More popular placed linux downloads

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MadOssor

More popular placed linux downloads

Post by MadOssor »

Hi,

on the Wesnoth entry page there are direct links for downloads
to the windows version and the macOS X version.

Linux downloads are more than 3 clicks away on the "Linux binary page".

While I understand that there are so many flavours of Linux, and not all of them are always at the current version, I suggest to check out which ones are usually at the current version and whose packagers are reacting fast, and place those packages on the entry page too.

If I'm not on vacation, my builds for openSUSE are pretty accurate and in time, and I think the debian packages are provided very fast too.

The links on the entry page could link directly to the download section of the linux binary page, in case of openSUSE that would be:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothBina ... F_OpenSUSE

Greetings,
Holger
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

It's very simple, we encourage Linux users to use the source download. :D
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

And most linuxusers will use their package managers anyway. Eg the dbian and the gentoo package are directly added in there. Most user probably just try to update their version and directly will get it. Often no real need to directly put it on the frontpage.
From now on I will at least mention (with links) the packages that are already completed and available at the time of the announcement in the respective forum thread.
MadOssor

Post by MadOssor »

ivanovic wrote:And most linuxusers will use their package managers anyway. Eg the dbian and the gentoo package are directly added in there. Most user probably just try to update their version and directly will get it. Often no real need to directly put it on the frontpage.
From now on I will at least mention (with links) the packages that are already completed and available at the time of the announcement in the respective forum thread.
Yes. You are right when you speak of package managers and the download channels for distributions. And yes, it makes no real sense to link single Binaries in that case. I was just wondering because I've immediately got the feeling that Wesnoth is a Win/MacOS only game when looking at the front page the first moments. It was like "Ah yes, I can click on 'and more' to see some of the underground systems they also provide binaries for".

But yes, I understand that it makes no real sense to link single RPM's or debs there.

Holger