EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF OPEN SOURCE GAMES

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF OPEN SOURCE GAMES

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

If you really hate stupid people, get a girlfriend.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF OPEN SOURCE GAMES

Post by Eleazar »

La_vie_en_Wose wrote:Here.
It'a a long list, but i don't think it has nearly as many titles as freshmeat or the game tome displays.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Re: EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF OPEN SOURCE GAMES

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Eleazar wrote:
La_vie_en_Wose wrote:Here.
It'a a long list, but i don't think it has nearly as many titles as freshmeat or the game tome displays.
Yes. This page is more interesting I guess
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

The list isn't exhaustive, there is a lot of open the is a lot of missing ones like :
- Vulture's eye/claws
- Gnome Sudoku
- GL-117
- Foobillard
- Maelstrom
- Mirrormagic
- Powermanga
- Pingus
- PPRacer
- Koules
... ect ...
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Noyga wrote: ...
- Pingus
I noticed the absence of that one too. It hasn't been updated for a very long time though.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Umm, guys, it's Wikipedia: if a game is missing from the list you can just add it!

[EDIT] I've done Pingus and Vulture's now.

[EDIT2] The Wikipedia list will probably never be complete because they have 'notability' requirements (for articles anyway - it probably extends to lists too).
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

irrevenant wrote:Umm, guys, it's Wikipedia: if a game is missing from the list you can just add it!
I find this very funny.
Noyga wrote: - Maelstrom
I didn't know that Maelstrom was no more a shareware. That was an Ambrosian software right ? That'd be great to see an "opened escape velocity".
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

La_vie_en_Wose wrote:
irrevenant wrote:Umm, guys, it's Wikipedia: if a game is missing from the list you can just add it!
I find this very funny.
Whyso?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

1. Add something
2. Wait until Wikipedia deems it unnecesary or non-compliant to the rules
3. ???
4. Vandalism!
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

I would prefer some list with additional information like these: Is the game finished and relatively bug-free (stable version)? If there are hundreds of similar free games, what is the most significant difference of this one? Is the game user-friendly, sanely difficult? Generally: what quality the game is? But because the "quality" is too subjective, splitting it to more detailed criteria would be more useful. Instead of downloading and installing all available free games, I would prefer to install only those where is a high probability that I will like them.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:1. Add something
2. Wait until Wikipedia deems it unnecesary or non-compliant to the rules
3. ???
4. Vandalism!
Wikipedia can get a little bureaucratic at times, but if a change is reverted there's usually a good reason for it (in this case, they're after a list of notable Open Source Games that are both Open Source and Open Content).

I've added a few things to that list now, and none of them have been reverted.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Viliam wrote:I would prefer some list with additional information like these: Is the game finished and relatively bug-free (stable version)? If there are hundreds of similar free games, what is the most significant difference of this one? Is the game user-friendly, sanely difficult? Generally: what quality the game is? But because the "quality" is too subjective, splitting it to more detailed criteria would be more useful. Instead of downloading and installing all available free games, I would prefer to install only those where is a high probability that I will like them.
Me too. That's a full time job. I've been playing Enigma which is interesting and very well done ( if you like puzzles ).
Vegastrike is excellent and very well done but need contributors NOW.
Bz Flag sucks.
Well... That's an exhaustive list with exhaustive projects.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Viliam wrote:I would prefer some list with additional information like these: Is the game finished and relatively bug-free (stable version)? If there are hundreds of similar free games, what is the most significant difference of this one? Is the game user-friendly, sanely difficult? Generally: what quality the game is? But because the "quality" is too subjective, splitting it to more detailed criteria would be more useful. Instead of downloading and installing all available free games, I would prefer to install only those where is a high probability that I will like them.
http://linux.strangegamer.com comes close to what you want. It's in its fledgling stages but once it hits critical mass... it's server will crash. But if that doesn't happen it'll rock. :)
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

I would prefer some "censored" version of Linux Game Tome... a site which would display a list of new stable releases of Free games, with some custom selections like "do not show NetHack clones". Would it mean something like 1 entry per month? Great -- saves my time! Better than browsing through many entries and finding only 1 interesting thing each month. I just want to be sure I will not miss good new games; or the moments when a good game has its first stable version.

IMHO it is a big mistake trying to do as long lists as possible... this means the list will also contain unfinished games, unplayable games, closed source games, mods to closed source games,... Of course such lists may be very useful e.g. for someone who wants to participate in development of some unfinished game.

This is list of my favourite Free games (not 100% sure about all licenses) -- Battle for Wesnoth, Deadly Rooms of Death, Frozen Bubble, I Have No Tomatoes, Neverball, StepMania, Super Tux -- maybe I forgot some.

...and instead of complaining about the lack of good stable Free games, it would be better if I'd try to write some. If the situation is really as bad as I think it is, then the chances of success with new game are very high. ;-) Some lessons learned from Wesnoth should help.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

So what we need is a site for "Viliam's favourite Free games"? :)

The thing is, Linux Game Tome is as much a development resource as a source of Free games. It deliberately shows unfinished and unplayable games 'cos that way Developers can notice them and chip in.

BTW, were you familiar with the Advanced Search? It can at least filter out the closed source stuff for you.