Portraits for Northern Rebirth

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Yeah, she does look a bit small in your edit. If you wouldn't mind...
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I think it looks slightly silly to have an opening like that in the middle of her vest/top/whatever (I can't really figure out what she's wearing exactly), and it would look better to simply keep it closed.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

zookeeper wrote:I think it looks slightly silly to have an opening like that in the middle of her vest/top/whatever (I can't really figure out what she's wearing exactly), and it would look better to simply keep it closed.
You have never seen a girl with an oppening in her shirt like that before? I have, and I think it looks kinna good.

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Taurus wrote:You have never seen a girl with an oppening in her shirt like that before? I have, and I think it looks kinna good.
I'm not sure if I have, but I'm pretty sure I'd find it mostly ridiculous-looking if I did. :(
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

zookeeper wrote:
Taurus wrote:You have never seen a girl with an oppening in her shirt like that before? I have, and I think it looks kinna good.
I'm not sure if I have, but I'm pretty sure I'd find it mostly ridiculous-looking if I did. :(
I'm having trouble finding a precise example, but this is pretty close: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/babybraz ... ck-F-L.jpg

It looks pretty good to me. ;)

Re: Sisal I'm a bit more concerned about that opening that looks like it goes all the way down to her crotch. :? I don't know how that will work when she's coloured.

P.S. Taurus, I'll have a go at making the requested changes later today.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

irrevenant wrote: I'm having trouble finding a precise example, but this is pretty close: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/babybraz ... ck-F-L.jpg

I aggree :-)
Re: Sisal I'm a bit more concerned about that opening that looks like it goes all the way down to her crotch. :? I don't know how that will work when she's coloured.
Well, I would imagine that she would be wearing something underneeth...

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

irrevenant wrote:I'm having trouble finding a precise example, but this is pretty close: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/babybraz ... ck-F-L.jpg

Looks like the only purpose of that is to show the boobs, which, IMO, just makes it look cheap and the wearer appear somewhat half-witted. Just for the record, I also find most wide necklines silly-looking as well, as their only purpose as well seems to be just to show more skin. Of course, this is a bit off-topic, and I actually haven't got interest in meddling with these things so feel free to ignore my non-standard views, since I don't really care about this myself.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

xandars design shouldn't be discussed again...

re: the crotch... I imagine that it is a system where the leather is one piece, but is tightened via the strings that you see. Behind them is the exact smae cloth as to the side, pulled in like that to keep the pants tight around the waist. Very simple, and not something to be bickering over.

anywho, a *slightly* better edit of the shirt

and don't look to me for coloring...I'm nowhere good enough to reach a level anything near Jetryl's yet :)
Attachments
cart2_edit.png
cart2_edit.png (42.53 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Thrawn wrote:Xandars design shouldn't be discussed again...
Please explain? If the picture's not here to be discussed and improved upon why's it in an open discussion forum?
Thrawn wrote:re: the crotch... I imagine that it is a system where the leather is one piece, but is tightened via the strings that you see. Behind them is the exact smae cloth as to the side, pulled in like that to keep the pants tight around the waist. Very simple, and not something to be bickering over.
I wasn't bickering. If that's not flesh behind the opening then there's no problem.
zookeeper wrote:Looks like the only purpose of that is to show the boobs, which, IMO, just makes it look cheap and the wearer appear somewhat half-witted. Just for the record, I also find most wide necklines silly-looking as well, as their only purpose as well seems to be just to show more skin. Of course, this is a bit off-topic, and I actually haven't got interest in meddling with these things so feel free to ignore my non-standard views, since I don't really care about this myself.
You're entitled to your view, but it is non-standard. More to the point we're talking about a historical setting (and an alternate one at that) where modern standards of dress don't apply. Fashion is ultimately whim and, almost without fail, it will look stupid once you step outside the culture of the day.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

irrevenant wrote:
Thrawn wrote:Xandars design shouldn't be discussed again...
Please explain? If the picture's not here to be discussed and improved upon why's it in an open discussion forum?
because Taurus wants it colored. We've ha a discussion about it before, and it was rather pointless.
Thrawn wrote:re: the crotch... I imagine that it is a system where the leather is one piece, but is tightened via the strings that you see. Behind them is the exact smae cloth as to the side, pulled in like that to keep the pants tight around the waist. Very simple, and not something to be bickering over.
I wasn't bickering. If that's not flesh behind the opening then there's no problem.
I wasn't referring specifically to you, just warning people to not revive an old discussion.

sorry to sound argumentative and accusatory, Irrevenent
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thanks for the edit Thrawn. I'll add it to the next version :-)

About the discussion, I don't mind the portraits being discussed. Anything that helps improve them is good. But yes, in this case I aggree with you that to cary on this discussion is pointless. So let's end it there.

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Thrawn wrote:xandars design shouldn't be discussed again...

re: the crotch... I imagine that it is a system where the leather is one piece, but is tightened via the strings that you see. Behind them is the exact smae cloth as to the side, pulled in like that to keep the pants tight around the waist. Very simple, and not something to be bickering over.

anywho, a *slightly* better edit of the shirt

and don't look to me for coloring...I'm nowhere good enough to reach a level anything near Jetryl's yet :)
That's a good edit - I think you should carefully pass over the edited regions with the "sharpen" tool to remove the slight bits of blurriness. Be careful - it's a quite delicate job, and it's easy to overdo. (I'm saying this in spite of the obvious fact that you can undo things).

Also, I agree with the assessment of the crotch area.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

@Jetryl, thanks.
Using the sharpen tool is annoying. I had to play with it forever just to see exactly what was happening, but after that it became a tad easier. I think I may have over sharpened some, but I also cleaned up some lines and resoftened the worst parts.

@Taurus/anyone with good taste: is this a good color scheme for the main person. IMO it is, but it may appear to "elvish" or something to others. Not shaded (I'll be using it to practice emulating Jetryl's other portraits, as well as put some ART261 knowledge into play), but I want to know it the colors are decent. I have a complete one, but have the cropped one to save space/ show what will be in the actual profile
Attachments
quick fix
quick fix
ta-small.png (241.7 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
cart2_edit.png
cart2_edit.png (42.34 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
Last edited by Thrawn on February 14th, 2007, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The green seems a bit bright (combined with the staff(?) on his back, it makes him look like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, actually), but the color scheme is fine.

Regarding the specific coloring; it seems strange to me that his right hand is not shown. He is crossing his arms, right? So why is the region where his right hand would be colored black? It seems to me that it should be either metallic or flesh-colored.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

turin wrote:The green seems a bit bright (combined with the staff(?) on his back, it makes him look like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, actually), but the color scheme is fine.

Regarding the specific coloring; it seems strange to me that his right hand is not shown. He is crossing his arms, right? So why is the region where his right hand would be colored black? It seems to me that it should be either metallic or flesh-colored.
*yeah...it's a leather-bound sword hilt, I think, and I wanted it to be dark leather: the green may need to be less saturated.
*Um, I can't do anything with that other hand...Xandar colored that area solid black, so...I think the point is that it is tucked under the arm and slightly hidden by the cloak, thus putting the remaining visible part in shadow, but not sure.