WC, variations and recruitment.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Tomsik

WC, variations and recruitment.

Post by Tomsik »

Idea: when you recruit a WC make it create random WC variation instead of base WC.

Why:
- Walking corpses have many nice variations, but they're rarely seen in MP games, because you need to kill a troll, drake, swimmer, wose or other unit you usually don't want to kill with a WC.

- This change would make WCs more interesting and unique.

- Since some time WCs have no resistances what makes them little underpowered, this change would give them little boost.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Sounds cool, but...
IHMO the variations are too different for that, some are stronger than the default (troll), some are weaker (saurian), and some of the movetypes/resistance sets are very different.
The result would be too chaotic and all the variations don't have the same value.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Gus

Post by Gus »

Could it be only a change in skins then? At least it'd showcase the wonderful artistic content available...
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Noyga wrote:Sounds cool, but...
IHMO the variations are too different for that, some are stronger than the default (troll), some are weaker (saurian), and some of the movetypes/resistance sets are very different.
The result would be too chaotic and all the variations don't have the same value.
Sounds like an excellent description of traits. :)

I don't have a problem with the idea per se, but it would probably screw up the balance at least somewhat, and so is unlikely to be used.

Random idea: Could it only choose from among the corpses available from the opposing faction(s)? So, if you're facing drakes, it might be a drake, but otherwise it wouldn't be. Same with trolls, etc.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Gus wrote:Could it be only a change in skins then? At least it'd showcase the wonderful artistic content available...
Um, so some of the WCs look like zombie mermen, but can't actually swim?
Not good.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:I don't have a problem with the idea per se, but it would probably screw up the balance at least somewhat, and so is unlikely to be used.

Random idea: Could it only choose from among the corpses available from the opposing faction(s)? So, if you're facing drakes, it might be a drake, but otherwise it wouldn't be. Same with trolls, etc.
That would be really cool.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Yeah, I more pretty corpsies for the necromancers!

:D :D :D
Leo

Post by Leo »

I think this is great idea!!

It resolves problem with undead too boring, and demonstrating all good art that artist done for this game.

Yes, walking corps are different in strength, but also units with traits.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Eleazar wrote:
Gus wrote:Could it be only a change in skins then? At least it'd showcase the wonderful artistic content available...
Um, so some of the WCs look like zombie mermen, but can't actually swim?
Not good.
- Nothing in what i said implied ALL skins were to be used.
- I don't find it very logical that a zombie merman can swim in the first place. It's more zombie than merman, imo. So i wouldn't find it "not good".
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I have thought for a while on how to do this. I have come up with a couple of possibilities:

1) random recruitment: add a tag "recruit_variation=drake,suarian,default" which would specify for a unit_type that when recruited the variation of the unit would be randomly seleceted from the comma seperated listed

2) make variations directly accesable in the recruit list so, in the scenario file have something like "recruit_list=walking_corpse[drake],walking_corpse[default]" This would then allow the player to decide which version of walking corpse to recruit, and allow scenario designers to, say, only allow the recruitment of troll walking corpses after the undead player has defeated the troll king.

3) Both.

I don't think that this would be a difficult modification to the code base.

Granted my perspective on this is heavily weighted towards Single Player mode, not MP games.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Noyga wrote:IHMO the variations are too different for that, some are stronger than the default (troll), some are weaker (saurian), and some of the movetypes/resistance sets are very different.
That's exactly what would make them more fun.
turin wrote:Sounds like an excellent description of traits. :)
Something like overgrown traits indeed. :wink:
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Darth Fool wrote:Granted my perspective on this is heavily weighted towards Single Player mode, not MP games.
I think this could work for MP as well, the devs would just have to define the costs correctly for the stronger / weaker variations and maybe not include all of them.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Darth Fool wrote:Granted my perspective on this is heavily weighted towards Single Player mode, not MP games.
IMO this would be nice for MP too.
Gus

Post by Gus »

DarthFool's suggestion would be VEWY SWEET for SP =)
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

anything that makes undead not so boring is fine...

i like undead very much, but walking corpses are a waste of money at the moment... they are slow, weak and die easily due to lack of resistances...

i seriously think giving you the ability to chose between variations of walking corpses would be very very nice:

- a swimming corpse if you have to defend water
- a troll corpse with low defense but bore hp
- a riding corpse with good movement on planes, but lower defense and movement penalties on all other grounds
and so on...

(all these units are allready there, and finely balanced, but very difficult to get, due to low damage and only two attacks of WCs)

seems very very nice!

I like the idea of making WCs which you could get from killing enemies available in mp...

the other would be always allowing to recruit at least swimming and riding corpses...