Under the Burning Sun While Running From Rivers

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lutherous

Under the Burning Sun While Running From Rivers

Post by Lutherous »

I've been playing the Under the Burning Sun on hard mode. I joined up with the trolls in the caves and managed to kill the dwarf leader and now am on the mission "Out of the Frying Pan"

For the life of me I simply can't beat this level. What happens is that I can't churn out enough units or enough of the right units and we get bogged down and the waters catch up. I've tried using my saves to cheat but I can't seem to kill my enemies fast enough for my soldiers to escape the rising waters.

What should I do?
Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

Recall your hardest-hitting units (one or, at most, two turns' worth only), then run for your life.

Don't worry about fighting when you don't need to, just break through the enemy and keep on running.
I don't exist when you don't see me...
I don't exist when you're not here.

You bought a mask - I put it on.
You never thought to ask me if I wear it when you're gone.
Imp

Post by Imp »

Out of the Frying Pan makes UtBS notorious for being impossible to finish under anything but the easiest difficulty unless you do a lot of save scumming.

If Inigo's suggestion does not work for you (this trick certainly didn't help me since the enemy leader got so many soldiers to kill your guys and to surround himself), you can tinker with the WML for the scenario (we'll forgive you for this one) or just start over on "Normal" (Easy) - which is actually incredibly easy compared to what you've been through. However, if you tinker with the WML, I think you may need to restart this mission - I'm not sure if the save after you finished the last mission counts (the one that deletes all autosaves), or if you need to go back to the last mission (preferably a save near the end) and finish it for this to work. Perhaps somebody can help out.

It would be a shame to make you play through the entire game again - since you're so close to the end - because the difficulty you're playing on is unbalanced to impossible.

You can probably tell I replayed it on the "Normal" difficulty - which is so incredibly easy, you'll probably blitz through it like I did.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I agree that this scenario can be ridiculously luck-based and annoying. There's a real chance of running into negative gold before getting out of the cave, too, depending on what you recruit in the beginning.

I'd suggest using the debug mode to create a few extra units for yourself either to get through the caves quickly or to beat up the enemies you encounter outside, and in the next scenario simply dismiss those units from your recall list.
Lutherous

Post by Lutherous »

The only cheats I know is how just reloading saves so I can make sure that my units kill the first time around. What's debug and WML mode?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CommandMode

So, just type :debug<enter> while playing to activate debug mode. Then you can for example spawn new units via right-click.
ThisGameRocks

Post by ThisGameRocks »

Here's what I do:

(I asume all the 4 units have reached their max. level)

You start with 4 units: leader, troll, shyde, and the Nym. Recruit one desert fighter or desert hunter. On turn one you should be able to kill two dwarf. The recruited unit will act as a distraction. Next you will find some ants. I think you should be able to solve them. The next part is tricky: 3 human units. You need to place your troll just before the "activation point" for the human unit to come out. It will be something like this when they come out. (Through trial and error you should be able to find the activation point.)

*Note: The troll should be in the Shyde position. I have deleted all except for turn 1 and the the turn i completed the game on. I did a quick play just now to show you the position. I started off with 100 gold. The game difficulty setting is hard.

Whether you want to kill them is up to you or if you want to let them fight with the undead.

Your information is pretty vague when refering to enemies. So, I stop here for now.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

ThisGameRocks wrote:You need to place your troll just before the "activation point" for the human unit to come out. It will be something like this when they come out. (Through trial and error you should be able to find the activation point.)
That much for having fun playing, I suppose. :|
ThisGameRocks

Post by ThisGameRocks »

zookeeper wrote:
ThisGameRocks wrote:You need to place your troll just before the "activation point" for the human unit to come out. It will be something like this when they come out. (Through trial and error you should be able to find the activation point.)
That much for having fun playing, I suppose. :|
I don't understand? :)
It took me about 2 turns to discover it (by luck)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

ThisGameRocks wrote:
zookeeper wrote: That much for having fun playing, I suppose. :|
I don't understand? :)
It took me about 2 turns to discover it (by luck)
Spending two hours yanking units back and forth and wearing out the save and load buttons to find the correct hex to put a unit on and have enough luck to not die, all in order to get forward in the scenario, is not my idea of fun. It's not playing, it's just yanking. If you like simple semi-brainless yanking, then it's of course fine.
ThisGameRocks

Post by ThisGameRocks »

Two hours? I guess I didn't explain it well. Leave it at that then.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

ThisGameRocks wrote:Two hours? I guess I didn't explain it well. Leave it at that then.
Errh, ok, two turns. It seems I misread it as "hours". :P Anyway, luckily that doesn't change my opinion about the issue.
Imp

Post by Imp »

Don't recruit anybody when escaping from the cave. That should save you a lot of money, and it's still incredibly easy to escape. Assuming everybody is lvl 3, those loyalists shouldn't be too much of a problem either.