Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

romnajin wrote:His work here looks pretty good to me:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=15
This is from a non-artist's point of view of course.
Look further:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Contrib:-wight-

That should dispel any such notion.
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

i found the lips on google images, sorry wasnt thinking
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

This came up in the Ultimatum discussion, but wasn't clearly settled as far as I know.

If I copy that image (by hand, with a pencil), then scan it and use it as a reference to draw something similar but non-identical, am I violating copyright law?
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Fiach Dubh wrote:This came up in the Ultimatum discussion, but wasn't clearly settled as far as I know.

If I copy that image (by hand, with a pencil), then scan it and use it as a reference to draw something similar but non-identical, am I violating copyright law?
Technically, yes, in this specific case, not really.

Something this small, and this isolated (e.g. not so many features) of a part of the face would hard to argue as someone elses' art. It would also be so changed in the process that it would be nearly a portrait of a different person.

It's also a decent practice to do - not necessarily on other's drawings for anatomical reference, although doing it to others drawings for technique and design (say, of costuming) is good practice. Doing this to photographs of a real subject in the same position as the study drawing is an excellent practice - in fact it can even be better than drawing from life, since the subject and 'camera' will not move during drawing, and cause you to draw, or worse, memorize, inconsistent perspective projections across different portions of the face.

It is perfectly legal to copy poses, perspective projections (e.g. the radical changes in the 2d shape-on-the-canvas of an object when it gets viewed from a different angle), composition, color scheme and many component "atoms" of a drawing/photograph. Use the process only to learn, though; if in a drawing, ask why xyz worked for them as you copy it - also stick to only copying single facets - perhaps using the same pose for the figure, but drawing a completely different figure (this is called isolation of variables; by knowing that the pose will work, any faults in the work lie elsewhere. This dramatically accelerates learning in any artistic discipline).

In older schoolery, they called this practice "studying from the masters", and students would apply this to famous renaissance painters. So long as it stays private, it's legal to draw/copy anything - meaning said practice is totally legal.

Be warned, though, that it is illegal to copy the sum of the parts, and is illegal to copy regions of a image. Imitation of fundamental components is fine, copying things anywhere near verbatim, wrong.

As usual, IANAL, and my legal advice is to be taken caveat emptor. I could well be wrong.
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Don't worry, my version won't be recognisably connected to that one - I can't draw mouths for s***, I just need it as a guide for the shape of the lips, the colours and expression will be different.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

A pick-axe; however, it should also be able to double as an ice-pick icon.
Attachments
pick-axe.png
pick-axe.png (3.96 KiB) Viewed 5600 times
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

Naga sword.
Attachments
sword-naga.png
sword-naga.png (4.26 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
Last edited by Xan on December 26th, 2006, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gus

Post by Gus »

That rocks =)
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Cool naga-sword. Thanks, Xan. Of course, I'd probably have to recolor it-- that gold looks a bit too yellow.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

I'm not sure it's supposed to be gold; certainly it wouldn't be anything close to pure gold, and the current color matches the portraits pretty well.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

zookeeper wrote:If you want to, feel free to remind me in...about 4-5 days via a PM, and I'll make the sounds to go with that.
Hey, no one reminded me, but I did the flail sounds anyway (maybe needs volume level tweakment still).
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

could you make an icon for scythe attack? thanks
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Nice. For the Naga sword, I had a brief look, and it seemed cartoony to me. But when I stopped to study it, I could see all the detail in it. So, at First Glance, (most players in game) it looks cartoony compared to others, IMO. The problem seems to be, that its like a 'filled' sword, with about 4 different colours, since they blend so well.

It might just be me, but I don't know.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

If you make a Celtic sword, Fiach and I will both appreciate it, so you'll be satisfying two requests with one image. :wink:
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

:hmm:

Ice breath... or something.
Attachments
breath-ice.png
breath-ice.png (6.68 KiB) Viewed 5225 times