Give merfolk the submerge ability

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

:? I always thought the Merfolk were like lungfish -- yes they can breathe air, but would rather breathe water. Although I can't see arguing the "realism" or a fantasy creature's respiratory functions going anywhere useful here...
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Merfolk, however, might have to surface for air every now and then, spoiling any chance of ambushing anyone.
Why would they come up for air? As has already been established, mermen can clearly breathe water, or are at least assumed to do so. That's sort of the whole reason for giving them the submerge ability.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I'm sorry that I haven't read this entire thread but please guys, think about it. Do you have any freackin' idea how overpowered this would be?!?!?
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I don't think it would be overpowered at all on most MP maps. It's not like most units go romping through water anyway.
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Dragon Master wrote:I'm sorry that I haven't read this entire thread but please guys, think about it. Do you have any freackin' idea how overpowered this would be?!?!?
Why? I can't think of any map within mainline with a considerable amount of deep water (not sure about that meteor / lagoon maps though). That said, I don't see many balancing issues, too. In case there would be really to much deep water on a map it could easily be changed to shallow water without breaking balance, imho.

P.S.: It would actually be nice if we had some maps with deep water in mainline like the second one in this thread. Thus people could experiment with hiding strategies a bit more.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Chris NS wrote:Submerged skeletons can also just stand there underwater. Merfolk, however, might have to surface for air every now and then, spoiling any chance of ambushing anyone.
I totally disagree. A merman is more comfortable in water with its fishlike abilities than an overwheighted skeleton ( iron shield, helmet and sword at least ) whose first ambush movement will only result in making hippocampuses and plankton to flee.
Last edited by La_vie_en_Wose on January 11th, 2007, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you really hate stupid people, get a girlfriend.
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

I think its a great idea. If balance will be a problem perhaps only some of the mermen units should get the submerge ability.
Leo

Post by Leo »

Ken Oh wrote:
Leo wrote:But now AI cheatly ignore ambush & submerge and I can't remember any mainline campaign where AI use merefolk (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Read mine and Darth Fool's posts.
Ok, so Bay of Pearls probably will require some rebalance. :D
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

La_vie_en_Wose wrote:I totally disagree. A merman is more comfortable in water with its fishlike abilities than an overwheighted skeleton ( iron shield, helmet and sword at least ) whose first ambush movement will only result in making hippocampuses and plankton to flee.
That's why skeletons suck big-time if they actually fight in deep water.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Do mermen do really need submerge ? What it would add to the game ?
On MP maps it is (like ambush), rather pointless.

This would make the skeleton submerge more useless in the rare cases (mostly campaigns) it can be exploited.
Because the enemy (mermen) could be hidden too, and it is much more mobile..
A bad idea IMHO.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Noyga wrote:Do mermen do really need submerge ? What it would add to the game ?
On MP maps it is (like ambush), rather pointless.
how is ambush pointless, unless you play No Fog? Even in shroud games you can get ambush units (woses/rangers if AoH) into position.

But on the other hand...I agree that giving mermen submerge would be really overpowered...Maybe give it to one of the branches (hunter comes to mind).
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Submerge and Ambush seem to be the same ability, on different terrains.

In the interest of simplicity, why not drop Submerge, and add an advancement option to each terrain-specialized race for an Ambush capable unit on the appropriate terrain?
- elf, forest, ranger
- merman, deepwater, spearman
- dwarf, steep mountain + rocky cave, sapper (rockfall ranged attack, could fill a pre-runemaster slot)
- etc

One problem with this is the races might become too symmetric and thus boring...
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

tr0ll wrote:One problem with this is the races might become too symmetric and thus boring...
This is indeed the reason why not all races have an "ambush-type" ability on one of their units.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Dragon Master wrote:I'm sorry that I haven't read this entire thread but please guys, think about it. Do you have any freackin' idea how overpowered this would be?!?!?
It's overpowered because you're taking a unit that specializes in water and making it even better at that. Mermen are useful enough when used properly, we don't need to beat dead horse by making the unit scream "put me in water!"
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

we don't need to beat dead horse by making the unit scream "put me in water!"
That's exactly the impression a merman unit SHOULD make. If you're not going to do so, then why call them mermen at all?