Microphone

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Draizis

Microphone

Post by Draizis »

My idea is the following:
You can put an option to give us the microphone in game.
This option would be nice because we can speak with friends without to stop playing. While if we write, one little not to play at the same time.
Please think has this idea :)
p.s.: I am french
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

unlike most game, wesnoth uses TCP and not UDP for network.

this means that unlike most games, you are not connected to other players, but only to the server.

thus all data, including voice data would have to go through our poor little server

:(
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Just use Teamspeak.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
mrchadt

Post by mrchadt »

You can use skype or msn or any chat software of your choice. I know skype works with most linux os's.
no obligation
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

When my sister was playing World of Warcraft, she used a Skype conference to communicate with her group. It was easy, and it worked nice without having to be a part of game. So you could try the same. When you start a game, just ask users to use some existing VoIP software. The software usually does not require user interaction after you start the conversation, so you can have Wesnoth on fullscreen again.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Agreed that external software will do the job just fine.

Would it be possible to build in a bit of support for it into Wesnoth, however? eg. Allow a player to enter IP & Channel info for voice software in the game lobby, and have that info visible to people who joined the game through the lobby?
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

irrevenant wrote:Would it be possible to build in a bit of support for it into Wesnoth, however? eg. Allow a player to enter IP & Channel info for voice software in the game lobby, and have that info visible to people who joined the game through the lobby?
Nice idea! How about extending it a bit? Let's have a "user profile" information, which could include:
* languages spoken
* ICQ, MSN, Skype,... contacts
* skill
* real name
* ...any more ideas?

The information would be internally stored as a list of "key, value" pairs. There would be a given set of keys, which would be displayed localized. The values would sometimes be typed directly from keyboard, sometimes selected from a pull-down menu; those selected from the pull-down menu would be localized too.

In lobby or in game player should be able to click on other player's name and display his/her profile.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Would that not require registratable names?
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Would that not require registratable names?
It wouldn't require it. One possible way to do it would be to store that information on the local machine and when logging on to a server, send that info along with the username.
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Xan wrote:
Maeglin Dubh wrote:Would that not require registratable names?
It wouldn't require it. One possible way to do it would be to store that information on the local machine and when logging on to a server, send that info along with the username.
And what should the user do if he/her loses the local files were that info was saved on? (For example, reformatting a partition, reinstalling BFW to a fresh directory, replacing the computer, etc.). Maybe a voluntary registration system would be required in that case, for those who want to use it.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Shadow Master wrote:And what should the user do if he/her loses the local files were that info was saved on?
1) Backup the "preferences" file.
2) Write that info again.

These IMHO should be only a few strings, not a novel. Real name, contact in different messengers, location, spoken languages... what else? If someone wants to give more information about them, let's include the "web homepage" field, and they can write a novel about themselves on the web.