as we don't know how holy will be called later on, and so we don't know what the new name should be related to.

Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Konrad II wrote:We should leave the White mage's idea atm probably, as we don't know how holy will be called later on, and so we don't know what the new name should be related to.
i havent found any reason to suspect it wont be called "holy" in the future. only it will change from damage type to ability.
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

What? Damage type to ability? What? :P

I have found reasons... I've never seen ghosts using holy magic to kill drakes and elves, or even other ghosts or undeads, really.

Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

umh, maybe i remember wrong. i aint sure anymore.

btw Thaumaturge sounds like Traumaturge (or something like that, you know the doctors who cure traumas)
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

irrevenant wrote:As such, I wouldn't be opposed to latin names.
Nor would I, but ozymandias is right about the adjective coming after the noun in normal Latin word order.

-> Magus Argenti
Magus -> Magus Igni -> Magus Maior -> Magus Maximus
      -> Magus Nivale -> Magus Lucis
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Arcane might be a useful word somewhere in there. As well as words such as elder, high priest, Sorcerer
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I think it is better if we have, when possible, names that would be meaningful for everyone, even people 12 year-old kids.
Thus, names like that should be avoided :

-> Magus Argenti
Magus -> Magus Igni -> Magus Maior -> Magus Maximus
      -> Magus Nivale -> Magus Lucis
Btw i think most of the current mages names are ok, we don't need to change them.
I think there is only on issue with the "Red mage", and it would make sense to make the "Archmage" be the level 4, and we could as well change the level 3 between these level 2 and level 4.
I would vote for something like (not sure for the level 2):

Mage -> Fire mage -> Master mage -> Archmage
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I think that that works...
Personaly I like the word wizard better than mage. It always seemed to be a more powerful word.