Let's make a new battle princess!

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Hender

Let's make a new battle princess!

Post by Hender »

I don't like the battle princess much. It's got too much "battle" in it and not enough "princess". I've made a basic sprite for how I think the sprite can progress. I'm hoping for feedback and maybe help.

I don't know if she should be team coloured or not, but I made a TC-skirt anyway. I can recolour it later ... or maybe bling it up a bit.

:D
Attachments
battle-princess.PNG
battle-princess.PNG (1.9 KiB) Viewed 7466 times
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Your new princess doesn't look "battle" enough. Those clothes look like they would get all cuaght up if you started running around in them. Why not make the current battle-priness' hair more regal instead?
Viliam
Translator

Re: Let's make a new battle princess!

Post by Viliam »

Hender wrote:I don't know if she should be team coloured or not, but I made a TC-skirt anyway.
Team coloring IMHO makes sense only if the unit can belong to multiple sides.
Well, technically Li'sar can belong to multiple sides... ahem... no spoilers... anyway I do not think it is necessary to TC her. Normal "mass production" units should be TC'd, not heroes.
BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl »

I agree that we need to make a better looking battle princess, but i dont think the style should be changed at all.
TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 »

Why would you want it to be less "battle" and more 'princess"?

Does she fix her hair and put on fancy clothes before going to get drenched in blood and sweat?

Is she convinced that light silks offer better protection than platemail?

please.
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The current HttT Battle Princess frames (as of BFW 1.2 RC4) just need some modifications on coloring, shading and her pose IMO. Aside from that, she's okay. :)
DISCLAIMER: I'm no artist.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The biggest problem I see with the old sprite is that what she's wearing looks more like a catsuit than an armour. Plate armours weren't that form-fitting, and I don't think her armour should look radically different than what men are wearing. So doing away with the boob-bumps, wasp waist and putting the hip guards that usually attached to the bottom of the cuirass, even if it would make her less sexxee.

And the stance could be better, the knees-glued-together is too prudish, princess or no princess, for a serious fighter.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Hender

Post by Hender »

Damn! I just realized my sprite sucks. I'll need to polish it and post a new version.
Dragon Master wrote:Your new princess doesn't look "battle" enough. Those clothes look like they would get all cuaght up if you started running around in them.
True. I'll try to fix it.
Dragon Master wrote:Why not make the current battle-priness' hair more regal instead?
Because I don't like the pose, the armour, or the art (no offense to whoever made it or likes it). The hair isn't the problem.
TheLost1 wrote:Does she fix her hair and put on fancy clothes before going to get drenched in blood and sweat?
Being royalty I would very much expect her to wear fancy clothes as she is fighting. See Ashievere, or pretty much any Wesnoth character that isn't a spearman or knight. It gives character, to, well ... characters.
TheLost1 wrote:Is she convinced that light silks offer better protection than platemail? Please.
Are you convinced that a princess would be able to fight with 4-5 attacks while wearing platemail? Are you convinced that she should be the only character with full platemail except for knights, spearmen and lieutenants?

Perhaps more importantly, did you look at the portrait art before you started being rude to contributors?
Sgt. Groovy wrote:The biggest problem I see with the old sprite is that what she's wearing looks more like a catsuit than an armour.
I agree. It would also be impossible to move in, seeing as it's steel and wouldn't bend. Hence the armour design is flawed.

I'll make a new version addressing some of the crits.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett
Rev. V!

Post by Rev. V! »

"So doing away with the boob-bumps, wasp waist and putting the hip guards that usually attached to the bottom of the cuirass, even if it would make her less sexxee. "

Ahh, you want sexxee armour???
Do a search on Lorenz Helmschmeidt, an armourer from the late 1400's...specifically, look for a suit made for Sigismund of Tyrol.
8)

You will SEE sexy, and wasp waist....and the suit was made for a GUY
:shock:

Rev. V!
Rev. V!

Post by Rev. V! »

Here's a link to the Sigismund suit, second one down.
Also, note the weight!
40 lbs or so!
that's NOT heavy when it's spread out over your entire body.

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_gothic_armour.html

And, remember, it can LOOK like fabric and not BE fabric....
Like this-

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/rarm/h ... 88.1,2.htm

Just some thoughts/ideas...

Rev. V!
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I have always viewed the battle princess as a sort of joan-of-arc type attire:

Hender

Post by Hender »

The problem, of course, of making her look like a man, is that people won't be able to tell that she's a woman (apart from her portrait and the noise she makes when a poked with a sword).

Anyway, I made her slightly larger, as I realized she was tiny compared to Konrad, and modified pretty much everything apart from the face. She now measures 45 pixels to Konrad's 47.

Some changes are the chainmail skirt (with some TC cloth over it), less cloth covering the plated legs, leather gloves, and some resizing of the shoulder plates. Also, a new, more rapier-like sword in a new pose.

I think it's starting to look somewhat decent, but I am always biased till I've rested my eyes on something else for about an hour.

Any crits/edits/suggestions?
Attachments
battle-princess.PNG
battle-princess.PNG (3.09 KiB) Viewed 7230 times
--Terry Pratchett
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Several minor/major tweaks
Attachments
battle_princess.png
battle_princess.png (10.84 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
Flarin

Post by Flarin »

Much better :D
Layeth the Wesnoth
Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

Quick frankenstein of a Death Knight's body (plate armour, but not too chunky-looking), Battle Princess head, and the Elvish High Lord's sword.

I also gave her red hair, for no better reason than I like redheads, and I think it suits her better than blonde :wink:
Attachments
For those who prefer the Barbie look!
For those who prefer the Barbie look!
armoured_princess_blonde.png (1.63 KiB) Viewed 7131 times
armoured_princess.png
armoured_princess.png (1.98 KiB) Viewed 7143 times
I don't exist when you don't see me...
I don't exist when you're not here.

You bought a mask - I put it on.
You never thought to ask me if I wear it when you're gone.