Portraits for Northern Rebirth

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Gus

Post by Gus »

So, hoping this stays on topic: i _believe_ (only my opinion) that the way he's holding the axe is too close to the blade. Others seem to think it's perfectly right, though.

In any case, i find this a great portrait =)
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
battlesquid

Post by battlesquid »

So, any comments about the colors?
Don't fear the pixels...
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

The axe color looks a little bluish to me (I'm also colorblind.), and the color down the haft looks a little too uniform. Are you going to leave the entire haft metal, or will it be made wood?

Everything else looks fine to my untrained eye.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
battlesquid

Post by battlesquid »

Glad you like it. The axe is supposed to be all metal, haft and blade, though I haven't thought about it much. Yes the axe has a bluish tone (shading will make it look much better) in order to make it look like metal (as opposed to, say, stone)
Don't fear the pixels...
battlesquid

Post by battlesquid »

Phew, that was a lot of work - here's Hamel finally shaded!

Note: The image is 2.1 MB and not sized down from my working size ... Therefore I have only posted a few snippets here. Go to my site to view the full picture.
Some details could probably be omitted when downscaling the image, and the gold plate on the axe doesn't look shiny enough, except from that I'm happy with the resulting image.

Let me know what you think :wink:

http://xenon.dnsdojo.net:81/artwork/hamel_v1.png
Attachments
hamel_v1_cone.png
hamel_v1_cone.png (12.26 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
hamel_v1_eye.png
hamel_v1_eye.png (8.15 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
hamel_v1_hand.png
hamel_v1_hand.png (23.92 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
hamel_v1_horn.png
hamel_v1_horn.png (14.97 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
Don't fear the pixels...
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Nice shading, squid, looking forward to seeing how the whole thing would look like in the end. :)
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Here is a smaller resoloution version of battlesquid's final version. I took the liberty of changing the background to black if you don't mind Battlesquid.

Overall, I think it is a pretty good image, and I am sure everyone will aggree that Battlesquid has inproved alot since his first posts. I'll include this image in my next release wich will come out as soon as my high speed is back online :x

If I could reccomend any improvements however, I think that the shading/coloring could use some work. I can't quite put it in words, but the coloring doesen't quite compare to the other Northern Rebirth Portraits. For refrence, I am uploading the Anita portrait. Can any of you pro artists explain it in words because I certanly can't...
Attachments
Hamel.jpg
Hamel.jpg (47.88 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
Anita.jpg
Anita.jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

It's a difference in style, squid's is cell shaded, and Jetryl's one (Anita) is painted.

There are probably other things, but they are harder to make out when two different styles are used. One thing that you can notice about battlesquid's is that it is very flat, there should be more shadows in order to add depth to it. It probably wouldn't hurt to make the shadows darker too.
battlesquid

Post by battlesquid »

Taurus, please use this instead.

Pretty much the same cropping, size and compression ratio, but the background is added properly. Which is important because if you just fill the area with black you get those ugly edges...
Attachments
Ready
Ready
hamel.jpeg (54.82 KiB) Viewed 3829 times
Don't fear the pixels...
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Taurus wrote:If I could reccomend any improvements however, I think that the shading/coloring could use some work. I can't quite put it in words, but the coloring doesen't quite compare to the other Northern Rebirth Portraits. For refrence, I am uploading the Anita portrait. Can any of you pro artists explain it in words because I certanly can't...
I'm afraid I'm no pro, and I can't explain squat in words, but in case Jet or the other guys are busy or not particularly inclined to do the job, here's an edit of mine.

Please refrain from any comments on the line of "you should fix this" or "you missed that", because this is as far as I'm willing to go, I won't hijack the thread, take the edit as reference or leave it (or hack it, or whatever, it's yours, I'm just not touching it anymore).

By the way, adding painting-like shadows and textures over a picture that has already been colored and given shadows in a completely different style is, in general, a *terrible idea*. I just went at it for fun and practice because Battlesquid's dwarf looked darn good and appropriate, but don't try this at home kids.
Attachments
hamel_edited.png
hamel_edited.png (278 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Gus

Post by Gus »

I'm not an artist, so don't expect technical feedback.

Redeth's edit is fricking awesome. Maybe a tad bit too dark, but it might be because of the background.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Nice! Thanks Redeth. It definatly suits the style of the other Northern Rebirth Portraits better. I have already released 1.17 with Battlesquid's portrait so I'll use that for now. However, if Battlesquid doesen't mind, I would rather use Redeth's portrait in the next release.

I have a request for you Redeth, back on page 8, Xandar had done some really good portraits that just need some color. If you could paint them in as you have done Hamel it would be great! If you don't feel like clicking back, here is the link:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=105

Jetryl originally said he would do them, but I haven't heard back from him. Perhaps he is all bogged up in the mainline stuff.[/url]

battlesquid

Post by battlesquid »

I partially like the edit, the style is as mentioned more fitting to the campaign. However it is a bit crude. The shadows look spotty and his face looks dirty. The shadow on his right horn base is sloppy and same goes with the highlights on the helmet itself. The shirt looks good. The braids look very good, as does his arms. Around the cone of his axe there are sloppy things; the cone has been partially cut off, the highlight bleeds into the background, but not in a manner that a shine would.

I generally like the idea that this be done to the portrait and it be added to the campaign in a later version, but the above should be fixed first as it has serious mistakes in my opinion. I have no experience with this kind of shading, so I'm unable to make the changes myself.
Don't fear the pixels...
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Here is a modest attempt to add some more cloths to Sisal. Now that I look at it the next day, I don't think it is too bad. Anyhow I think it's good enough for me to use. Any comments?
Attachments
Sisal.png
Sisal.png (89.44 KiB) Viewed 3495 times

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

It looks a bit bumpy around the right breast (where the clothing has been edited in) to me.

[EDIT]
I've edited it a bit. I also added a couple of lines to suggest the undercurve of her breasts. I wasn't entirely sure what breast shape was being aimed for - I can easily make her fuller if that's what you're aiming for.
Attachments
sisal_151-tweaked.png
sisal_151-tweaked.png (96.74 KiB) Viewed 3436 times