default difficulties

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

troodon

default difficulties

Post by troodon »

When I load saved games, such as in multiplayers or campaigns, the description of the save is that the difficulty is medium. How can I change that to hard, so the ai is harder to beat in multiplayers?
Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

You can't. If you want a tougher MP game, either play human enemies or write a better AI script (somebody needs to!)
I don't exist when you don't see me...
I don't exist when you're not here.

You bought a mask - I put it on.
You never thought to ask me if I wear it when you're gone.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

One way to do it without actually making them smarter is to give them much more starting gold(and income) than you, which allows them to have more units, even if they don't use them any more smartly.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

The level of the AI is always controlled by increasing the number or quality of enemies (via starting gold and recruiting list). There is no way yet to make the AI smarter. Have a look at a campaign scenario config file to get an idea how it is done.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

The "difficulty" field is only used in campaign WML. The ai doesn't even look at it. A multiplayer scenario should not contain any difficulty-reading WML as there is no way to set it.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

Not quite true, you could select in various ways after the beginning of the scenario.
In The Fall Of Trent (I think), for example, at the start of the scenario you get control of a Peasant, which can move to one of four (labelled) locations. Which location it moves to, determines the scenario's difficulty. The Peasant is then switched to an AI side, and the scenario proper begins.
But it is true that there is no external difficulty control, other than the AI's gold reserve and income.
I don't exist when you don't see me...
I don't exist when you're not here.

You bought a mask - I put it on.
You never thought to ask me if I wear it when you're gone.