Elves vs Dwarves

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zeno

Elves vs Dwarves

Post by Zeno »

some of u can relate to this.. but my favourite faction would have to be the elves... dont know why.. maybe cuz there so simple to use yet have few weaknesses (most obvious against undead) but they are still powerful..... my only problem is that when they fight dwarves.. they tend to get owned.... i try to lure the dwarves off the mountains and into the forest and i match up archers with dwarvish fighters with an elvish fighter behind... and i get my fighters to attack the thunderers so they cant get to my archers... used with healers... this should be a winning strategy... due to the resistances of the dwarves... the archers take a while to get the fighters dead and the thunderers are incredibly hard to hit.. making their melee dangerous. and then come the guardsmen... whic=h have low attack but are frustratingly hard to kill...

any hints how to beat them with minimal casualties??
why are people douches?
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

If there are lots of Thunderers, consider a Wose.
They have high resistance to Pierce, so the major thunderer attack can't hurt Woses. Woses also do good against Guardsman. Its true they are expensive, but one might be worth it.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Oh, and also, if you want to try something more daring, while all the Dwarves are forming a stodgy, hard-to-kill line...buy a scout or two and take all their villages! If you can keep your scouts alive doing this, even for a few turns, you will be able to overcome them through sheer numbers.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

ok, thanx for that ':D'
but wont a few guardsman in the right place be able to kill the scouts cuz of their pierce attack???
why are people douches?
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Might the Guardsman kill a scout with a pierce attack?

They certainly might. But then your opponent has to move one or two units away to its rear to attack the scout, and it is healing because it is in the village, while they are not, and they are losing income while you gain. So it might be a good use of 18 gold, and it might not. But when you get a deadlock, you have to do something!
Elvish Scientist

Post by Elvish Scientist »

Stealing the dwarfish villages is a good idea, since nearly all Knalgan units are slow. But beware of gryphons! If your oponent has one or more of them, you better don't sent your scouts alone. 3 scouts should be able to kill the gryphon.
JW

Post by JW »

Don't forget Shamans in this matchup. They weaken the powerful Dwarfs and slowing Ulfs means their death.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

As for :

1. Dwarvish Fighter

Lure them into forests if you can. They only have 30% defense there. Water will be better =)

2. Dwarvish Thunderer

If these are the annoying things, consider attacking them on grassland. Since they only have 1 chance to hit you, getting anything which gives a defense >50% will be good.

3. Dwarvish Guardsmen

Don't bother to even attack them, their defense is way TOO HIGH and their attack sucks too. Just make sure they don't get anywhere near your scouts.

4. Gryphons

They don't have ranged attack, and being elves, most of your units have ranged attack. Therefore you have the advantage. Luring a gryphon to attack an elvish archer in forest would be good. The archer will get hit very little (30% chance) and you can hit the gryphon a lot with your bow.

Last but not least, don't forget that elves are much more versatile than dwarves, in that they can heal and ambush. (Just how many races can ambush? =) )
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
dwarf dude

Post by dwarf dude »

Don't forget the wondeful world of shamans :D .

A shaman can render a gryphon down to 4 moves and 1 attack per turn with amagical hit. then, when you choose, you can march on in with a wose and turn him into a smear on the ground. all the while your scouts are dancing around them, collecting villages, and making the oponent regret recruiting a unit that costs 22 gold, cant get a hit in sideways (if your scouts are on one of the stolen villages), and can't keep up.
Dont read this. Seriously. Stop it! Im warning you! Thats it, your going to be asassinated by 42 Spanish fighting midgets with hacksaws!
IB

Post by IB »

Reading Konrads post makes me cry. Gryphons are 24 gold.
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

IB wrote:Reading Konrads post makes me cry. Gryphons are 24 gold.
As long as it isn't Konrad II's post... :P
IB

Post by IB »

I believe he thinks he is Konrad the third, so it is all your fault.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

IB wrote:I believe he thinks he is Konrad the third, so it is all your fault.
Good guess =)
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Airk

Post by Airk »

dwarf dude wrote:Don't forget the wondeful world of shamans :D .

A shaman can render a gryphon down to 4 moves and 1 attack per turn with amagical hit. then, when you choose, you can march on in with a wose and turn him into a smear on the ground. all the while your scouts are dancing around them, collecting villages, and making the oponent regret recruiting a unit that costs 22 gold, cant get a hit in sideways (if your scouts are on one of the stolen villages), and can't keep up.
Slow doesn't reduce number of attacks anymore, it halves damage instead. (Making it stronger than it used to be against units with many attacks, and roughly the same as it used to be on stuff with two.)
Imp

Post by Imp »

Airk wrote:
dwarf dude wrote:Don't forget the wondeful world of shamans :D .

Slow doesn't reduce number of attacks anymore, it halves damage instead. (Making it stronger than it used to be against units with many attacks, and roughly the same as it used to be on stuff with two.)
Not to mention that it is also not a magical attack.