Napoleonnoth

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Gus wrote:@Casual User
'kay sir, didn't know sir, sorry sir.
Sorry, I didn't mean to snap. I was in the middle of exams, and... you know...

Does the zip archive work?

Also, do the custom weapon specials work?
Nasbat wrote:If you at some point added a Turkish faction you would have all the factions and in the right time period for a Crimean War campaign. Although the charge of the light brigade might be intresting.
Considering the unit stats, I think the most modern war that Napoleonnoth could semi-accurately portray would be the 1870 franco-prussian war, and even that's stretching it.

I think the Crimean war could not be portrayed using units from Napoleonnoth.

Case in point, the charge of the light brigade could work in Napoleonnoth. It would be an uphill fight (pun intended), but a light cavalry charge against embattled artillery might be successful using Napoleonnoth's unit stats.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Casual User wrote:
Gus wrote:@Casual User
'kay sir, didn't know sir, sorry sir.
Sorry, I didn't mean to snap. I was in the middle of exams, and... you know...
Don't worry, you did not =)
Does the zip archive work?
Aye aye, but i haven't really played, only launched it and recruited some units, i did not have time to "get in".
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Excellent, I just got around to playing it. I enjoy the focus on ranged. However a bit more differentiation between factions would be nice, so far as art goes.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Ryorin wrote:Excellent, I just got around to playing it. I enjoy the focus on ranged. However a bit more differentiation between factions would be nice, so far as art goes.
The whole point, as I understand it, was that the factions depicted all use similar uniforms, as did their real-world counterparts.

Not only that, but reusable artwork is probably what allowed Napoleonoth to be released this quickly.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Not only that, but reusable artwork is probably what allowed Napoleonoth to be released this quickly.
No doubts about it.

There are 79 unit sprites in Napoleonnoth. If I had taken the time to do each of them separately... I'll let you imagine how long it would have taken me.

Incidentally, the art is due for a make-over.

First of all, level will be indicated by a number of medals in the upper-right corner, cutting the number of unit sprites even more.

Second of all, factional differentiation will be done by changing the color of the uniform, which will be very easy to notice.

In the long run, I hope to get rid of the current sprites (who are edits of Neorice's thugs) and replace them with self-made ones (reused art will still be a part of it, I will simply be re-using self-made sprites).

I am currently working on a personal style, and one can see the general direction I will be taking here.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Today's message is just to announce that the development hiatus is now over. Finals have come and have gone, and I am once again ready to work on Napoleonnoth.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Great :D
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
BloodIssyl

More unit types?????

Post by BloodIssyl »

Really sorry to come in so late with a unit tree suggestion, but i dont think that there is enough types of units in this faction. Even with the specials, it only gets up to five. I suggest adding these 2 unit trees:

Pikeman - Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe pikeman were still used during that era for anti-cavalry purposes, and this is my idea on that.

Pikeman - Halberdier - ????????

Also, i think you should have a certian cavalry type with an emphasis on melee, a sword cavalry unit. This makes you have a cavalry type for scouting, as well as cavalry that would do better up against artillery. It also creates a purpose for the Pikemen

Cavalry - Curiassier - Royal Guard

The sword cavalry would have better movement and more health than the other cavalry tree.

Please excuse anything stupid, redundant, or ignorant i might have said :oops:
BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl »

I just tried out the era, and it looks great.
My favorite are the Boreans, just becuase you can mass infantry
The Peonians are also good becuase they have a 14-2 artillery.
I think you forgot to put steadfast on the Guardsman unit.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

BloodIssyl wrote:Pikeman - Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe pikeman were still used during that era for anti-cavalry purposes, and this is my idea on that.
Most european countries abandonned the pike in the 1680s.

Even Sweden, who (if memory serves) kept using pikemen longer than any other country, stopped using them by the 1730s.

Pikes would sometimes still be used by militias, and infantry seargents used them for awhile, but they completely disappeared from the battlefield before the 19th century.
BloodIssyl wrote:Also, i think you should have a certian cavalry type with an emphasis on melee, a sword cavalry unit.
The Tunnarian cavalry of Rheinnen is exactly what you describe.

Also, the Borean Cossacks, as well as the Poenian and Albinen officers have only a pistol for ranged attacks, making them more of a melee cavalry.

If I wanted to add such an unit, I would make it a lancer.

Apart from which, I don't think there are too few unit types. The various units have varied uses, and their branchings on level-up are very different in utility.

I am very receptive to new unit ideas, but will add new units if and only if it appears clear that they are necessary for good gameplay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from this, today's message is to announce that, with 1.2 released, I will probably upgrade my version of Wesnoth in the near future.

Assuming everything goes well art-wise, there should be, by sunday of next week, a good and working version of Napoleonnoth on the campaign server, featuring the new and (IMO) improved graphics.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Evening, gentlemen!

Today's message is to announce one and all and all and one that the version of Napoleonnoth that is on the campaign sever (version 0.1b) works. The attachment that was on the forum will be removed.

The new art is not ready yet, so the version currently on the server is with the old art.

The new art will be uploaded during the next week, and will be version 0.15 of Napoleonnoth.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

For an unknown reason, you cannot play in the Classical Era right after downloading it off the server. You have to close down Wesnoth, and then re-start it to be able to play.

I would also like to remind everyone that, when uploading a new version of an add-on, it is generally better to remove the previous version.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Today's post is apologetic. Due to a variety of reasons I have no control over (most of which have to do with me being lazy), version 0.2 of Napoleonnoth will not be released as soon as I had hoped.

I'll do my best to release it this week, but let us simply say that it will be ready when it will be ready (less colloquially known as IWBRWIWBR).
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

It' a bit late, but I've just looked through this thread today, sooo... I've noted you've changed Rainnen to Rheinnen to make it look more Germanic. As a German, I don't think it worked that well. Granted, the river Rhine ("Rhein") has an 'Rh', but that's sort of the only word that has, apart from words originally Greek (like "rhythm").

I'd suggest a name ending in -reich, -land, -ien. Ending in -en would work too, but not not with the double 'n' (You'd have a double 'n' so the vowel before it is pronounced short instead of long, but diphtongs like 'ei' don't have a short version, so a single 'n' would be better). OTOH, if you replace the 'rh' with an 'r', you'd have the word "rein" (=pure, clean), which you might or might not want.

So I'd suggest Reinien or Reinland, if you don't want something else entirely. Or if you keep it, it's not that big a deal, but the Germanic flavor would be only for non-germans ;)
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Ozymandias wrote:So I'd suggest Reinien or Reinland, if you don't want something else entirely.
One thing that is sure is that, because of how the unit files and images are organized, it will remain a name that starts with 'R'.

Rheinnen is inspired from the Austrian empire. "Reinien" might be fine, the Austrian empire having had a vague notion about itself as being "pure and pristine" (being the only expressedly Catholic major empire of the time).

How about simply Reinen?
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Seems a bit shortish. Reinen Empire? Reinenreich?
Rheinnenreich? Come to think about it, the 'Rh' and 'nn' don't seem too bad. Ack, here I am discussing with myself and losing. :roll:

Oh well, just follow your feelings. Me needs sleep, I think...