Lobby of Multiplayer incredibly laggy?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Para

Lobby of Multiplayer incredibly laggy?

Post by Para »

anyone notice how much lag there is in the 1.2 version of wesnoth in the lobby?
im the one you think of

Post by im the one you think of »

That will be because the current server is the server for both versions, stable and development, so it will have twice as many players.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

im the one you think of wrote:That will be because the current server is the server for both versions, stable and development, so it will have twice as many players.
Eh...false.

And yes, the laggy lobby is a known issue. Hopefully it'll get resolved in the future (rather near than far, too!).
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well i think she meant that most the players that previously played on the old 1.0 server and on the dev 1.1 server now play on the same 1.2 server.
So yes the server is more crowded.
Btw the new 1.3 unstable release will probably be out soon (soon means IIRWIIR ;)).
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Correct me if I am wrong but could not this be improved by decreasing the delay in the lobby loop? If it takes so long to process the data and freezes for some milliseconds that you get very few frames per second.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
themroc

Post by themroc »

Noyga wrote:Well i think she meant that most the players that previously played on the old 1.0 server and on the dev 1.1 server now play on the same 1.2 server.
This may be the matter, but even on former unstable Releases, the Lobby takes a lot of Processor (ca. 90% here), and this cant be normal!
Noyga wrote:So yes the server is more crowded.
This is true, and may explain the returning of an old Bug. The "No Multiplayerside available" is back since 1.2.
Noyga wrote:Btw the new 1.3 unstable release will probably be out soon (soon means IIRWIIR ;)).
I know so many Veteran Players, who will be Celebrate this moment. :D
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

I concur with the observations by para and themroc.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

As Sapient pointed out to me, I think this is mostly NOT a server or network issue, but an issue with the client-side code for processing the lobby being somewhat inefficient when there is a large lobby with lots of updates.

If a coder could give this some attention, it'd be very helpful. :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
AlexK

Binary saves

Post by AlexK »

I just turned off Binary Saves under preferences advanced menu. In going into the lobby I immediately noticed that it made a huge difference in how laggy the lobby was. Still a bit jittery, but far better then before.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

hmm that's really weird, did other people observe that ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

I'm running Wesnoth v1.2 on a Dual 1ghz G4 with OSX 10.3.9.

After reading this thread I connected to the official multiplayer server and compared the lobby lag difference depending on whether Binary Saves are on or off.

I tested lobby performance with a few different variations:
a.) Going into lobby with Binary Saves on, then turning them off from the lobby
b.) Going into the lobby with Binary Saves off, then turning them on
c.) Going into the lobby with Binary Saves on, then quitting, turning Binary Saves off, quitting again and then entering the lobby... etc

Surprisingly, turning Binary Saves off did indeed provide a major performance boost in the lobby, just like AlexK noted. AlexK, do you think you could provide your computer specs/OS as a way of making sure this isn't a single platform issue?

Anecdotally: Prior to this, I thought that the people complaining about horribly bad lobby lag were overreacting or something. I never noticed the lobby lag being notably bad... But I've always had Binary Saves turned off.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Running wesnoth-1.2-windlows.exe on Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 w service pack 2 on my Gateway Celeron(R) computer. It has 760 MB of RAM and runs at 2.8 GHz.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

A sticky thread has been posted in the Corner's Corner if you wish to help with this issue. It is titled "Performance Issue: Lobby Lag." Thanks.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."